Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amy Winehouse

LX88

The best thing that Three Dog Night could have done is kick Chuck out of the band... it was up to him to find the courage to seek help. And he did.

The worse thing that backup singer could do is sing the second verse for a stoned Winehouse.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To call her a hack? That's a bit strong. Comparisons to Lady Day or Garland aren't so far fetched. I also don't remember hearing anything this harsh about Whitney Houston, who's fall from grace was MUCH farther, and never once heard her called a "hack" because of her drug use..

All this talk about Winehosue and Lady Day makes me want to see listen to Lou Reed's "Berlin" and hear the real thing :)

It was either that or this in 1972, Actually this would be a good cover for Winehouse.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxEQCvDnLgY

I don't know about you guys, but I have neither time nor inclination to figure out which artists have drug habits and whether I'm somehow enabling them if it download one of their songs. If I could have seen Hendrix play, I would have gone, no questions asked. The idea that staying home might have saved his life lacks much logical force. There are people just down the street from me right now in downtown SF who can't afford a hamburger and fries but are drugging themselves to an early grave, it doesn't take a pop star's budget to make that happen.

edit: The hamburger addition was key to my point. Fries, on the other hand, were gratuitous.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

With Adan I agree: If I could see Hendrix play, I would. I went to see Jimmy Page play on a number of occasions knowing he was likely turded up, but it was Jimmy Page! Im over it now. I've seen enough bad Jimmy performances to last me a lifetime.

I owe no one any responsibility other than my family and friends, and denying myself enjoyment based on the drug-fueled work of others is ridiculous and ultimately isnt enabling them anymore than NOT enjoying their work. One has nothing to do with the other. Anybody who knows ANYTHING about drug and alcohol affliction know its a day by day disease, and just because Chuck Negron or Steven Tyler or (insert name here) is clean today doesnt mean that tomorrow they couldn't relapse.

As for comparisons to Judy Garland or Billie Holliday, none of us can say whether she is or isnt of that caliber. Those women are dead, and we have the benefit of their entire timeline to use as a barometer; Winehouse is alive, and in the grand scheme of things, hoping that she gets her life straightened out, may have a whole other career ahead of her as a sober performer. Its too early to hand out or deny lifetime achievement awards. Look at Steven Tyler; he had a longer career sober than high, and yet, in the last couple of years, has been battling his demons again.

Her life is her responsibility, and her family and friends owe her some responsibility in helping her turn things around, but there is a limit to all responsibility. I just think were all just presenting ourselves as trolls with this thread.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

As for comparisons to Judy Garland or Billie Holliday, none of us can say whether she is or isnt of that caliber.

I'd say that comparing Judy Garland and Amy Winehouse is like comparing Al Pacino to the guy who played "Honkey" on The Jeffersons, or comparing Citizen Kane to America's Funniest Home Videos. :laugh:

As for comparisons to Judy Garland or Billie Holliday, none of us can say whether she is or isnt of that caliber.

I'd say that comparing Judy Garland and Amy Winehouse is like comparing Al Pacino to the guy who played "Honkey" on The Jeffersons, or comparing Citizen Kane to America's Funniest Home Videos. :laugh:

Today it is.

But unless weve all gotten so omniscient that we can see the future, you dont know what tomorrow will bring.

As a Pacino fan, I wouldnt be using his performances in Cruising or Oceans 13 or Insomnia as the barometer of greatness. But I know hes done great work. I also know hes capable of some shit. Its all in a days workor rather, a lifes work.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

She has a horse face that rivals Sarah Jessica Parker. I think what's hot about Winehouse is her attitude. She'll either get clean or die just like the rest of them.

...why the long face?

http://domainshane.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/sarah_jessica_parker_horse.jpg

http://orvillelloyddouglas.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/sarah-jessica-parker-v.jpg

Moe

---

Bill Evans, Bird, Coltrane, Miles, Hendricks, Jimmy Page, Clapton, Ray Charles, Louis Armstrong, James Carroll Booker, Chet Baker, Judy Garland, Anita O'day, Dr John, Johnny Winter, Walter Becker and on and on. Heck if they can play, I really don't care what they do. God bless them all.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

But unless weve all gotten so omniscient that we can see the future, you dont know what tomorrow will bring.

