Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Son in 6th grade band (trumpet) after we greatly encouraged

stepay

I posed the question a little over a year ago here about whether you would force your kid to join band. Here's that thread - https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2199702/1

We didn't FORCE him to, but basically in our school system, you must be in band OR orchestra OR choir OR take a basic music class (usually with the worst students) that involves choir. My son was NOT really interested in any of the choices but decided that the band and the trumpet were the lesser of all evils (we helped him see that).

The result:

He started playing the trumpet in August. He now LOVES band. There are some main reasons why he likes it:

1) The trumpet makes a LOUD noise, and he likes that. Good way to bother his older sister.

2) The learning curve is great right now, so he sees little improvements almost every day, and he enjoys that.

3) He's found that he's pretty good at it...better so far than the other trumpet players who are still having trouble playing just three notes while he's moved on to more things.

4) The band director likes to see who can hold the longest note, and he's a distance runner and generally very athletic kid, so he either wins that or finishes second to some girl who plays the oboe (is it easier to hold a note longer on the oboe, or does she just have great lung capacity?). He's very competitive and likes this competition. He was very happy to hear about the "chairs" situation at high school (his older sister plays clarinet, so he heard about the challenges from her); he can't wait to challenge someone just so that he can beat them; typical of him.

So, anyway, I thought he would hate it and he actually likes it a lot. He will never do marching band though because he'll be involved in cross country in the fall when he gets to high school, but concert band is likely in his future.

Anyway, just an update on something you all provided advice on.

Thanks.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 6th grade son is now in intermediate band at the middle school as a trumpeter. He started in 4th grade at his own request, and has now been playing for two years. He's a natural, practices every day after school, and it's great to hear him improve.

His intonation and timing are getting much, much better this year. He likes his band teacher a lot. :thu:

My 6th grade son is now in intermediate band at the middle school as a trumpeter. He started in 4th grade at his own request, and has now been playing for two years. He's a natural, practices every day after school, and it's great to hear him improve.

His intonation and timing are getting much, much better this year. He likes his band teacher a lot. :thu:

Cool. In our school system, the kids begin in 6th grade, or 5th grade for orchestra.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Cool -- self motivation is the kind that counts. Good that you worked it out without forcing it. Now take him to some soul band shows so he can see what else can be done with a trumpet!

My son chose to play baritone horn in grade school. Not a cheap instrument. He stuck with it for about 4 years and was average at it. When he wanted to quit it was clear forcing him wouldn't have helped and we let it go.

Later he wanted a guitar (electric of course). I handed him my classical to practice on and gave him a few starter lessons, with the idea that if he stuck to it he'd get an instrument. He didn't stick with that.

Then at about 15 he decided he wanted to play bass. Again I handed him the classical and gave him a few starter lessons. This time it was totally different: he kept practicing until he got it and came back for more. We started playing together now and then. I griped at him that he needed to learn to tap his foot and play in time, but otherwise tried not to be in his face. He stuck to it.

When he turned 16 we went down to the local pro shop; I said I'd pay for a used P-bass that was there; if he wanted to add funds he could get whatever he wanted and he picked out an Aria Pro II for an extra $100. That turned out to be a great choice and he still plays it.

Right off the bat his hands were better than mine; he gets a better tone from the instrument. He's not a serious player but it's 14 years later and he still plays. He can hold his own at local blues jams or messing around with friends, which is what I call a success -- it works for him in his life, his choices.

We still enjoy playing music together when we get the chance.

Band is a great experience for kids. They love having a class during the day where they're required to make noise.

My wife and I were both "band kids" in school, so we made both of our kids play. My daughter is in her third year and is tearing up the French horn. She started playing Trumpet in the Jazz band this year, and has a natural sense of the phrasing - probably from having been subjected to it all her life.

My wife graduated from Interlochen as a clarinet player. She also sang alto in the choir the same year that Jewel was there singing soprano. I've told she should put "Back-up singer for Jewel" on her resume :)

She played in the Army for a while, and plays in the San Antonio Wind Symphony. She's teaching our son, who just started, and he's doing great, also.

I'm teaching band (if you can call it that) at a private school this year after having taken 20 years off to write and gig. It's a pleasant change of pace, except for the whole 7AM rehearsal thing.

Stepay, Jeff, Learjeff, those are wonderful experiences and I love to hear them. The most important thing is that our kids can enjoy playing music in whatever the instrument and level they want.

