Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Mojo Review - Gig Tested

Moe, are you gonna try to measure your Hammonds? I'm pretty curious because if it's easy, I want to try it with my 61 A102. Well, I do need to get a digital oscilloscope beforehand though.

I'm gonna update the firmware and the software now. I will see how it goes. I will try it on a gig tomorrow, so I can compare with the older version.

Until then, I shot a couple of videos the other day. This time, camera was close, so it sounds a little bit different. Unfortunately, I couldn't put the camera farther, so the shot isn't that great, but some people get some ideas how the Mojo sounds. :)

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZUnxGm00KQ

58 Hammond B3, 74 Leslie 122, 64 Hammond, A100, 61 Leslie 45, Hammond XK-5 system, Hammond SX Pro, SKX Pro, MAG P-2, etc... owned many others...

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The addendum that cones with the new software had basic instructions on how to measure the tone wheels of an organ. It also shows how the tone wheels are laid out numerically in the organ. It sounds like something that someone with some experience with electronics could easily do but might be over the heads of neophytes like me.

Guido's screenshot is of the Mojo with a monitor, not of any standalone update.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Nice playing - great sound - very tasty! :thu:

Thank you Daviel! :)

Okay, I updated my Mojo, and it does sound greater than before. There are some improvements. There was one thing I emailed to Guido, we emailed back and forth, and he did listen to me and tested a lot. I can say he really improved the Mojo again. For the mono amp users, the Mojo does great with a mono amp. I just had time to check with my headphones, and I could hear the improvements. He keeps improving the product! I'll test how it sounds tomorrow on a gig.

I'm really curious about measuring my Hammond, but I need to learn how to do it. It's great that you can measure your Hammond and set the organ like the way your Hammond sounds.

58 Hammond B3, 74 Leslie 122, 64 Hammond, A100, 61 Leslie 45, Hammond XK-5 system, Hammond SX Pro, SKX Pro, MAG P-2, etc... owned many others...

Thanks. I still couldn't find the info posted above, though. Then again, facebook and I just don't get along. I think I'm too old, I don't get it.

Also, VB2 2.03 is out according to this page.

For the mojo/hamichord, right? They're still on 1.x for computer plug-in use?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Also, VB2 2.03 is out according to this page.

For the mojo/hamichord, right? They're still on 1.x for computer plug-in use?

Oh, yeah. I wasn't exactly descriptive with what's out for the new release (there's a firmware update as well) because I was on my iPad and lazy.

The info I posted above is on the Crumar site now anyway, so hopefully you've seen it.

b3halt - more nice playing, brother! :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The organ sounds nice on the b-3halt videos, doesn't it? It sounds good enough that it would fool me into thinking that I was hearing a real tonewheel beast on a recording.

Crumar should be paying you a commision, as I have said before. This video is going to sell a lot of organs for them.

The player also seems to be a nice person who enjoys playing with his group. He doesn't seem to be the type of guy who is going to try to tell me how big he thinks certain parts of my body are because I said something he didn't like about the brand of instrument he plays. And that's going to help Crumar too. They don't seem to be saying things like they "own the sound". They don't need to because the sound is there, obviously.

What is the amplification source for this? The percussion sounds nice by the way, as does the chorus vibrato. Whatever C/V vintage it is, it's the right type.

I've just come out of an all day recording session for a nashville type singer songwriter & band.

I put about 14 tracks down on 7 tunes with Nord and Mojo. The Mojo recorded extremely well - everything from balls out Jon Lord chords to sweet flutey whistles. :thu:

Moe

---

The organ sounds nice on the b-3halt videos, doesn't it? It sounds good enough that it would fool me into thinking that I was hearing a real tonewheel beast on a recording.

Crumar should be paying you a commision, as I have said before. This video is going to sell a lot of organs for them.

The player also seems to be a nice person who enjoys playing with his group. He doesn't seem to be the type of guy who is going to try to tell me how big he thinks certain parts of my body are because I said something he didn't like about the brand of instrument he plays. And that's going to help Crumar too. They don't seem to be saying things like they "own the sound". They don't need to because the sound is there, obviously.

What is the amplification source for this? The percussion sounds nice by the way, as does the chorus vibrato. Whatever C/V vintage it is, it's the right type.

