Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland V-Combo VR-09

The factory VR09 paddle simply wore out after three years of fairly steady bar gigs and weekly rehearsal. The horseshoe spring wore a groove in the soft plastic in the assembly causing a slight floppyness around center. An epic solo was woefully out of tune at a recent gig so I had to open her up to try and fix before the next gigs. Roland was painfully slow processing my order and I had to play two more gigs with the crippled board. All is good, now.

I do play with much exuberance...too excited to sit most of the time, and am admittedly a little rough on the gig rig. Probably why these Roland paddles just don't hold up for me. Still like 'em for the speed and accuracy that I cannot seem to nail down with wheels.

Since replacing it, I don't recall having to do the "flick" to calibrate it anymore and am very pleased with the response and performance.

I'll also pipe in on the do-it-all functionality of the thing. Recently took a weekend trip and brought only this board to several jams along the way. Had a blast playing some honky-tonk piano, funky EP, grinding some organ, blatting my horn patch, and pealing faces with the synth. The thing just sounds great in a band setting.

Interesting - mine hasn't seen heavy use, but it might if I start using the VR09 as an organ a little more. The only time I normally use it is the last note of "Just What I Needed"...I'm not a real synthy guy.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

A few questions about the looper:

1. Will the looper record audio being played from a usb stick?

2. Can I use the looper to record drums or am I stuck with the drum patterns provided?

3. Is the looper's timing tight, i.e. does it loop without any discernible gap, especially regarding scenario 1. where it's looping recorded audio?

Thanks,

Peter

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

I've only dinked around with the looper a couple of times and it's been a long while ago. It is very basic; 30 seconds I think and No undo.

I don't recall if the audio input gets recorded...if I had to guess I'd say not. It records to the thumb drive but if not mistaken, the looper likely does not record from the USB.

Playing the drums sounds from the keys are captured with the looper.

You've got to hit the loop rec button just right or you will hear a hiccup as it comes around.

Kind of novelty for me, but useful for quickly capturing snippets of ideas. The recorder does have a SONG mode that will record indefinitely (or at least until the USB runs out of space). Here's a modal example of song mode, self-contained with the VR09 the first week I had it:

SoundCloud Brenner VR09 Song mode test

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone happen to know if there is some way to make VR09 play a sound which then continues to play indefinitely...without me having to hold a key or a pedal? I wish to play the note and then bring it in and out with the expression pedal, but will not have any hands free to do anything else.
"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Does anyone happen to know if there is some way to make VR09 play a sound which then continues to play indefinitely...without me having to hold a key or a pedal? I wish to play the note and then bring it in and out with the expression pedal, but will not have any hands free to do anything else.

http://media2.hickorees.com/image/SweetOrrMatchbook_L3.jpg

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/1/1c/Dagger.jpg

Moe

---

I have used this many times with my B3......

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

I have used this many times with my B3......

Do you really have 16 keyboards? Curiosity gets me ...

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/1/1c/Dagger.jpg

LOL! Presumably you are not suggesting that I either take up smoking, or ignite or get violent with my VR, Moe......? :D The only other implication seems to be that you think I should jam something between two of the keys?

The thing is....... I have never done anything like that, nor seen it done. I possess no books of matches nor a letter opener. Is there anything else which would work well? And is there any danger it might misalign or damage the keys? Or fall out? - it will be left in for longish periods of time. I have a tendency to make machinery go wrong even without the direct application of sharp or inflammable objects to it, so I am just slightly worried about attempting this.......

Take a 1/4 inch "Y" cable with 1 male plug to 2 female jacks and plug the male end into the sustain pedal input on the VR-09. Plug your sustain pedal into one of the female jacks and plug a latching on/off pedal into the other female jack. To sustain a note simply play the note and then press "on" the latching pedal. This will act like a closed sustain pedal and will hold the note. Simply press the latching pedal "off" and the note will stop playing and you will be able to use your sustain pedal like normal.

That should do the trick!

Take a 1/4 inch "Y" cable with 1 male plug to 2 female jacks and plug the male end into the sustain pedal input on the VR-09. Plug your sustain pedal into one of the female jacks and plug a latching on/off pedal into the other female jack. To sustain a note simply play the note and then press "on" the latching pedal. This will act like a closed sustain pedal and will hold the note. Simply press the latching pedal "off" and the note will stop playing and you will be able to use your sustain pedal like normal.

That should do the trick!

Wow! Thanks very much Jags!! :2thu::) This sounds to me like an excellent approach. Will the damper pedal work normally in this setup? Also, can I just check if this is the correct pedal to get? - I don't know anything about latching pedals: Pedal Clonk

Wow! Thanks very much Jags!! :2thu::) This sounds to me like an excellent approach. Will the damper pedal work normally in this setup? Also, can I just check if this is the correct pedal to get? - I don't know anything about latching pedals: Pedal Clonk

Yes that foot switch should work. It's just a standard on/off footswitch that many guitar players use with their amps. Your guitarist might have an extra laying around somewhere.

