Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Mojo Review - Gig Tested

It doesn't seem hard to switch into edit mode and tap your way into the different models, or he can hook up a display and mouse and do it. Besides, that should be part of the experience in the review.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 1 month later...

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I resurrected this thread since my post fits the thread title.

I wanted to report that in the last month, I have used the Mojo at numerous outdoor events where temperatures were extremely high and the Mojo performed flawlessly. No overheats nor crashes. A couple of these were long gigs where the Mojo sat on a hot stage the whole time. No issues or hiccups. I know that some people have had issues with using computers on live gigs where it is hot. So far, the Mojo has passed the test.

Mitch

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Rehearsing for my first gig with Mojo, I have been concerned about being able to see the knob positions on stage.

So tonight, I took some enamel paint and a fine brush and filled the indicator grooves with white. It was fast drying enough that I was able to immediately go back and clean up by scraping the slop outside the groove with my fingernail.

Now they are much more visible, and it looks professionally done.

Moe

---

Rehearsing for my first gig with Mojo, I have been concerned about being able to see the knob positions on stage.

So tonight, I took some enamel paint and a fine brush and filled the indicator grooves with white. It was fast drying enough that I was able to immediately go back and clean up by scraping the slop outside the groove with my fingernail.

Now they are much more visible, and it looks professionally done.

Visibility of the control knobs concerns me to, so I am going to do the same thing...!

One other word of caution/suggestion.. on my first gig with the Mojo, I did something really stupid... before the gig, I used the shift and percussion buttons to demonstrate the V/F combo organs to my bandmates.. but I forgot to hit the shift again to get out of edit mode and I started playing with drawbars and buttons to demo the combo organ sounds, and when I went back to tonewheel organ I realized that I had accidentally changed a bunch of my basic tonewheel parameters.

Since the alternate/shift parameters are not indicated on the Mojo, I wasn't sure which knobs and buttons controlled which parameters, so I didn't know how to get it back to the way I had configured it! Luckily I was able to go on-line with my iphone and download the manual and in about 5 minutes everything was resolved.

So, just in case you have a similar problem, you might want to keep a copy of the alternate shift functions handy in your gig bag! That's what I'll be doing from now on.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

or keep a copy of the manual on your iPhone in iBooks.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I read some people had a little trouble updating the Mojo. I did my first update to 2.1 but the firmware didn't work the first time. I used a usb to midi cables but might of put the midi In cable to the midi In port on Mojo. I smelled wire and pulled the cable. Tried again with Midi out cable to Midi In port and it updated. The Mojo seems ok but can smell wire under the top keys near the ports. Anyone else have this happen?

Midi voltage is pretty low, so it's highly unlikly that anything burned up... ;-) you're probably just stressed out about your new "baby" and anxiety has overtaken you... relax have a drink (or whatever your pleasure) and go play your Mojo..

Joe, got a copy of the manuals on my iphone in ibooks!! thanks again for the suggestion!

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Andrea mine came with 2.1 so thankfully I didn't have to go through the update process. Updates are always tedious and stressfull. If something goes wrong, you may not be the only vegetable in the room... (speaking for myself of course)..

;-)

Craig

Craig MacDonald

I've yet to hook it up to a monitor to adjust the parameters but does anyone know how to adjust/edit the leslie sim thru the shift button? Somehow the rotor doesn't want to give a spin effect. I probably hit that button in edit mode without realizing it.

Also, thumbs up to the idea of putting some white paint on the knobs indent.

Andrea mine came with 2.1 so thankfully I didn't have to go through the update process. Updates are always tedious and stressfull. If something goes wrong, you may not be the only vegetable in the room... (speaking for myself of course)..

;-)

Craig

Speaking of firmware updates not just an organ upgrade that is really quite simple in Windows: For flashing sysex, it is not like a BIOS in a computer (except the BIOS in the actual Windows Embedded computer board no one I have heard updated) that if it fails is toast and you have to get a flashed chip.(computer)

If it is like the Hamichord it can fail (its temporarily bricked) and will still give you unlimited chances to reprogram the firmware. I bricked and toasted my Hamichord twice (quite disconcerting to say the least) using a poor midi device but when I used a better device it wrote to firmware and was fine to my relief.

I should add: the original Hamichord advertising saying "no need to update the keyboard but the software!!" even though there have been some slight improvements on the MkII **has proven to be true**. I have no desire with the latest software to buy another. My HC is hot. B3 interface is classic.