First of all, thank you! :)

I wish I could get a commission, but they (Andrea and Guido) were nice to me when I decided to buy the Mojo, so I'm helping them. Guido updates almost every month, and he is very enthusiastic about improving the sound. I suggested a couple of things, and he did listen to me. I appreciated that kind of things. Andrea was nice when I called because when I was thinking about buying the Mojo, I wanted to talk to him, so I did. (Thanks for the Skype to make it cheap...)

I've been using the Leslie SPA-150RL by Hammond Suzuki. It's only sold in Japan at this moment because the value of the Japanese Yen is too high, so that means when it gets to the US or Europe, it becomes more expensive. I can say this amp is the best of all the amps I owned and tried. I used to use QSC K10, Barbetta Sona 32, a couple of the Motion Sound ones, Roland keyboard amps, and Peavy amps. QSC K series are great, but this SPA150 is better to my ears. Also, it's the same height as the organ benches, so I usually sit on it when I play. Some people say it's awkward, but I don't have to carry a bench, and I can still hear the sound from the amp clearly. In fact, I helped them to improve after it came out. Here is the link.

http://www.suzuki-music.co.jp/search/N_002308.html

Nice playing!!! Enjoyed the videos. Very nice of you to have these available.

W.

Thank you! I'd be happy to share. :)

Okay, I updated my Mojo. Guido tweaked some EQ for using mono, and I can say it does sound better. I think the sound is smoother than before. By the way, this new EQ setting is also available for stereo.

I tested it on a gig. One thing I didn't like was the parameters I tweaked. I changed the mic distance closer than what I always used, so when the Leslie sim was on fast, I didn't like it that much. This is my fault, so I changed it back to the way it was, so it's fine now.

Here is the example. On that gig, I was playing with a drummer and a guitar player. The mic placement wasn't that great because it was placed horizontally to the amp. It was so close the drums, so the balance isn't good. However, you get the idea. I love the C/V, the percussion, and the overdrive of it. I'm using the #12 1963 A100 US because the nuance is very close to my 61 102.

I think the abilty to EQ some of these organ clones is a big part of what can make them work well. It doesn't surprise me that Guido is still making adjustments.

I bet if you get 10 different guys on the same organ you are going to see 10 different ways to set the organ up.

It's almost scary to think of going back to something that is infinitely adjustable. On the Numa, you can't really tweak the leslie sim at all. If you could I would probably spend half of my playing time diddling with it. There are no mic distances, no speed differences etc. etc.

I don't miss them.

I'm still playing a Numa but also am watching with interest to how the Mojo pans out. I have never bought ANYTHING sight unseen or with a service scheme based half way around the globe.

Don't get me wrong... I am not dissing the Mojo. It already seems to be extremely popular and for good reason. But pulling the trigger at 3K on something sight unseen might be beyond my capabilities.

. I'm using the #12 1963 A100 US because the nuance is very close to my 61 102.

Yeah!! That is a nice one. There are a few I particularly like. I tuned the VB3-2 to a Don Patterson recorded Hammond or nuance of that Hammond. I was able to tune the software using a tonewheel set (however it was recorded) using high end headphones and tweaking scanner and other parameters extremely close to the recorded Hammond. Quite impressive ability to mimic, imo (VB3-2)

W.

Hal videos reminded me of that Gene Harris + Jack McDuff album...

Yeah, Gus! I like that album. Jack McDuff also recorded another piano player long time ago. I cannot remember the tittle though. On the documentary I saw, he said he used to play with Red Garland, and it was a trio.

I have never bought ANYTHING sight unseen or with a service scheme based half way around the globe.

I can totally understand this. I do this sometimes like when I bought the Ventilator, the Mojo, and even the Nord C1 and the C2. I try to find some demos on YouTube and some reviews, and I think about it and sleep on it. Then I decide whether I get it or not. I have almost never regretted.

That is a nice one. There are a few I particularly like. I tuned the VB3-2 to a Don Patterson recorded Hammond or nuance of that Hammond. I was able to tune the software using a tonewheel set (however it was recorded) using high end headphones and tweaking scanner and other parameters extremely close to the recorded Hammond. Quite impressive ability to mimic, imo (VB3-2) W.

Yeah, I really like the No. 12 1963 A-100 US on the Mojo. That's my favorite, and I've tried others, but this is the one I really like.

When I was using the Nord C2 with the Ventilator, it got really close the sound of some Don Patterson's recordings, believe it or not. I like the way of Jimmy McGriff's recordings and some Jimmy Smith's recordings (sound).

