Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland V-Combo VR-09

Whilst this thread is resurrected, does anyone have a good brass patch for the VR? I know there are lots of brass sounds, but I have not yet managed to get a really good, brass section type sound to use for soul songs etc. Somehow the effects, or overall sound is always wrong. I have fiddled around with it at length but am still unsatisfied.

Instead, I always use my brass patch on my PX5s - which is great, but sometimes it would be easier if I could do it on the VR. If you have a good sound and don't mind, please would you tell me which sound(s) you are using, and with what effects. Thank you. :)

I am quite happy with my ac brass sound (layered the two ac presets) but it doesn't have the low punch of the patch I made with the Fantom that I affectionately call Saxy Brass, but my VR09 patch dubbed BigBrass1's does fine for our renditions of Dragging The Line, and the few KC Sunshine and Sam & Dave tunes.

The board is packed up for the gig tomorrow...perhaps I'll have some energy left on Sunday afternoon to get it into the house so to share my settings.

Just tried out out the pedal. It works perfectly - I am so pleased. :)

Thanks again!

:cheers:

Are you using the latching pedal just by itself or did you try to see if it would work with your damper pedal connected to a "Y" cable. Just curious.

Thanks!

Just the latching pedal. I really don't need to use a damper with the VR at present.

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

If you search on YouTube for VR-09 Brass Patch you'll find a video by Roland's Ed Diaz that demos how to create a good one on the VR.

Hope that helps...

Thanks wd8dky. I am hoping to get time to try this tomorrow. :)

Whilst this thread is resurrected, does anyone have a good brass patch for the VR? I know there are lots of brass sounds, but I have not yet managed to get a really good, brass section type sound to use for soul songs etc. Somehow the effects, or overall sound is always wrong. I have fiddled around with it at length but am still unsatisfied.

Instead, I always use my brass patch on my PX5s - which is great, but sometimes it would be easier if I could do it on the VR. If you have a good sound and don't mind, please would you tell me which sound(s) you are using, and with what effects. Thank you. :)

I am quite happy with my ac brass sound (layered the two ac presets) but it doesn't have the low punch of the patch I made with the Fantom that I affectionately call Saxy Brass, but my VR09 patch dubbed BigBrass1's does fine for our renditions of Dragging The Line, and the few KC Sunshine and Sam & Dave tunes.

The board is packed up for the gig tomorrow...perhaps I'll have some energy left on Sunday afternoon to get it into the house so to share my settings.

That would be wonderful if you can Brenner, but no worries if you are too busy. :)

If you search on YouTube for VR-09 Brass Patch you'll find a video by Roland's Ed Diaz that demos how to create a good one on the VR.

Hope that helps...

Unfortunately I cannot find this video. I found one of Ed editing a brass patch on a Fa08 but not on the VR09. I would appreciate a link if you happen to have one.... Thanks. :)

We have back to back shows next weekend, so the rig stayed packed up this week. However if memory serves, I layered up two presets under the Brass button: FS Brass and StackTP Sect. IIRC, it is kind of finicky how you have to get a layer going by pressing and holding the BRASS preset button then press another preset button, then cursor down to the second sound and press the BRASS button again. You should be able to then dial to the desired preset when you are highlighted on the lower tone.

I don't think I had to fiddle with too much except maybe the Reverb. I like how the Filter Fader allows some control to simulate sforzando.

We have back to back shows next weekend, so the rig stayed packed up this week. However if memory serves, I layered up two presets under the Brass button: FS Brass and StackTP Sect. IIRC, it is kind of finicky how you have to get a layer going by pressing and holding the BRASS preset button then press another preset button, then cursor down to the second sound and press the BRASS button again. You should be able to then dial to the desired preset when you are highlighted on the lower tone.

I don't think I had to fiddle with too much except maybe the Reverb. I like how the Filter Fader allows some control to simulate sforzando.

I found FS Brass and StackTP to be the most useable layering too; I sometimes dropped one an octave for a really big sound. If I'm only using one layer I tend to go for FS Brass but haven't put a lot of thought into it. Lucky enough to play with a section anyway so it's mostly just for thickening the sound out.

I'm thinking I use those two together also, on "Power Of Love". Suspect I may use a hint of chorus or detuning but memory is fuzzy. Probably a hint of reverb as well. I definitely have some slapback on them for that big rock horn shot/horn section sound.

Brenner13 reminds me that it is tricky to layer two of the same sounds. That's my only UI beef with this keyboard. If I were programming it more often, it would not be an issue.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Hope that helps...

Unfortunately I cannot find this video. I found one of Ed editing a brass patch on a Fa08 but not on the VR09. I would appreciate a link if you happen to have one.... Thanks. :)

I'm very sorry about that! I was going from memory and must've had a senior moment. You're absolutely right, the video I was thinking of was on the FA.

Hope that helps...

I'm very sorry about that! I was going from memory and must've had a senior moment. You're absolutely right, the video I was thinking of was on the FA.

No worries! I did actually enjoy the FA08 brass video very much. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I am having problems with the volume slider for the organ. Sometimes it has no effect .... Sometimes I push it all the way up and the volume doesn't change...does anyone else have this problem? Is there anything I can do about it?

