Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The van man cometh

Aidan

So after a slightly delayed arrival (windscreen got a crack somewhere up on the delivery run, now replaced) my new set of wheels has finally arrived.

http://www.goldstraw.com/images/berlingonow.jpg

So far, I'm extremely impressed. Early indications are that I will easily get early to mid-50s mpg out of this thing and the iPhone integration with Bluetooth (including audio streaming) is simple and great quality. It also includes a built-in satnav with tracking in the event of theft.

The only slightly hairy thing so far has been reversing a large vehicle through my gate without the aid of a central mirror or back and side windows, but slowly getting the hang of that, and the reassurance of parking sensors helps a lot.

Got a long haul down to South Wales with it next week for a gig (two nights away) and it's going to be a great gear-hauler!

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Ford Transit only gets 25mpg. A van that gets 50mpg... that's a dream!

edit: It's only a dream for folks in the US, I guess. The Citroen vans really do get excellent mileage.

I thought about getting a Ford Transit, but ended up buying a used Honda Odyssey. I took out the back seats and put a 4x8 piece of plywood in the back. It's a nice gig vehicle for sure, but gets maybe 20mpg in the city & a little better on the highway.

Does that pass for a chick-mobile in the UK?

In the US that's the kind of van married women buy their husbands. It's like buying a chastity belt. It could be considered a form of mechanical castration. If it was two years old and coming of lease it would be perfect. 3 cylinders? Under 90HP?

Yikes. It is under 90HP! That's illegal in the US. Too fuel efficient :)

I like it that vans are coming without windows again. Its's easier to hide the bodies and the empties.

Well, not noticed its qualities as a babe magnet yet, that's for sure. Lots of interest from my male friends - think it's a "boys toys" kinda dynamic going on.

Steve, what you pictured looks like what's marketed in the UK as the Transit Connect. I'm pretty sure the diesel version of that model has fuel consumption pretty comparable with my Berlingo, certainly in the 40s.

That's a pretty recent addition to Ford Europe's van range. Most people over her think of this as a "Transit"...

http://www.purevans.co.uk/images/uploads/1308228780_transit.jpg

Much bigger and popular as bandmobiles. I'd imagine the consumption on one of these babies to be around 25mpg for sure. In fact, the name has become so synonymous with medium/large panel vans that it's achieved "Hoover" status over here as an all-encompassing term.

The Transit Connect isn't at all related to the main Transit van family here, but is actually based on the Ford Focus chassis, I believe.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Its's easier to hide the bodies and the empties.

What's that officer - the reading's showing that I just under the limit? That's great. Can I go? Magic. For a moment there I thought you were going to ask to check my boot. What? I thought that us finished. What have I done now?

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

That's a pretty recent addition to Ford Europe's van range. Most people over her think of this as a "Transit"...

http://www.purevans.co.uk/images/uploads/1308228780_transit.jpg

Man, that thing looks great. Much more practical for me than the Transit Connect. I swear, Ford has some really hip stuff in Europe that we don't get in the States, and that Transit is one of em....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

In Canada we have the same version as the US and here it is called the Transit Connect just like in the UK. I have not checked them out so I have no idea what they are like. There are the Dodge/Mercedes/Freightliner Sprinter vans too which are bigger but I hear conflicting reports on the reliability of them.

The trouble with diesel, at least in the States, is that it is taxed so severely that it is by far the most expensive fuel.

I don't like paying more and getting less.

It is more than regular gas, but not more than premium in most cases. There are many cars that require premium, so I look at my diesel vehicle as no different and similar cost of fuel. Once you factor in the awesome MPG and cost per mile, it's a savings for sure.

I like paying the same and getting a lot more.

The trouble with diesel, at least in the States, is that it is taxed so severely that it is by far the most expensive fuel.

I don't like paying more and getting less.

We're between 20 and 25 cents a gallon.

The thing is Ford is giving the UK a 67-MPG Focus next year (diesel) and that's not going to be their most efficient engine of the small 1.6s. It's 104 HP and they introduce a low torque engine around 75 HP as part of the line up in a couple years after a revamp.

That would clean up in the US

Some time ago I rented a small Fiat minivan for getting my gear to a musical instrument fair a couple of days, I don't know the mpg but it was sufficiently comfortable for two persons and the big speakers, S90 etc over a few hundred KMs.

I don't know how safe these models are, I suppose red indeed stands out a bit, and 50MPG is nice. I drove an old Renault Clio for years which also has a bit of space but nowhere near the minivan, but OTOH was more comfortable. The Audi 100 I can currently use needs a new motor-belt and might have to go (I didn't buy it), but then again, I currently didn't do much with transporting equipment at all. Of course the luxury and space costs major mpg in this case, the OP wins hands down..

If I'd have the choice a A3 avant hybrid with 100 (really, it appears) mpg would sound great.

Theo

Archived