About the custom service of Crumar, they did take care of me. I needed to replace a couple of keys, and I requested them to send those keys. It took a while because the snow storm and the truck drivers' strike. Also, the company was the process of moving. I was a little bit surprised when I received the package, but this proves they do take care of the Mojo users. :thu:

Yeah, I really like the No. 12 1963 A-100 US on the Mojo. That's my favorite, and I've tried others, but this is the I really like.

When I was using the Nord C2 with the Ventilator, it got really close the sound of some Don Patterson's recordings, believe it or not. I like the way Jimmy McGriff's recordings and some Jimmy Smith's recordings.

Wow! that is interesting about the Nord C2. Makes the new drawbar version a bit more interesting from my point of view.

W

By the way, Don Patterson played so good! I have all his recordings. I still listen to his playing and learn something out of it.

Somehow the Nord C2 and the Ventilator together sounded like some of Don Patterson's recordings. I don't know why. I still like the sound of them together, but I prefer the Mojo.

Well, here is the example. The quality isn't that great, but you can kind of hear what I'm talking about.

[video:youtube]

I know this is the thread for the Mojo, but this could be a good comparison. Like I said, I do prefer the Mojo because the nuance of the sound is very close to my A-102. The C/V is dead on. The C/V of the Nord C2 isn't really that close. Also, the leakage of the Nord C2 is too high when you used the vintage 3 sound. The Mojo also nails it. Of course, the Leslie sim of the Mojo is so much better, so I don't even need the Ventilator. Both of them sound good, but I prefer the sound of the Mojo. Also, it does have drawbars. Well, if Nord changes the C/V of the C2D, it can be good, but I haven't heard that news. Anyway, I've got my Mojo working. ;)

There was so much that I liked about the C2 when I had it. However, I just couldn't get past the C/V. It was always just too warbly. Hearing it on a recording of a live gig where I was running the C2 through my 147 was somewhat eye opening. I decided to return the C2 and hold out for the as-yet-to-be-released Mojo. I really liked the VB3 1.4 C/V and figured that version 2 had to be at least as good as that. For me, the adjustable C/V is a feature that can't be undervalued.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Moe, Mitch, and Hal own the Mojo (and WheelHead has the Hamichord). Anyone else?

How are you guys getting on with it? Still love it? Any issues?

Hal - why did you have to replace keys?

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I think it should be understood that on most of the classic recordings of folks like McDuff, Shirley Scott, Jimmy Smith, Don Patterson, John Patton, if it was recorded by Rudy Van Gelder at his studio in Englewood Cliffs, it's the same organ. Listen to some 60s Jimmy Smith Blue Notes and then Patterson's Muse output. It's the same organ, yet it sounds completely different.

Why is that?

Because of a) the engineer (competing labels wanted to sound different from each other even though they were using the same engineer / studio) and b) the player.

Joe,

Yes. Still loving it. It is the most inspiring clone I have ever had. In fact, it is more inspiring than some actual organs I have played. Also, Guido keeps tweaking the software and actually listens to the people who play the instrument.

I needed some keys because those keys made noise when I released them. It wasn't that bad, but it was a little bit annoying since they were on the lower manual, and I often played those keys. I opened up my Mojo and found out what was making noise. There is a little tub which holds an entire key, so it makes stable. That little tub was missing. I don't know why. I'm pretty picky because every time I played gliss, I could hear that noise. I asked them to send me some keys for replacement, and they took care of it.

The great thing is, I could see how the Mojo is constructed. It made me realize how easy replacing parts is on the Mojo, and it's easy for many people to replace parts because the construction is pretty simple. If I need to replace some parts on my Mojo, I don't need a tech because it's simple enough for me to fix it. This means, I don't need to ship my Mojo to Italy to fix something, which saves a lot of time and money.

I use my Mojo every gig and rehearsal. It's a nice shape, but there are dents and scratches on the wood panels here and there. That happens when you play more than ten gigs every month even if you are pretty careful. The system is very stable, and I never had a problem.

Indeed, Guido updates the VB3 2 often, and this is one of the greatest things because other companies don't updates often and don't listen to users much. Tony Monaco will start using it soon because I talked to Tony a couple days ago, so the VB3 will improve more and more in the future, I guess.

