Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Mojo Review - Gig Tested

Great review! A couple quick comments:

Tonewheel set #9 (1956 C3) cuts really well through a live band. Tonewheel set 1 (VB3CE Standard) does also but is also thicker in the midrange.

Yes, you can change what the shift knob functions control. The procedure (basic MIDI learn functionality) is described in the updated user manual available on the site.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my gosh. I just switched to phones (my old abused Grados) and that '56 C3 sounds super fine.

I'm starting to think that the Accugrooves are not the most accurate speaker. Wide range, yes. Sweet midrange, yes. Huge bass, yes. But the phones are just showing so much more detail and tonal balance!

Moe

---

While the speeds and ramps are not adjustable, I have no complaints with how they sound. I still want them adjustable though!

I'n surprised speed isn't adjustable, since you can alter the horn speed on a real Leslie 122 (you could move its pulley to, if I remember correctly, 3 different possible positions).

On a different but related note, have you tried the various Leslie permutations of mono, left-right stereo, and top-bottom stereo? I'm curious to hear more people's thoughts about these...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

While the speeds and ramps are not adjustable, I have no complaints with how they sound. I still want them adjustable though!

I'n surprised speed isn't adjustable, since you can alter the horn speed on a real Leslie 122 (you could move its pulley to, if I remember correctly, 3 different possible positions).

Yes you can.

A common issue with Leslies that are messed with my people who do not know what they are doing is they see the belt slipping and they increase the belt tension and remove the slippage. The belt is supposed to slip. If the belt doesn't slip it is real hard on the motor.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I find that a lot of headphones don't cut it for clone re production. They are usually too shrill.

I picked up some low end Sennheisers at Guitar Center and use them with a JVC amp that has EQ ing that seem to work pretty well.

Ditto with speakers. I went on and on about this when I got my Numa a year or so ago. I hated a lot of the new high end powered stuff. The tweeter/ horn just was too much.

I would up using a Yamaha S15ME and a Community CSX 38M floor monitor. Both have 15 inch woofers in them.

Mitch,

I just received my Mojo today, and I love the sound. I'm a bit confused on the global editing. For instance, hitting Shift + Lower Manual preset 6 should give me four options for velocity selection: led off (velocity off), led blinking fast (velocity on upper manual only), led blinking slow (velocity on lower manual only) and led on (velocity both manuals). When I hit Shift, I can only toggle between the LED on or off. I can't seem to get the LED blinking either slow or fast. Obviously, I'm missing something. I appreciate any help you can give.

Alex

Maybe you need to update it. The first Mojos only shipped with velocity on or off for both manuals but that changed with a software update. Check the Crumar site.

(Yes, it seems it should have shipped with the update, but maybe it slipped somehow)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Alex,

If you just got your Mojo, you should have the most updated firmware which is version 1.3. However, I suppose it is possible that you don't. You can tell what version of firmware you have by the boot sequence lights. When you power on the Mojo, the #1 preset on the upper manual lights up. Another preset light in the lower manual lights up also. This tells you what version you have. If preset 1 or 2 lights up, then you have version 1.1 or 1.2 which do not have velocity adjustment on a manual by manual basis.

If this is the case, the most recent firmware and instructions on how to install it can be found on the Crumar website under the support section.

Now, if you do have version 1.3 already installed, then I am not sure what the issue is and Guido or Andrea will need to be consulted.

Let me know!

Mitch

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Maybe you need to update it. The first Mojos only shipped with velocity on or off for both manuals but that changed with a software update. Check the Crumar site.

(Yes, it seems it should have shipped with the update, but maybe it slipped somehow)

Right on. Though he awaits Mitch I believe your answer is correct.

You update the firmware usually with Midiox and have to set it up correctly. The manual or PDF instruction that downloads with the firmware is pretty good with this. I first used a loader with my MAC that did not work. Pulled out a Windows netbook with Midiox. Firmware update may be different than the HC that I am familiar with though I doubt it.

I had issues with the Hamichord flash (similar) that puzzled me and once I thought for a sec I bricked it quickly realizing it can take multiple attempts/failures not like computer BIOS. I flashed the firmware 10s of times with great frustration.

Turned out to be a cheap USB Midi Interface I used. Went out and bought the more expensive Midisport Uno that worked perfectly first time. Cheap USB can give bad flash unless it was just the one I had. With bad flash the Hamichord was toast and dead for a few hours. Knowing I could fix it, still, was quite disconcerting. (the notion of dead organ)

(Explanation: why did I need to up the Hamichord MK1 firmware? - to add EPS that automatically programs your chosen preset in the reverse-colored keys that is amazingly cool by holding key down a few seconds)

The files are SYSEX files obviously.

W.

Just wanted to let you guys know that the way Guido suggested for a mono amp really works. I set my Mojo the way he suggested, and I played with a band on a gig the other day, and it was fine. It worked fine. I don't need to use two cables anymore, and now it's even easier and less time to set up my whole gear.

58 Hammond B3, 74 Leslie 122, 64 Hammond, A100, 61 Leslie 45, Hammond XK-5 system, Hammond SX Pro, SKX Pro, MAG P-2, etc... owned many others...

I had some similar issues updating the FW of my Mojo that Wheelhead had. It seems like the Mojo is picky. If you do the update and the Mojo isn't responsive, check your connections an keep trying it until it takes. It eventually will.

Here is the video I shot last week, and you can see the Mojo with a band. The sound of the Mojo does cut through. I used the internal mic of the camera, but you get the idea.

58 Hammond B3, 74 Leslie 122, 64 Hammond, A100, 61 Leslie 45, Hammond XK-5 system, Hammond SX Pro, SKX Pro, MAG P-2, etc... owned many others...

Here is the video I shot last week, and you can see the Mojo with a band. The sound of the Mojo does cut through. I used the internal mic of the camera, but you get the idea.

Very nice!

Don't take me serious, I'm just playing.

------------------------------------------------------------

Gear: Hammond XK5-system, Nord Stage3 Compact, Crumar Seven, Rhodes Mk2; Hammond M44

>Bronks & mrnordelectro,

Thank you for the compliments. :)

You may have seen that I subscribed to both your SoundCloud and your YouTube feed. You are good. :thu:

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I just saw it Joe! Thank you, and I appreciate it. :) By the way, you've got a nice A100! I have a 61 A102 as well. ;)

Ah! Another member of the A100 series club! :) Thanks man, they truly are the best bargain in B3s. :D

I have to say that my A100 > twin leslies is sounding SO amazing since I had the chorus generator serviced. The Trek reverb helps too.

FAR OUT!

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.