Your damper pedal will work as normal as long as the latching switch is off (open).

It's all very simple as your damper pedal is just a momentary on/off (closed/open) switch. The latching switch is also just an on/off (closed/open) switch that latches. Using a "Y" cable wires them in parallel so they both will do the same thing. One does it momentarily and the other does it latched. You just have to remember to have the latching switch off if you want to use the damper pedal.

Another good pedal is the Boss FS-5L as that has an led light that shows you if the switch is on or off. That way you will always know what state it is in.

Good luck and have fun!!

Just looking for opinions...at the end of the day the thought of going through selling a board on CL or ebay might make this moot anyway...

I have a VR-700. I got a good deal on it, and I'm very happy with the key feel and the organ sound. It has nice drawbars as a bonus. I bought it mainly because I wanted to develop my organ technique since it has a waterfall keybed...but frankly I've only used it for gigs and there's so many other things I've been working on (bass, guitar etc).

Also, it's 76 notes and I really don't need it to be...so pretty long and fairly heavy. I don't use splits on it since I have two boards and it's limited anyway in that regard.

The main thing is that I don't like the piano sounds *at all*. Obviously synth and other sounds are not extensive, though the horns and strings work for the few songs I need those for.

Anyway, kicking around the idea of selling it and getting the VR09. My other board is a pc361 and it just died on me (looking to get it repaired); so something that can better cover everything I do would be nice.

I'll get in to a music store and give it a serious play, just wondering if anyone has played both boards and has a perspective.

The other possibility would be an electro 5 but that is way, way more $ (I would have sold both boards to get it, but after my mishap with the pc3 I'm sticking with two boards...)

I've not had the opportunity to play the VR700, but definitely drooled for one before. I'll give my 2 cents anyway...

IMHO, the VR09 ac pianos have a nice presence and cut well in a band setting, but I personally could not cope with the sterile sustain as those sample loops kicked in. I tried for a couple of years to dial in the right amount of reverb, chorus or phaser to mask the loops with only mild success. Layering up a pad or strings does the trick, but some tunes just don't sound right with a layer, so ultimately wound up with an entry level Kawai to give me the piano sound (and action) I needed.

The 09's key action pales in comparison to your 700 and the draw-faders are toy-like to what you have now. However as you already know, the other sounds are more vast and variable with the 09. I layered up a couple of VR09 ac horns for my live gig registrations. They sound quite good and it is fun to fade them in and out with the filter fader, but still prefer the horns in the Fantom when there's time and room for that third board for a gig.

I love having the draw-faders for working the organ in a live sitch, but am seriously contemplating selling both my VR09 and the Kawai to help fund an FA08. That board really has my attention for the well rounded coverage of sounds and high quality SN pianos, but I'm afraid I'd miss the drawbars too much.

I suppose if one really likes to hone in the perfect organ tone depending on mood and atmosphere like I do, the VR09 may get you close, but if one does not modify the organ much during a song, the FA06 might be an overall more capable gig machine. Hopefully you have the chance to play both before you buy. Good luck!

Thanks, pretty much jives with my current thoughts on pros and cons.

I should really get out there and listen to some of the newer boards like the FA06. When last I shopped, organ was really an afterthought on everything except the pc3, and even then I prefer the Roland organ in a rock setting (they are very different sounds, no idea which is more "authentic" but the V-combo sits very well in mixes).

Heck I could always go back to organ on the pc3 and get something that shines in other areas...you can really rationalize just about anything if you aren't willing to carry 3-4 boards around! Always a compromise somewhere....

Yes that foot switch should work. It's just a standard on/off footswitch that many guitar players use with their amps. Your guitarist might have an extra laying around somewhere.

Your damper pedal will work as normal as long as the latching switch is off (open).

It's all very simple as your damper pedal is just a momentary on/off (closed/open) switch. The latching switch is also just an on/off (closed/open) switch that latches. Using a "Y" cable wires them in parallel so they both will do the same thing. One does it momentarily and the other does it latched. You just have to remember to have the latching switch off if you want to use the damper pedal.

Another good pedal is the Boss FS-5L as that has an led light that shows you if the switch is on or off. That way you will always know what state it is in.

Good luck and have fun!!

Thanks Jags. Can I just check one other thing...

Should the cable be TRS - dual TR, or TR to dual TR?

Cheers. :)

The cable needs to be a regular TR cable like a guitar cord. Also make sure the "Y" cable is also a TR splitter cable and NOT an "insert" cable that will have a TRS male connector.