I just bought a new VR-09. Can you tell me where to check what version I have? Can't find it anywhere.

Doc

Sorry Dr Music - I had a quick look through the menus at my gig last night but couldn't find it - which is strange because I am certain I have seen it somewhere..... :idk

I just bought a new VR-09. Can you tell me where to check what version I have? Can't find it anywhere.

Doc

Hold and continue to hold the "Exit" button then turn it on.

Don't release the exit button. In a moment the version will appear on the screen.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I don't even know if I should chime in but what the heck...I bought mine to use at church, decent piano, string and organ sounds...Liked the IBEAM to turn rotary on and off...Toyish feel on the keys and could not put feelings into worship with it...

Ive kept it as a second board after I purchased my C4 but honestly I hardly ever use it

LOVE the 5 pounds! :)

roco

Roland VR09

Yamaha CP4

• 5 weeks later...

Seems like it's been FOREVER since I've visited this forum, but I had to share something I discovered by accident on my VR-09.

During rehearsal for Roll with the Changes (REO), while using a split patch (upper=organ, lower=piano), I wanted to give the organ more guts, so I started sliding the drawbars - but they didn't affect the sound. I noticed that the UPPER/LOWER switch below the drawbars was not illuminated, meaning that the drawbars would affect the LOWER rather than UPPER sound. That explained why I didn't hear a difference in the organ (assigned to UPPER). But then when I played the piano side of the split (the LOWER), I heard organ!

So what I get is the organ across the entire keyboard, with the drawbars affecting either the LOWER or UPPER side of the split (governed by the UPPER/LOWER switch), but the lower sound (piano) only on the left side of the split.

I don't know if this is a feature (maybe I've got Atelier mode set just right or something) or a bug or what - but it was surprising and could actually come in quite useful.

• 2 weeks later...
Was just reading through the pdf owners manual for the '09, and it says on page 10, that if you "place the vr-09 on a stand, you must use the (Roland) KS-18Z or (if you're using the optional PK-9 pedal board) the KS-12". Why would they say that, other than to sell their own stands? Has anyone had any safety/whatever issues, by not using one of those stands? I'm honestly asking, because I've never heard of a keyboard manufacturer say you "must" use their stand(s). They might suggest that you use theirs, then say any similar quality stand will work. That what I just read, struck me as quite odd.

Hey TJ01WA

I like the music stand holder you built to go into the two holes on the VR09 - how did you build that? I haven't been able to find anything that fits in those holes, would love to build something similar.

cheers,

roy

PS - nice looking setup! with that black shelf, at first glance it looks like a full lenght keyboard underneath - how did you prop up the VR09 above it?

Thanks. The Music rest is one I made. It consists of two pieces of threaded rod stuck into the holes (they are 6mm diameter and you have to file the ends down to 5.5mm to fit the holes) I bent them in a vice together to get the right rest angle. The bottom piece of aluminium is a T shape to provide a rest for the sheets, the top two pieces are just L shape aluminium. Cut to the length of the keyboard it holds 5 A4 sheets. The shelf consists of two 16mm MDF board separated by two supports with two stop boards at the back. The dimensions allow the keyboards to sit with 1mm vertical between each other. The top board is staggered so that the A-49 can not disappear under the VR-09. It's all screwed together and screwed to the stand top.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Was just reading through the pdf owners manual for the '09, and it says on page 10, that if you "place the vr-09 on a stand, you must use the (Roland) KS-18Z or (if you're using the optional PK-9 pedal board) the KS-12". Why would they say that, other than to sell their own stands? That what I just read, struck me as quite odd.

I think you just answered your own question.... ;)

Thanks TJ01WA!

I must say, that is very nice looking and professional looking - I am now inspired to do something similar. Although I doubt mine will look half as nice...

The dimensions of the shelf are:

1 x 410 x 965 x 16mm (Base)

1 x 250 x 965 x 16mm (Shelf)

2 x 240 x 50 x 16mm (Sides)

Nice carpentry TJ. How much does that dual-shelf weigh?

Would look even better with the A61 of course, but either way the nice thing about this all-Roland rig is both boards have matching crappy actions! (Joke)

Someone posted a pic of a RD64+VR09 a little while back - that looks like a nice restricted-space rig. I'm working on my own "cramped venue" rig (61 below a Nord 73) and will post in a more appropriate thread later...

Cheers, Mike.

Was just reading through the pdf owners manual for the '09, and it says on page 10, that if you "place the vr-09 on a stand, you must use the (Roland) KS-18Z or (if you're using the optional PK-9 pedal board) the KS-12". Why would they say that, other than to sell their own stands? Has anyone had any safety/whatever issues, by not using one of those stands? I'm honestly asking, because I've never heard of a keyboard manufacturer say you "must" use their stand(s). They might suggest that you use theirs, then say any similar quality stand will work. That what I just read, struck me as quite odd.

Partly to sell stands, partly to cover their ass in case of accidents I suspect.

You put it on a cheap stand; it collapses and the VR09 breaks because it's made of plastic; you complain to them and they point out they did warn you not to use other products apart from the ones they can specifically confirm are rated to their standards (ie. theirs). The same goes for power supplies - if you use a third party supply and it damages your gear then it's only your fault.