I should also point out Crumar has supported my Hamichord for ***4 years***<----- and provided the latest VB3-2 EVEN THOUGH technically it is cited for the MkII but works and they know it works on the MkI. That may not be true for future revisions due to CPU bandwidth. It was so long ago that when I bought my Hamichord it was only availablie with the Native Instruments B4II (that is still in it) - the VB3(1)HE etc etc came later.

W. (original VB3-2 proclaimer writing first here about it on my 4 year old Hamichord first Crumar organ (new Crumar) in the US)

I've yet to hook it up to a monitor to adjust the parameters but does anyone know how to adjust/edit the leslie sim thru the shift button? Somehow the rotor doesn't want to give a spin effect. I probably hit that button in edit mode without realizing it.

Also, thumbs up to the idea of putting some white paint on the knobs indent.

As I recall, most or all of the Leslie params are not mapped to knobs by default, except for balance. You might have got that screwed up and only be listening to the horn.

Moe

---

My Mojo had an auspicious debut on stage Friday evening, at a high profile gig for a hot local band's CD release party. I had used it recording tracks on their latest release, and wanted to get in on the action. Great crowd, stage, lighting, tight band, etc.

The organ sounded fabulous in the room and was well heard out front. The band included bass, drums, 3 guys switching off on guitar, steel, banjo, or mandolin, a violin player, 2 female backup singers, and at one point a 4 piece New Orleans brass section.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/mojo/bluenoterig.jpg

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/mojo/bluenoterig2.jpg

Moe

---

Aces! What's with the QSC positioning? Are those both your keyboard monitors?

Yes, long story short - fitting 14 musicians on that stage was doable but a bit tight. I stacked the back QSC on a case behind the front one, to give myself room to step into my rig. There was a big pedestal with a moving light fixture right in the middle that was in the way.

I had no mix from the rest of the stage piped in, but it didn't matter. I had a good enough mix and ended up not playing super loud. I could hear the organ in the room thru the mains from the back of the stage in some of the more dynamic parts.

That and all the compliments I got on how it sounded disproved any doubts about it having stage presence. It really is an amazing little beast!

Moe

---

Here's a video of Tony Monaco playing it, dedicating it to Guido. :)

[video:youtube]

Great video to pass the time while mine is "on truck, out for delivery"! :thu:

(What, me, excited? Yeah, maybe a bit.)

Schweet! :thu:

One of the more well recorded examples of the Mojo.

Tony used no chorus vibrato and no real drawbar changes through most of this tune.... typical of Tony,who uses a similar sound on the funk tunes of his "Master Chops T." C.D.

He uses the chorus at about the last minute after using the leslie sim. I would have liked to hear more of it, but he wasn't playing this to demo the Mojo, he was playing it to play what he wanted.

The organ on this sounds suspiciously close to his own recording organ though. Is there any more from this performance somewhere?

Actually, he is using chorus vibrato on the lower manual throughout the song... And it sounds fantastic!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Is there any more from this performance somewhere?

Do you know how to use YouTube? ;) There are several videos from the same concert posted by the same account. Find them under their account name or at the bottom of the youtube page the video is on.

I went to Youtube to see the other video. It has some more extensive chorus vibrato examples in the ballad Tony is playing.

The chorus sounds very good but some of the percussion overtones seem pretty hot in the upper register. I would bet that this has a lot to do with the speakers that are being used.

I have posted extensively about my challenges with percussion shrillness from digital clones, which have been remedied mostly by speaker selection and some EQing. That is of the reasons I am cautious to buy any clone without being able to hear it first. Or anything else for that matter.

I would also be curious if the leslie sim on this is being run in mono, which would be my guess.

Tony posted this on FB along with the clip I linked previously.

This was a real cool experience and gig for me. I played a show outside in a beautiful palace put on by Max Tempia and Biella Jazz Club. I was playing with Ivano Maggi on drums on the new Mojo with Guido Scognamiglio and Andrea Agnoletto giving me incredible tour support unbelievable great team and friendship! Also my friend Andy Baldassari, and gracefully hosted and had dinner at Max Tempia house with his lovely Paola who both cooked an incredible Lunch. This clip in just myself on the Mojo and Ivano Maggi on the drums! MOJO was output D/I through its internal digital rotory. Monitored by stereo monitors! It sounded and felt Incredible! Thanks Everyone!

(Judging by the clip titles, there are nine in total.)