Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Semi-OT: Saw Journey Last Night

Moonglow

So I saw Journey last night in the northern burbs of Chicago. They played at a place called Ravinia representing a really nice outdoor "artsy" venue with superb acoustics (they often feature orchestras and solo piano performances). We were sitting just about dead-center in the Pavilion/seated section and the sound, to include volume, was perfect.

Jonathan Cain played a Roland V-Piano, Jupiter-80, Hammond XK-3c (I think), Triton Studio, and a large rack containing Lord knows what. The V-Piano cut through the mix nicely, but had a tendency to sound a tad sterile and somewhat brittle at the high-mid and upper range. I wanted to hear more sustain or longer decay.....or something to make it sing a little more. The low end sounded great, especially during Jonathans (fantastic) solo piano intro to Open Arms.

As a new Jupiter-80 owner, I was pleased to hear some of the same patches I routinely use with my band (e.g., Separate Ways, analog brass/strings). It sat very nicely in the mix. I was surprised to see that none of the MIDI connections were being utilized on the Jupiter; it appeared to be a stand-alone instrument.

I was disappointed with the organ sound. I had a hard time hearing it in the mix, and when I did, it was a far cry from the greasy Gregg Rolie organs we have all come to know and love.

The Triton sounded like typical Triton fare. I happen to like the Tritons, so you can take or leave that as you may!

Musically, the band was tight, although I heard far too many backing tracks (vocals, keys, guitar). The guys looked a little tired/bored, and Jonathan definitely needs to smile more. At times they presented somewhat like assembly-line workers punching-in on the clock.

The new singer, Arnel Pineda, has a very rich, dynamic voice, but you could definitely hear the effects of having to sing that catalog night after night. I was surprised at how small he looked on stage. I know that Neal Schon is rather short, but Arnel looked like a kid in comparison! Neal Schon continues to amaze, and their drummer, Deen Castronovo, is a powerhouse/madman with an excellent singing voice, as well. Ross Valory's bass playing was solid and melodic.

Overall, I enjoyed the show but was a little saddened in that I have seen Journey on numerous occasions over the years, but felt this would be my last. Ive heard them play their dirty dozen hits countless times, and they havent produced any new music that really grabs me. For those interested, here was the 105-minute set list:

1. Separate Ways, 2. Any Way You Want It, 3. Send Her my Love, 4. Chain Reaction, 5. Only the Young, 6. guitar solo/Star Spangled Banner/Stone In Love, 7. Just the Same Way, 8. Patiently (acoustic version), 9. Lights, 10. piano solo/Open Arms, 11. Feeling That Way/Anytime, 12. Escape, 13. Dead or Alive, 14. Wheel in the Sky, 15. Faithfully, 16. Be Good to Yourself, 17. Dont Stop Believing, 18. (encore) Lovin, Touchin, & Squeezin

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IIRC - Deen was who was actually singing during the later Steve Augeri years when Augeri lost it.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

So I saw Journey last night in the northern burbs of Chicago. They played at a place called Ravinia representing a really nice "artsy" venue with superb acoustics (they often feature orchestras and solo piano performances). We were sitting just about dead-center in the Pavilion/seated section and the sound, to include volume, was perfect.

Jonathan Cain played a Roland V-Piano, Jupiter-80, Hammond XK-3c (I think), Triton Studio, and a large rack containing Lord knows what. The V-Piano cut through the mix nicely, but had a tendency to sound a tad sterile and somewhat brittle at the high-mid and upper range. I wanted to hear more sustain or longer decay.....or something to make it sing a little more. The low end sounded fantastic, especially during Jonathans (fantastic) solo piano intro to Open Arms.

As a new Jupiter-80 owner, I was pleased to hear some of the same patches I routinely use with my band (e.g., Separate Ways, analog brass/strings). It sat very nice in the mix. I was surprised to see that none of the MIDI connections were being utilized on the Jupiter; it appeared to be a stand-alone instrument.

I was disappointed with the organ sound. I had a hard time hearing it in the mix, and when I did, it was a far cry from the greasy Gregg Rolie organs we have all come to know and love.

The Triton sounded like typical Triton fare. I happen to like the Tritons, so you can take or leave that as you may!

Musically, the band was tight, although I heard far too many backing tracks (vocals, keys, guitar). The guys looked a little tired/bored, and Jonathan definitely needs to smile more. At times they presented somewhat like assembly-line workers punching-in on the clock.

The new singer, Arnel Pineda, has a very rich, dynamic voice, but you could definitely hear the effects of having to sing that catalog night after night. I was surprised at how small he looked on stage. I know that Neal Schon is rather short, but Arnel looked like a kid in comparison! Neal Schon continues to amaze, and their drummer is a powerhouse/madman with an excellent singing voice, as well.

