Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Just In......PX-5S

unclebyron

In fact, I think I hear "could care less" way more often than "couldn't care less," to the point that I actually started to think that maybe I was the one who had it wrong and people say "could care less" as an overly-sarcastic way of expressing how little they actually care

That's exactly right. When I was young, the phrase I heard was "I couldn't care less." As I got older, I started hearing ""I could care less" more often, often clearly with sarcasm (or you could interpret it sometimes as a kind of shorthand for "as if I could care less"), but the sarcastic tone has fallen away some. Sarcasm may be a dying art!

Intelligence is another dying art. Sarcasm takes a level of intelligence to understand. More and more people are prone to incomprehension from a shallow glance at the world. Ask for their take on something and you get cliches on the topic. With the "I could care less" it is all in the delivery. It is repeated (incorrectly) because people don't care what it means. How it sounds is the reason it is used so often.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could we go back and talk about PX-5S now...?

Well, I wanted to ask Mike if it's too late to have the design changed to leopardskin (it's the new black), with the beer mat on the opposite side, as I find it difficult to pick up the glass from the right while playing a lead.

Also, can you sink the oscillators?

No, I mean are they fully immersible for when you're playing on the street in a Seattle downpour?

What?

;)

Shameless bump, but this was pretty fun. My iPod decided to play this song yesterday so I had to give it a try on the PX-5S.

Pink Floyd's On the Run. One Arpeggiator is in use for the main note pattern and simultaneously doing the hi-hat on the same zone, nothing else is sequenced. This is two zones on the PX-5S with different elements on different keys. All sounds are raw waveforms with pink noise used for the high hats and mixed in with the "helicopter".

Not bad for a "piano". ;)

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Shameless bump, but this was pretty fun. My iPod decided to play this song yesterday so I had to give it a try on the PX-5S.

Pink Floyd's On the Run. One Arpeggiator is in use for the main note pattern and simultaneously doing the hi-hat on the same zone, nothing else is sequenced. This is two zones on the PX-5S with different elements on different keys. All sounds are raw waveforms with pink noise used for the high hats and mixed in with the "helicopter".

That was great.

Can you perform the intro to Shine on you Crazy Diamond next?

Sounds nice Mike!

I got to thinking - with all this power under the hood I guess there are quite a few parameters available. So I wonder if there will be a computer editor for the PX-5s?

edit: I see this was already answered... seems there will be an editor! :)

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

This is great.

If I understand correctly, this can be performed in real time, with the sequencer playing the main riff,and the performer playing the rest of the parts?

People love to see keyboard players do this.

If Casio made this "patch" available, it will be a "killer app". People will buy the board just to do this.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

.......Dayum!

Now can it do the clocks that come up next too? :D

But seriously, great programming and playing, Mike! That's a deep, amazing machine.

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

This is great.

If I understand correctly, this can be performed in real time, with the sequencer playing the main riff,and the performer playing the rest of the parts?

People love to see keyboard players do this.

If Casio made this "patch" available, it will be a "killer app". People will buy the board just to do this.

To clarify the "sequence" is the arpeggiator, which you can set to "Hold" to you don't have to keep holding that note down. This leaves your hands free to move the sliders and play the other parts.

This Stage Setting will be made available for download.

Thanks for all the kind words everybody.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Mike -

Can you tell me if the USB player requires files to be renamed or will it be able to play files as already named to be played of the USB drive?

thanks

I believe it is like the PX-350, files are labeled Take01.wav, Take02.wav. I'll confirm if it will playback files of another name. Good idea for a firmware update. ;)

-Mike Martin

Casio

I don't know how I'm going to take it for another month. I placed my pre-order a week ago. It's showing an estimated shipping date of March 18th, is this just wishful thinking or a real possibility?

Wishful thinking. We won't ship to stores until early April.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Allright Mike you've got our attention. Now is there an encore performance coming?

Not exactly. My primary goal this week and over the coming weeks is to get as much video shot as possible. A tour of the front panel, show you how it works, the navigation, the editing...etc.

-Mike Martin

Casio

I'm happy to find out from my local GC that they plan to stock these. I'm hoping to buy a PX-5S and MOX8, and return the one I don't prefer, if they'll go for that.

The PX-5S is smaller, lighter, and less expensive, so it's the one the MOX would have to beat. Mostly it'll be up to which piano I prefer; I think either one covers my other needs well enough.

I'm happy to find out from my local GC that they plan to stock these. I'm hoping to buy a PX-5S and MOX8, and return the one I don't prefer, if they'll go for that.

The PX-5S is smaller, lighter, and less expensive, so it's the one the MOX would have to beat. Mostly it'll be up to which piano I prefer; I think either one covers my other needs well enough.

Whichever you end up with, what second keyboard would you likely pair it with?

What I'm thinking is, even if you like the MOX piano better than the PX5S, you might have access to another piano you like in your second board, that you could drive from the Casio. There's also the ergonomic variable, in that the MOX8 puts your second board farther away from your first, compared to using the Casio.

(Though if this board is for a one-board scenario, of course, none of that matters.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I've been lurking around here for a while and because of this thread I pre-ordered a PX-5S yesterday. Someone offered to buy my old Yamaha P-150 that I've had since the mid-90's, so I started looking for a replacement.

Needless to say, I'm really excited to get this new Casio and it might actually get me out to play some keyboard gigs again.

Needless to say, I'm really excited to get this new Casio and it might actually get me out to play some keyboard gigs again.

:thu:

Me too.

I don't know if anyone here from the forum will be at SXSW next week but we'll have the PX-5S at the SXSW Music Gear Expo next Thursday - Saturday at the Austin Convention Center.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike: Please post some more soundcloud organ recordings. Let us hear more of the effects against a B3 sound. Leslie sim, overdrive, etc. Your recordings and Youtube video have been a big driving force behind the appeal of this new board.

Is the "PX-5S E.Piano More Bell" sound eventually going to make it's way into the Privia models with built in speakers?

Played the PX 350 and it has a really great action, really excellent compared to the competition. The only complaint was about how the Piano 1 sustain dropped quickly after the initial hammer attack resulting in somewhat plinky sounding lines when soloing.

IMO, if Casio adds the new PX5-S EP sounds to the Privias and simply give the piano tones a little more sustain, then Casio will dominate the market. The Privias will take a huge portion of Yamaha and Rolands digital piano market share because the action and the EPs will be so superior.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Archived