I have a small daughter (she's only 1 and a half), and I would like to give her the opportunity of learning any instrument in the future.

I will be really happy if she have some music thorough her life, no matter the "level".

I would love to make some duets with her when she grows up though :)

Band is a great experience for kids. They love having a class during the day where they're required to make noise.

My wife and I were both "band kids" in school, so we made both of our kids play. My daughter is in her third year and is tearing up the French horn. She started playing Trumpet in the Jazz band this year, and has a natural sense of the phrasing - probably from having been subjected to it all her life.

My wife graduated from Interlochen as a clarinet player. She also sang alto in the choir the same year that Jewel was there singing soprano. I've told she should put "Back-up singer for Jewel" on her resume :)

She played in the Army for a while, and plays in the San Antonio Wind Symphony. She's teaching our son, who just started, and he's doing great, also.

I'm teaching band (if you can call it that) at a private school this year after having taken 20 years off to write and gig. It's a pleasant change of pace, except for the whole 7AM rehearsal thing.

I like hearing these stories of other musicians in the family. My wife was a very good clarinetist in high school (1st chair, whatever the highest rating was, and all that), but she admits she was technically good because she practiced a lot but that she doesn't have lots of natural talent. Now, my daughter also plays clarinet and is 1st chair in the freshman band (15 clarinetists), but she is both technically sound and has a great ear for music...sort of a combination of my wife and me. I think my son may have similar abilities which is cool; I was mainly concerned about his interest level, but that appears to be there now, so that's awesome.

All these activities make for busy evenings. Tonight I have to pick my daughter up from cross country practice at 5:00 (bringing 24 bottles of water for their weekly cookout they call "meat fest"), wait for her while her high school team scarfs down some food and cheers on the middle school cross country team that is having a meet tonight, then get her home so she can quickly shower to get ready for a band concert tonight at 7:30.

It's all pretty fun though.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

That's awesome stepay! I played trumpet from 4th grade all the way through high school (age 9 to age 18 for those of you outside the US). It was the source of most of my formal training in music reading and such. (I did take piano lessons, but only sporadically). It was a great experience, and I'm really glad I had it.

Now take him to some soul band shows so he can see what else can be done with a trumpet!

YES! Definitely do that.

http://www.towerofpower.com/tour-dates/

Don't see an Ohio date there, but maybe they'll add a date. And of course there are other bands too. But if you want to see trumpets showcased in a non-uncool way, hard to beat TOP. ;)

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Sounds great.

My son is 8 years old (not sure what grade that makes him), and plays violin in a school orchestra. I've no idea why he likes the violin (there's guitars, drums and a piano in our house), but he likes it!

He has also just started trombone which ticks the box for "loud", so I guess he may have to choose between the two some time soon.

. I've no idea why he likes the violin (there's guitars, drums and a piano in our house), but he likes it!

Same thing here. We have a house full drums,percussion, marimba, guitars, and of course keyboards. My daughter started violin at age four. At age five, I started teaching her piano. She's eight now and doing well on both instruments. She's the only 3rh grader in the school orchestra (most are 5th and 6th graders) She also signed up for her school choir which I'm very happy about.

Cross country was one of the worst experiences in high school. I always finished second to last.... Hockey was my thing till everyone outgrew me....

At my school district they started in 3rd grade. I took up cello. Into high school I was always fighting for first stand. I had the best tone out of all the cellos, silky smooth, but the conductor hated me because I was always Playing jazz bass on the cello when he wasn't conducting... Big mistake. Needless to say I was put into the last chair even though there wasn't enough music.

Trumpet players are no damn good, some of the worst people I know.

Take him to as many trumpet-centric performances as you can in Columbus. Out of town, the Cleveland Orchestra has a kids concert series and next March they perform a John Williams movie score program w/film projections. Sean Jones joined the Oberlin faculty this year. I love Sean's music. He is a warm, welcoming guy who enjoys talking with kids.

Now take him to some soul band shows so he can see what else can be done with a trumpet!

Leave the trumpet spinning to professionals. A creased bell is not pretty.