Overall, I was pleased with the show but a little saddened in that I have seen Journey numerous times over the years, but felt this would be my last. Ive heard them play their dirty dozen hits countless times, and they really havent produced any new music that grabs me. For those interested, here was the 105-minute set list:

1. Separate Ways, 2. Any Way You Want It, 3. Send Her my Love, 4. Chain Reaction, 5. Only the Young, 6. guitar solo/Star Spangled Banner/ Stone In Love, 7. Just the Same Way, 8. Patiently (acoustic version), 9. Lights, 10. piano solo/Open Arms, 11. Feeling That Way/Anytime, 12. Escape, 13. Dead or Alive, 14. Wheel in the Sky, 15. Faithfully, 16. Be Good to Yourself, 17. Dont Stop Believing, 18. (encore) Lovin, Touchin & Squeezin

Good description - "assembly line workers punching in on the clock".

Nothing Peeve's me off more , when I go to see a famous act and they look bored shitless (poor and unprofessional in my book).

I wanted my money back from a Meatloaf concert I went to about 20 years ago,he was a bored and burnt out shambles.

Brett.

Nothing Peeve's me off more , when I go to see a famous act and they look bored shitless (poor and unprofessional in my book).

Point taken, but I truly don't understand how these guys do it, playing the same freakin' songs night in and night out for 30 years...

I wanted my money back from a Meatloaf concert I went to about 20 years ago,he was a bored and burnt out shambles.

Burnt out? To me, he was always overcooked.

When I saw him , he was overcooked,overstuffed,eyes sunken and half closed , and (on top of that)at one point the band started to launch into the magnificent "took the words right out of my mouth" , and he goes "HOLD IT! , I MUST TELL YOU ALL SOMETHING!" -- band screech's to a deafening halt , and he goes BLA BLA BLA BLA........ about what I don't know. And he did it more than once.

If a band/performer looks bored - so will be the audience.

If " " " looks like hes having a lot of FUN - so will the audience.

If the performers look nervous - so the audience will feel nervous.

Many musicians don't realize this.

Brett.

5. Only the Young
Nice. Do they play it regularly?

Yes! I've actually heard them open with it.

No "Who's Crying Now?"

Nope. I was surprised not to hear that one, as well. Just speculation, but I suspect that they may have eliminated that song and included Just the Same Way, Feeling That Way/Anytime, to give Arnel a break. There was also a song that Deen sang (Dead or Alive, I think), and he doubled with Arnel on some of the high parts on other songs, as well.

The drummer is Deen Castronovo (Bad English).

I knew that! :D;)

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

5. Only the Young
Nice. Do they play it regularly?

Yes! I've actually heard them open with it.

It's always been one of my favorites, but because it was a non-album single and soundtrack song (Vision Quest), I feel like it's always been underrated.

Off to YouTube to see if I can find any version of the Open Arms piano intro...

Yeah, I almost wish I had recorded it on my phone, but sometimes you can focus so much on trying to record things that you miss the experience!

I think the recent movie/documentary "Don't Stop Believin': Everyman's Journey" features the same intro I saw. Good movie, even for the non-Journey fan. Here's the trailer:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvPD20KFagY

- George Bernard Shaw

Burnt out? To me, he was always overweight.

Fixed that for ya. :laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Point taken, but I truly don't understand how these guys do it, playing the same freakin' songs night in and night out for 30 years...

since they did not intro a new CD/album or any new tunes, it might be a ' cash flow ' tour. Or testing the concert audience for a resurgence of interest in the old song catalogue

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Only The Young is a kick ass song, and a lot of fun to play, and an audience favorite for us. I play the arpeggiated guitar part on my MOX, and the low pad on my M50.

I've been fortunate to hear them play it last year and this year.

Moonglow's review is spot on. I do know that Jonathan changed to the V-piano for a couple reasons. He's parked his beautiful Fazioli in his studio and has said the logistics of moving the beast just got to be too much.

Further, depending on the night, they tune down a 1/2 step. Arnel's the youngest member at over 40. Jonathan is 62.

They seem to change up the setlist a bit every couple nights bringing in different early classics. Last year they did Too Late, which was cool. Deen sings Still They Ride now and then when they bring it out, and I like it better than Perry's voice on it.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

My wife and I saw them about three years ago... We left after a few songs... Vanilla Fudge opened for them, and they were the antithesis of the low energy act that followed...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I saw the Jonathan Cain Band around 1975 at the Handlebar Saloon in Santa Ana, CA. He was doing all the lead vocals performing mostly cover songs of the time. He had a Wurlitzer EP with an ARP Odyssey strapped around his neck. I especially remember him singing "Rhiannon".
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

"far too many backing tracks"...I guess this is more and more common but my enjoyment pretty much checks out if I hear this. It's beyond lame for a performance-oriented rock group. At some point just put cardboard standees up of the band in their prime and play the cd since apparently people want to hear such a polished sound....

Archived