Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Mojo Review - Gig Tested

Going to chime in; I use a Kruz ME-1 on the lower manual of my C2 and there is velocity control. Needs to be set up every time you power up; simple enough in the midi menu just find Local control "E" and set it. Can also change the trigger depth for both manuals for a little different feel. Joe.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But can you change the trigger depth independently for each manual?

Yes - if I understand your question correctly - one manual of the C1 can be velocity sensitive and the other non-velocity sensitive if that is what you mean

That's interesting, Dglavko. I know for a fact the C2 doesn't support that functionality. Odd that an earlier revision would support a feature that the later revision doesn't.

I'm not sure about the C-2 but I have, for example, used the lower manual of my C-1 to play velocity sensitive piano from a sonic cell or Motif rack or vmachine and used in the upper manual of the C-1 to play the C1 organ which is inherently non-velocity sensitive (quick trigger point). The only catch is that you have to turn off the Nord drawbars on the lower manual unless you want both organ and piano from that manual at the same time.

...and I think you can expect an update from Guido pretty soon that will allow you to turn off the MIDI...

No, but I've just had an idea: with firmware version 1.3 you can press and hold the Manual buttons of each manual to set the manual in CANCEL MODE, this lets you save a preset since it automatically sets all drawbars values at zero position, but in a next update I could associate this function to a MIDI Channel shift, so for example, if you set the upper manual to CANCEL, it sends on channel 4 instead of 1, and lower manual would send on channel 5 instead of 2. Channel 3 remains reserved to the pedalboard. This is an idea... so you can switch from internal to external sounds with a single button. :)

Mitch, have you any of the 'minor issues' LyonsT alluded too in terms of cabinet 'tightness'?

No, the build of my Mojo is nice and solid. The end blocks look really nice and haven't suffered any dings in a month and a half of regular gigging and rehearsals. The drawbars and buttons feel great.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

I never said it wasn't solid, in fact I have stated a few time now the the build quality in my opinion is great, feeling more solid then the SK & xk. The small things are just my little niggles like the knobs not having a stripe of while so you can see it better in the dark. Its a great instrument. I'm saying nothing more on the subject now, I'm just repeating myself.

Tonewheels!!

KeyB Duo MkII

The side panels of my Mojo are very nice looking. Wondering how to protect them on gigs from a ding or two.

One problem I do have is that I didn't get my halfmoon switch as ordered with the Mojo. Was emailed on Jan 11th that it would be shipped separate and take 8 days max. Haven't gotten it yet and I emailed for a tracking number but no response. Maybe it's due to their moving as someone said. I'm wondering what shipping they use for small pieces as the Mojo came via DHL and a tracking number?

Other than that it sounds great and thanks Mitch for your help.

and I emailed for a tracking number but no response. Maybe it's due to their moving as someone said. I'm wondering what shipping they use for small pieces as the Mojo came via DHL and a tracking number?

Other than that it sounds great and thanks Mitch for your help.

You have to email Andrea.

May not be right away but Andre always is on top of things.

My last problem was getting my EPS to work. This firmware load for some reason I was putting off doing and finally did it. I thought I bricked it a couple of times loading various firmware. I did discover that the EPS works with 1.3 on Hamichord but I could not get it to work on 1.31. (for first version Hamichord I am sure 1.31 works EPS on MkII)

The EPS on the Hamichord is programming your black/white preset by setting the drawbars with the first rack and holding the preset black key (or white key) of choice down for a few seconds. Two LEDs blink telling you that the preset you created is saved. The bottom manual uses the 3rd rack to set. Impressive!! I have all my presets set now so no unnecessary fumbling.

I read somewhere they are extremely-formidably busy or moving or something so patience helps.

This was the technical beef I had with the instrument when I first got it, being, the reverse-colored preset octaves were not programmable like a real Hammond. Firmware 1.3 solved that.

W.

Yes I emailed Andrea and another who sent it but since it's past the date I was told, I was wondering about it but got no reply. But I didn't know they're very busy so I'll keep waiting. Maybe it gets held up in customs? I do have the foot switch so I can get by at the moment. Not a big thing as long as it comes eventually.

Does anyone have the Hamichord EXP Edition? I'm wondering how it compares to the Mojo and Hamichord.

The EXP Edition is a rack module that slides in the Hamichord MKII or can be used standalone. It has the same sound engine as the Mojo. The new Hamichord is sold at the bottom level as a controller so later a person can add the sound internally like an organ or first edition HC.

You have:

1. Original Hamichord a black product with built in board (like the Mojo) and 11 pin.

2. New Hamichord MkII sold at base level as controller with optional EXP (expander) that has no 11 pin

3. Mojo

All the above run the VB3-2

W.

Funny, I knew nothing about it and just happened to discover the EXP myself last night. I went to order it, but they are moving and not taking any orders until 2/1.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

...and I think you can expect an update from Guido pretty soon that will allow you to turn off the MIDI...

No, but I've just had an idea: with firmware version 1.3 you can press and hold the Manual buttons of each manual to set the manual in CANCEL MODE, this lets you save a preset since it automatically sets all drawbars values at zero position, but in a next update I could associate this function to a MIDI Channel shift, so for example, if you set the upper manual to CANCEL, it sends on channel 4 instead of 1, and lower manual would send on channel 5 instead of 2. Channel 3 remains reserved to the pedalboard. This is an idea... so you can switch from internal to external sounds with a single button. :)

This sounds workable. If you could make it smart enough to automatically switch to velocity triggering when set to an external midi channel, and back to high triggering when using internal midi channels, it would be perfect.