Again this is all very simple basic electronics as all you are dealing with is a simple on off switch. You should have someone teach you some basics on how things work because as a musician you should have the basic concept and knowledge of how all your gear functions. Makes us all better at what we do!!

Thanks!

The cable needs to be a regular TR cable like a guitar cord. Also make sure the "Y" cable is also a TR splitter cable and NOT an "insert" cable that will have a TRS male connector.

Again this is all very simple basic electronics as all you are dealing with is a simple on off switch. You should have someone teach you some basics on how things work because as a musician you should have the basic concept and knowledge of how all your gear functions. Makes us all better at what we do!!

Thanks!

Thanks Jags. Regrettably, I am an extraordinarily slow learner - but I do try, and aim to pick up the odd crumb of knowledge on forums like this. You will probably be shocked to hear that I was actually feeling quite pleased with myself for knowing the difference between a TS and a TRS cable..... :facepalm: ......Think it may be a while before I am ready to tackle switches...

... and aim to pick up the odd crumb of knowledge on forums like this ...

I have an odd crumb that you won't like. :(

Using the Y cable and two pedals will put the pedals in parallel, electrically speaking. This approach will work only if both pedals are of the N.O. (normally open) type. Most Roland pedals are the N.C. (normally closed) type and will not play nicely when wired in parallel through a Y cable. (I'm pretty sure the VR-09 needs a N.C. pedal and can't be programmed to work with a N.O. pedal.) N.C. pedals would work if wired in series, but that would take a custom cable. I could describe how to wire this, but it's probably more than you bargained for.

Sorry this answer is so crummy ...

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

... and aim to pick up the odd crumb of knowledge on forums like this ...

I have an odd crumb that you won't like. :(

Using the Y cable and two pedals will put the pedals in parallel, electrically speaking. This approach will work only if both pedals are of the N.O. (normally open) type. Most Roland pedals are the N.C. (normally closed) type and will not play nicely when wired in parallel through a Y cable. (I'm pretty sure the VR-09 needs a N.C. pedal and can't be programmed to work with a N.O. pedal.) N.C. pedals would work if wired in series, but that would take a custom cable. I could describe how to wire this, but it's probably more than you bargained for.

Sorry this answer is so crummy ...

Yes MurMan is right. This came to mind also as I wasn't sure if the VR-09 used a normally closed or open damper. A lot of keyboards can auto detect the type of damper pedal connected on power up, but I'm not sure if the VR-09 also does this. Unfortunately my VR-09 is at my keyboard players house where we rehearse. I'm the drummer but I'm letting him use my VR-09. Thus I couldn't check it out to see what type it uses. Also just went through the manual and it doesn't specify it there either.

As MurMan said if you custom wired a Y cable in series it would work with a normally closed damper. Not really that hard to make and I could draw you a diagram if you are interested in trying to make one. You could also just unplug the damper pedal and just leave the latch switch connected for that one song but it might just be easier to bring a heavy brick along and simply set it on the damper pedal!!

Let me know what you want to try. Good luck!!

Thank you so much Murray and Jags. A lot more than a few crumbs there.... Indeed you are both being quite aBUNdant with your info.... It's just a pitta that most of it is going straight over my head....

Maybe the best thing is for me to try using my new latch pedal in place of the damper as you have suggested, Jags - didn't realise that was an option. :) I almost never use a damper pedal with the VR....if I am playing piano I always use my PX5S. If I get on well with it then I could perhaps look into finding a clever person to make me the custom cable at some point in the future.

In the meantime, I think I have amassed enough crumbs of new knowledge now to drink a toast to you both. :D

Maybe the best thing is for me to try using my new latch pedal in place of the damper as you have suggested, Jags - didn't realise that was an option. :) I almost never use a damper pedal with the VR....if I am playing piano I always use my PX5S. :D

Yes if you don't use your damper pedal with the VR-09 you can just use the latching switch instead to make a note hold on. Now go out and have a beer to help swallow all those crumbs of info!!

Whilst this thread is resurrected, does anyone have a good brass patch for the VR? I know there are lots of brass sounds, but I have not yet managed to get a really good, brass section type sound to use for soul songs etc. Somehow the effects, or overall sound is always wrong. I have fiddled around with it at length but am still unsatisfied.

Instead, I always use my brass patch on my PX5s - which is great, but sometimes it would be easier if I could do it on the VR. If you have a good sound and don't mind, please would you tell me which sound(s) you are using, and with what effects. Thank you. :)

Just tried out out the pedal. It works perfectly - I am so pleased. :)

Thanks again!

:cheers:

Are you using the latching pedal just by itself or did you try to see if it would work with your damper pedal connected to a "Y" cable. Just curious.

Thanks!