Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP4

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed some weird "action perception" stuff myself...the p105b I tried felt better (and different) than the mox8 to me yet I understand they have the same action. It may have been pre-conception (I didn't know at the time they were the same) and of course there may be differences in programming, sounds/fx, and perhaps the velocity curve settings that influence how you think it "feels"

and also possibly whether you're playing through internal speakers...?

Probably so. Heck I've even noticed a difference from day to day on the *same* board, which is obviously some difference in me that day :)

My GC also didn't have these in, but the sales guy said the Yamaha truck was coming this week for a big delivery...hoping it's in there! Even more hoping the Sam Ash near work gets one in.

Bryan, I'll have some quality time with it at the end of the week. Been swamped at work-starting early and getting home really late. But I will say this: the CP-4 is without a doubt a keeper. The more I play it, the more I fall in love with the action. The CP-4 is very inspiring, and musical. I happen to love the strings and the pads too. The interface is quick. I've tried layering many combinations and am having a blast. The AP's and EP's are exceptional. The "other" sounds, as Yamaha puts it are fine. I really like the variety of drum kits. But, I won't be relying on the "other" sounds. I'm going to purchase either a Korg Kronos 61 or Motif XF 61 if my XS-8 sells. The organs are okay but nowhere in the ballpark of a clone. The leslie sim is (I don't want to diss Yamaha for this but,) not happening. I don't have a Ventilator. I'm leaning towards the original Kronos 61 (they're on clearance at a great price!). I will use the organs on that. The CP-4 is a great all around DP, but as you know it's not a synth. With the addition of the mod wheel it makes for a good controller. It shines in the most important areas where a DP should shine.

I've been lurking a bit, but signed up so that I could post my initial impressions of the CP4 - which arrived today from GC. I bought the CP4 primarily for solo piano, as I mostly use a plethora of synths for production. It will primarily see use in my studio rather than on the road.

I like the action. No, it's not the same as a grand - but none of these stage pianos are. It is, however, very well done. The connection is definitely "there."

The pianos sound very nice indeed (via Neumann KH310 monitors), although I will be triggering VST's for my recording work. Many of the non-piano sounds don't particularly thrill me, per se. That is OK, as I don't plan on using them.

To gauge performance ability, I played Erik Satie's Nocturne No. 3, Philip Glass' Solo Piano, a little Milton Babbitt, and a variety of jazz standards. I also tried my hand at a Robert Helps Etude, but struggled a bit (my fault, not the CP4's).

I haven't assimilated the CP4 into my studio yet, but I did plug a MIDI cable out from it directly into my Prophet VS and play around a bit. Now that was heaven! The acoustic pianos layered with the Prophet's "Film Strings" sounded off-the-hook. Even the non-piano sounds were great when layered with some of the VS's more esoteric sounds. At one point, I threw in a simple bass line sequenced on a Moog Minitaur and just lost myself in the pleasure of playing.

As for the build, it is plenty solid enough while being exceptionally light. It may not be a tank, but the trade off is absolutely worth it.

Edit: BTW, does anyone know if there is a music stand that fits this keyboard?

I am hoping to hear some updates regarding the EP sounds in the CP4 and how many of the acoustic samples pianos are actually useful.

It looks like Yamaha threw all of the eggs into the basket as as as the acoustics go. I am not sure about the EP's.

Hopefully a CP4 will appear in my area soon.

I had been strongly considering acquiring a CP5 over the past few months before this thread showed up last month so now I'm all excited to try out the CP4.

Neither Steve's Music and Long & McQuade in Toronto can tell me yet when they're going to show up.

Yeah for me the only options on the table for my tastes are the CP4 and Nord Stage 2. But the NS2 is a bit old now and twice as expensive. I am hoping for an update to be honest.

If Nord bring out a NS3 with some new features I would be strongly influenced to go that way as I think Nord just do stuff right when it comes to good sounding keyboards for the gig...

Well, after the experience of the past few days, I think I will be pulling the trigger on a CP4. I've had a month with almost no gear set up in the office/studio, as my focus has been on other work, and getting said office cleared out somewhat, so my most regular instrument has been the Clavinova CVP509 in church.

In the light of this, coming back to the NS2 in the past couple of days has really seen my frustrations with the Nord's keyboard response flare up. It really is pretty impossible to play with a wide range of expression on the standard response curves. And the problem IS to do more with the curves than the keyed when I hooked a Kronos 61 up to the Nord, I got a far better playing experience.

The two things which have given me pause in moving away from the Nord are a) the incredibly positive feedback I've had from other musos when using it on gigs and b) the realisation that I'm going to effectively lose a chunk of money ditching it so soon. But having played the Nord again tonight, and trying several different samples, I'm longing for something more expressive.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Could anyone who has played a CP4 tell me what the CP80s are like? I saw one earlier comment that they were nice, but it wasn't in much depth. I love my CP60M, and I don't intend to sell it anytime soon, but I wondered if the CP4 could be a portable replacement. What I'm most curious about is whether the equalizer affects the piano's character in a similar way that it does on the real thing. For example, if you turn the mids up real high, you get a smooth electric sound; turn it down and the bare acoustic character comes through. Is the behavior of the equalizer replicated at all?
Yamaha CP60M, Kurzweil SP76, Kurzweil RG200

Hi Mike,

I just checked the Data List manual and there are two preamps labelled as CP and CP88. I can't audition these right now, but I'm pretty sure these are modeled after the original preamps inside the original CP series. Hope this info helps.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

I've been going through the CP4 manual, and I can't see where the "local off" parameter is one of the options in Master Mode. On my CP33, I turn "local off" for my left hand bass to transmit to my motif rack without the CP sounding. Surely I have missed this?

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

I saw that, but what I'm wanting to do is turn the LocalSW off for the lower keyboard split only, not globally. In other words, I'm trying to play piano on the upper split and LHB on the lower end using a module without the internal sounds sounding on the lower end.

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

Thought of that, too. On my CP33, I use one of the volume sliders to control the volume on the bass module and the other one controls the piano. If the CP4 master mode works just like the CP33, I'm all in. Just trying to make sure it will do what I need. Thanks!

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

Yes, a split with a null sound of some sort on one side would be the way to do it. Local Off is always a global setting, you can't apply it to just one part of the keyboard.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The CP33 does have a "Internal Tone Generator On/Off Status" which can be specified separately for each part. But that is not the same as Local Off, which the CP33 also has, which is global (and, if set to off, overrides the other setting).

From the manual, the CP4 has "part buttons" that look like they will also do what you want, though.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 2 months later...

UK user here, just pulled the trigger on a floor-demo CP4 which I got for £1530 (although the next day one appeared for 1429 on Ebay - typical!).

I'm delighted with it. My main reason for buying was the action, and it does not disappoint. This is easily the best action I've ever played, although coming from an FP4-F this is no surprise (I did however try all the current Roland/Kawai ES7/Korg offerings).

I play mainly classical and with the Roland - although I loved the sound - I was just never inspired to play. Now I am, although the brighter sound of the Yamaha is something I'm still adjusting to.

It also is perfect for gigging; light and easy to navigate the UI, and the other sounds are very usable aside from the organs.

Thanks timwat - yes I tend to gravitate towards the CFIIIs sample for classical stuff. I find the CFX just a little too bright but can imagine it would suit a band situation very well.

And although the CFIIIs is available on the CP5, I can imagine the lighter action on that not being to my taste...the CP4 is just the perfect weighting.