I guess I'm a clairvoyant, as I'm not seeing Ms. Winehouse as the star of one of the most beloved and iconic pieces of art any time in her future. :laugh:

To be fair, I went to youtube and found some sober Winehouse. She has talent. I wouldn't call it earthshaking but she's a skilled singer when she's straight. That said, someone like Judy Garland had an X factor that comes once in a generation. By all accounts she was a rotten human being, but she was born with something that we mortals simply don't possess.

"I told you ... I was trouble ... you know that I'm no good"

Hope you get well soon you buck eejit.

One more album, go girl. Something new - not a posthumous greatest hits and previously unreleased outtakes.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

I just think we're all just presenting ourselves as trolls with this thread.

Says the Bartender to the Moth: "You've been here 5 hours and it sounds like you need a contract killer, a psychiatrist, and alot of money. Why are you here?"

Says the Moth: "The light was on"

LOL....fair enough!

And to Cygnus: watching Bosom Buddies, did you ever get the impression that "hey, that Tom Hanks is gonna be a HUGE TALENT!"???

Tom's first role was in an el cheapo horror flick, "He knows You're Alone". clonk

In the original script Elliot, Tom Hanks' character, was suppose to fall victim to the killer. However, Hanks was so charismatic on screen that the writers opted to cut Elliot's murder from the script.

Yeah, they noticed. :laugh:

Remember, Judy's addiction was not self inflicted. Plus her 30 + years as an artist speakes for itself.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

This thread is so ridiculously long, I had to go back and find the Judy Garland comparison as it was first made. Here it is:

"Reminds me of a modern day Judy Garland...great voice and a messed up life."

That's it, nothing more. Nobody said AW was on an artistic level with JG. Heck, I could apply that quote to a few of the singers I'm working with right now.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

This whole discussion might not even exist if Ms. Winehouse could perform even somewhat reasonably under the influence, such as Messrs. Clapton, Parker, Hendrix, Tyler, Page, Van Halen, Richards, etc. etc.

Those guys and Ella and Judy had their off nights (or their nights off), but none ever seemed so sloppy when intoxicated.

It would be one thing if this was due to the internet, where she has a bad night once in a while and it gets posted and spread. But all reports are she's like that night after night, and hence the cancellations and bad reviews. It's too bad for her. I wonder if her career had developed more slowly and made performing more a part of her if she would be able to soldier through it. On the other hand, her failures might be the one thing that might bring about a change in her behavior, though it hasn't so far.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

You guys still at it? :poke:

We've learned so much about addiction from HammondDave (he read this book, you know), that we just can't leave.

:rolleyes:

--Dave

I AM ADDICTED TO THIS THREAD>>>> That's it! I am going COLD TURKEY!

Let's talk about the SK1!!!!

I guess what baffles me is this -

Amy won 5 Grammys and Ivor Novello awards etc. etc.

It makes me think she must not have been facing very tough competition. And I think that is a very relevant topic.

Why was she, hands down the hottest artist of 2007 and still one of the biggest selling artists of the 21st century?

I am not questioning that she has some appeal. I give some her credit for not jumping on the rap and drum machine/synth bandwagon, at least.

But recycling "Baby Love" does not put her in the phenomenal category either.

It just makes me wonder where all the other young talent is that Amy is supposedly head and shoulders above.

Anyway....

....If you ever get a chance, visit Belgrade its a very nice city, the food is excellent, the people are friendly and the women are beautiful..

Oh and some of the best jazz musicians i know are from Belgrade/Serbia..

-Music Is The Soul Of Life-

She has a horse face that rivals Sarah Jessica Parker. I think what's hot about Winehouse is her attitude. She'll either get clean or die just like the rest of them.

...why the long face?

http://domainshane.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/sarah_jessica_parker_horse.jpg

http://orvillelloyddouglas.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/sarah-jessica-parker-v.jpg

The pic in the lower left looks like they must have used the "Streisand" filter.

Wonderful talent.

I have sat through some utter crap from Hendrix, Dylan, and many other artists - it happens - get over it.

One major artist I paid to see talked about a spider on his microphone (there was not one there) for the whole set and hardly played a note. Next thing I heard he got foot and mouth disease from kissing a sheep.

She is not unique in having good days and bad days, but she also has excellent days - how many of us can do that?

Horses are beautiful.

And Yes, when she wiggles slowly she is VERY hot.

She will leave a legacy, even if its a small one.

And Yes, when she wiggles slowly she is VERY hot.

She will leave a legacy, even if its a small one.

Sorry... but I find NOTHING attractive about that woman... or any other Meth addict...

by the by, here is A:W: in the English game show, Never Mind the Buzzcocks:

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

Archived