Moe

---

Funny, I knew nothing about it and just happened to discover the EXP myself last night. I went to order it, but they are moving and not taking any orders until 2/1.

That is amazing. Now what I am about to say could very well be incorrect and just a notion but when a vender does not take your money moving or not-moving *I* would take it that there is *no* inventory laying around and they have to run production at new facilities to get new product. In other words, sold out. I can't believe a company would refuse orders if there was inventory, though it is an unusual world these days. Even while moving if you have product you can ship it.

I cautioned a friend of mine that wanted the Mojo a month ago that the interest is strong and possibly, you never know, could go into backorder and to move quickly if serious. (***not*** saying company is citing products for backorder)

Looks like maybe some hiring may be happening in Italy for certain MI product company(s). Who knows???

W,

just a notion but when a vender does not take your money moving or not-moving *I* would take it that there is *no* inventory laying around and they have to run production at new facilities to get new product. In other words, sold out.

Then it would make more sense to simply say "back-ordered." But another possibility is that, in general, they always have little to no completed stock, they may largely be building to order. And that is indeed hard to do when you're also in the middle of moving.

It's also interesting that it says to wait to Feb 1 to place an order, OR to email them. Maybe if someone is really desperate, they can manage to get something out... but they really don't want to be dealing with that in the middle of moving unless it's really urgent.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'll guess that the reaction to the Mojo has been strong enough that 3 guys have to move out of their garage to a real facility.

If so, well done guys! I'm thinking hard about pulling the trigger myself. One cannot have too many organs. :thu:

There is actually a YouTube video of BGs and it is quite a lot larger than a garage but I know what you mean. Actually a multi room facility shown on the video with keyboards and components stacked neatly with assembly areas. Remember building the Paree there is/was a lot of components (I think) that they had access to.

[video:youtube]

These guys do have long and deep experience, to be fair, including the Pari real tonewheel organ. If you look at this pic I found you can see that the Hamichord interface is almost exactly like the Pari. I also read a report of the K61 citing the "sales manager" having the same last name as the Crumar principle so these guys have been doing this for generations.

http://hammondeer.tripod.com/k61-top.jpg

The appointments in this K61 pic are exactly like the tabs and vibrato knob on the Hamichord so these guys really had the components for the Hamichord digital from the tonewheel Pari it would seem. First tab on top left on HC turns Midi on and off but same group of 3 tabs. Even the drawbars look identical to the HC.

One could almost safely say the Hamichord is a digital version of the only-real-tonewheel-organ-of-recent-manufacture, Pari organ. (I said "almost"), imo.

W.

I have been thinking about this for a little while. Would any of you buy it?

Yes the Hami-chord exists and is a fantastic thing but that's just not practical for myself and I am sure many others. Let me know your thoughts on it! :)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7002/6809766703_da761518f3_b.jpg

Refined the location of the buttons and given it some symmetry ;)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7164/6809738313_3734cda113_b.jpg

Tonewheels!!

KeyB Duo MkII

So the advantage of this over the Hamichord is the reduced size/weight by losing the reverse-octave preset keys?

I have been thinking about this for a little while. Would any of you buy it?

Yes the Hami-chord exists and is a fantastic thing but that's just not practical for myself and I am sure many others. Let me know your thoughts on it! :)

Looks like good idea actually as step up feature for the Mojo. A 4 drawbar upgrade kit would be nice for those who bought the 2 rack in this hypothetical.

Me? As many differ to what they like, I like the HC presets right there in front, programmable EPS and fast access to hit a reverse-colored key. Not really that much more to move. Remember many of us moved real B3s and Rhodes (plus a lot more) all over the place so the argument of 30lbs vs 40lbs (+or-) is really an argument of 2012. We would laughed about this years ago.

Having said the above: a friend of mine who does a guitar single would play out of a vintage transistor radio if he could get away with it. No one wants to carry anything heavy AND THAT is a good idea but there is some degree of reasonableness that is prudent, only, that is subjective, imo

Also moving tools and cases could be a little more creative, imo, for example loading and unloading from case on top of organ stand instead of lifting out of case to stand.

The HC is not heavy at all but bulky for one person until its in a case.

W.

Thanks for your comment WheelHead, I agree it is a small amount of weight really. Its more the bulk really. As Tesco say every little helps! haha

I have mine sounding beautiful right now absolutely love it! However when playing it I crave those extra drawbars so I can see what I am going to change to, and change it on the fly before I switch. Seems practical, if they fit put um on! :P

How do you like the logo on the 'poster'?

Tonewheels!!

KeyB Duo MkII

How do you like the logo on the 'poster'?

I like it. Crumar should look at the 4 drawbar notion of yours. Especially now with the new Clavia organ.

PERHAPS!!! ???? for anyone buying one of these (Mojos) if they want 4 racks, they should ask Andrea and would not be surprised if they can do it now as a custom Mojo. They do custom stuff. Going to be more expensive though.

. or perhaps they can't do it. I would ask if interested.

W.

A custom Mojo you say? :D :D :D

I have already emailed them to see what they think, I'd love it as an upgrade to my Mojo.

As for the Clavia C2D thing, it's the first company I know of that have made a clone that is compact with 4 sets of drawbars draw-FADERS!

It aint got the sound and feel I am looking for, I found that in the Mojo, now I want the extra drawbars and I am a happy man!

Photoshop a wonderful thing :D

Tonewheels!!

KeyB Duo MkII