Stepay, we should, of course, talk gear in this thread. :D

I've been making "rent-to-own" payments on my kid's horn, since he started in 4th grade and I didn't want to spring for a big bill if he wasn't going to stick with it. At this point, I'm really glad we chose a pretty decent student trumpet. He plays a Yamaha YTR-2335...

http://www.altomusic.com/shop/images/product/ytr2335-9a0eea30386886a9a8d109b5e24aab01.jpg

They run about $1000, but it would have been bad musician karma to saddle my own son with sub-par gear from the start. ;)

I played brass in school band. In 5th grade they started us on cornet. I think the reasoning was a cornet was easier to blow than a trumpet. I don't see cornets much anymore.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Don't forget to make other instruments "available". My now 16 y.o. son started out hating violin (wifey's insistence), then warmed up to saxophone (my main axe) at school, and picked up a stray guitar along the way and while he still does sax in classical band at school he now plays guitar at a pro level (way better than me) jazz, blues, rock... There's no better feeling than jamming on stage with your 15/16 y.o. and watching jaws drop in the audience.

But kids want their own identity so at the risk of sounding preachy don't assume they want to play your axe too....

Cornets are perhaps little easier than trumpets. Cornet tubing is mostly conical, trumpets mostly cylindrical. The conical bore makes more efficient use of air. Also, cornets are shorter so the balance to hold is easier and the bell closer to the player for more feedback. British-style brass bands are where you'll find the most use for cornets. I have a beat up cornet just for fun.

I've been making "rent-to-own" payments on my kid's horn, since he started in 4th grade and I didn't want to spring for a big bill if he wasn't going to stick with it. At this point, I'm really glad we chose a pretty decent student trumpet. He plays a Yamaha YTR-2335...

http://www.altomusic.com/shop/images/product/ytr2335-9a0eea30386886a9a8d109b5e24aab01.jpg

They run about $1000, but it would have been bad musician karma to saddle my own son with sub-par gear from the start. ;)

Excellent horn. Where in the South Bay are you renting to own might I ask?

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Excellent horn. Where in the South Bay are you renting to own might I ask?

A little shop in Manhattan Beach called Dietz Brothers. Nice people, and as a small store, they do most of their business in catering to the school music rental market. Good niche to be in.

We are also doing the rent-to-own thing for the same reason...I'm not sure of the brand...I'll have to check. My daughter also did the rent-to-own thing with her clarinet even though my wife had a ~$3,000 clarinet...it needed $300 of work to make it playable, so we rented early on. My daughter now uses that better clarinet along with #4 reeds, and those two things along with some talent and practice and interest, have enabled her to land 1st chair. The others are gunning for her though, and at least the top 5 are very good players.

The expensive clarinet thing is odd. My wife's parents are very frugal (but not cheap) and bought this clarinet for a low low price back in the 80s, and apparently neither they nor the seller knew what it was. When we took it to get overhauled, the people at the music store went into shock, and they said that only one person in Columbus was good enough to work on it...they then said it was worth $3,000-$3,500 retail. Anyway, after 3 years on the plastic one, my daughter LOVES this wooden clarinet. We will sell the other one back to the music store soon.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

I enjoyed playing trumpet in junior high school and high school; no one ever told me I was particularly good at it, but it was great experience learning to read and follow a conductor.

At 15 I took up the guitar, which will always be my main instrument; but I certainly don't regret learning to read music. It's harder on guitar, but a G is still a G and 4/4 is still 4/4......

I wouldn't even mind picking up the trumpet again, but I'm playing flute and mandolin in addition to guitar - I just don't have TIME to add another instrument - plus which it's a loud one, and my neighbors and wife would have collective cows!

...they then said it was worth $3,000-$3,500 retail.

I'm guessing its a Buffet R-13??? ...or perhaps an old top of the line Selmer.

The R-13 is the B3 of clarinets.

I actually do not know what it is. I should probably find out.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Jeez, I wish my school board had those kinds of music programs! People were still struggling on the recorder in grade 6 over here. I was an anomaly as the only fifth grader in the bells group. I got the spot because not enough people from grade 6 tried out, and I was the goodie-two-shoes music nerd a year younger. :)

Actually, I wish my school board had a music program, period. It's a disgrace. Pisses me off every time I think about it. Then I cry when I see what other schools had, top players around the city with Masters' and PhDs from Rutgers, New England Conservatory, etc. My music "teacher" should've been fired years ago. It's no wonder less than 10 people sign up for the class, all grades combined... :mad::(:cry::sick::deadhorse::blah::eek::taz::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Archived