Moe, Mitch, and Hal own the Mojo (and WheelHead has the Hamichord). Anyone else?

Sorry for the length of this:

Mine is the oldest. (not that it means anything) being the original Hamichord Mk1 (meaning "original" model not first one made, obviously) and the first HC in the United States about 3 years ago.

The whole notion of the HC is that you buy it once upgrade software and that has proven true, The new HC really has shown to me or features thereof, no material reason (though nicer) to upgrade, imo. Originally mine had the B4II and I still have it. Mine (Mk1) has built in board like the Mojo and no rack slide-in spot (Mk2) to add the sound engine later. The Mk2 that is current as most know has the benefit of being able to buy at a lower price point and then get the VB3-2 sound engine later on the slide in rack

Then with Guido's help I configured my VB31 (not HE Edition) to run, though I had a few minor issues with it (this was not 1.4 like today). I went back to the B4II that I had a real nice tweak of.

I also had an Event Processor + running from Midi-Out of the Hamichord that I was able to make a *perfect* map, after having some difficulty mapping the odd CC arrangement of the HC half-moon that I had to use an EP+ 'midi loop' feature in software to work the Apple EVB3 organ (not to be confused with VB3) that is still in the EP as I lost the map though I will overwrite it with another map as I don't use it, sometime soon. Too much work to re-write.

Then . . various builds of the VB3-2 . . one not capable to run in old Mk1 board, having me revert to the previous VB3-2 build. Even now the Crumar VB3-2 I was told by Guido does not have 100% polyphony on the MK1 due to bandwidth of the CPU BUT I have never had an issue. I could update the board but 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. Plays fantastic. This may or may not hold true for future builds where I will up the board.

I use the Hammond Suzuki XK3 system bench and use the Hammond Suzuki Porta-B 25 wooden pedal board. This is NOT midi capable so I had to make a midi box, do a lot of soldering, with a midi PCB where the Porta B pedal board 16 pin goes in box and general midi comes out to the HC pedal in. I did this because I got a new HS orphaned Porta B pedal board for around 400 worth 2500+.

Lately, addicted using the Leslie 3300 THAT SOUNDS UNBELIEVABLE!! with the VB3-2 and have not used the internal though it is GREAT!! Bass out goes to a QSC Ksub that makes the bass sound awesome and toe taps like cool plucks.

I have to agree the VB3-2 is majorly inspiring to play. Like it as much as just about any Hammond I have owned or played though that may sound like hyperbole.

The thing that fascinates me (still) about the VB3-2 is how small a file it is with so many features. I believe the organ without the install .exe compressed is around 800KB+, uncompressed 1.17MB that will fit on a floppy, though interestingly enough, Beatrix, the organ the KeyB sound engine is said to be based on originally or inspired from of Dr. Kilander's, is about 700KB+ so I would suspect the Keyb sound engine and VB3-2 *could* be around the same size. ??? Apparently all that is needed.

W.

Thanks, guys.

Moe, have you ever used your controller to play VB3-2 in the Mojo?

Thanks, guys.

Moe, have you ever used your controller to play VB3-2 in the Mojo?

Yes, but not fully. The CC maps are different, and to truly take advantage I would need to run it thru MidiOx and remap everything. I'll get around to it!

I still haven't run it thru the Decimator either...

Moe

---

Tony Monaco will start using it soon because I talked to Tony a couple days ago, so the VB3 will improve more and more in the future, I guess.

Wow!! Now THAT is news!!! Mojo? Not the full Hamichord? Interesting. i suppose he will stay with the XK3 System for the full pop.

BTW, I dug the recording of the C2. Obviously, it is hard though to get the full Patterson, reported, nuance without a real good recording. The piano player did an extra nice job on that too.

I have a feeling Nord will strike back at the Mojo with an improved model since it raised the bar, with the C2(D) perhaps not right away. Lots of motivation to do this, imo, called the C2D. Nord can't just ride it out and stay the same. They are another one to closely watch, I think, in the future for the organ enthusiasts. All the organ players win as the quality gets more fierce.

Thanks again!!!

W.

I've been thinking about tinkering with the action to make it more Hammond-like.

It has about 1/8" too deep a throw, which might not be too hard to change. I would need to verify that it doesn't affect the velocity triggering when turned on.

And a slightly less stiff set of springs should finish it off nicely. I have no idea if these are available.

Moe

---