Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amy Winehouse

LX88

If you are going to perform on drugs you may as well shoot for this (ouch). Anita O'Day later admitted to being blasted on H during this performance at Newport. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRleR-e8_t8

I'm glad you brought that video into the discussion, it's one of my favorites ever.

It seems like Hamonddave is here to represent the "just say no to drugs" viewpoint, and who would really argue with that? But at the same time, who would deprive the world of all the great jazz/blues/rock music that was made while people were high? It's a complicated issue, and I don't think it's solved by taking a simplistic position like saying "I want nothing to do with drug addicts." If you play in those genres, then you have undoubtedly taken much of your inspiration from recordings and performances where the musicians were under the influence. And yes, Cyngus, we know that classical musicians get high, too.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you are going to perform on drugs you may as well shoot for this (ouch). Anita O'Day later admitted to being blasted on H during this performance at Newport. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRleR-e8_t8

It seems like Hamonddave is here to represent the "just say no to drugs" viewpoint, and who would really argue with that?

Unfortunately I speak from experience. When you have a band member who is on drugs, it becomes an impossible situation. Its very much like having a spouse who is an alcoholic, or drug addict. In most cases their performance suffers and their personality changes which negatively affects the entire band.

Now, I am not one to preach "just say no to drugs". What people do in their own private space is of no concern to me (as long as they don't endanger others). But when you are depending on a band member to perform at their highest level, drugs and alcohol will only drag the entire band down. The best thing to do is intervene, and if necessary, fire that band member.

Like Janis Joplin, Amy Winehouse is the leader of the band, and no backup band member is in the position to fire her. But unlike some of the talented performers who took drugs and drank excessively, Amy cannot function at all when high. She slurs, sings out of key, forgets lyrics and arrangements, and falls all over herself like a drunk skank.

She will do the dirty work herself as most audience members will not spend money to hear and see that.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I hate to say this but comparing Anita O'day's performance and Amy's latest offering, I am reminded of the somewhat arch 70's saying that "reality is for those who can't handle drugs." At least Amy Winehouse is in such obvious trouble that there is no doubt that she needs help. People like Anita O'day and others who could "handle it" are the much sadder cases as they drink and drug themselves into the grave and no one except a very few ever knew that there was ever anything wrong.

Do you really think that Amy will get help? Drug addicts usually possess an arrogance that drives them to the grave...

Last night at our opening night party they played her "Rehab" song and all these young people were dancing and singing "No, No, No...". I found it a particularly troubling moment.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I never said she would get help, only that it was obvious that she needs it. Maybe that will increase the odds that it will happen. I am well aware of the arrogance of alcoholics and addicts. But an obvious problem may get solved..one that is effectively hidden never will.

This is good news.... I just hope that she is locked up for a year with no contact with the outside world...

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43476590/ns/today-entertainment/

Did you see the video clip? Her management should be fired for allowing her to walk onto a stage in the condition she was in! What a mess! Of course, SHE is ultimately responsible for her own actions, her keepers weren't doing their job either!

Too bad, really!

It would appear management has seen the light.....or the darkness.

I think that the backlash would have been too intense had she continued... I just hope that she is serious this time and removes herself from society for an extended period of time to truly "dry-out" and change her ways... otherwise it will just be like the time she turned to Scientology to quit.

If you look closely at her arms you see bruises all over them... she also rubs her nose a lot... Either heroin or she walks into walls...

For those who think its cool to drink and/or do drugs while performing... or that it "expands" them as musicians and artists... you may look more like this than you realize...

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttJg8901qAU&feature=related

For those who think its cool to drink and/or do drugs while performing... or that it "expands" them as musicians and artists... you may look more like this than you realize...

Thanks for the PSA. :rolleyes:

If you look closely at her arms you see bruises all over them... she also rubs her nose a lot... Either heroin or she walks into walls...

You may have missed your calling as a DEA agent.

You may have missed your calling as a DEA agent.

LOL.... Damn! I could have been Columbo (with great respect to Peter Falk, who just passed away... one of my all time favorite actors!)

This whole discussion might not even exist if Ms. Winehouse could perform even somewhat reasonably under the influence, such as Messrs. Clapton, Parker, Hendrix, Tyler, Page, Van Halen, Richards, etc. etc.

For all we know, Amy has been very capable of performing the majority of her shows, but wheres the news in that? Heres the deal: back then, we didnt have Youtube and camera phones and the instant press. That said, I have plenty of recorded evidence of Jimi sucking, Morrison sucking, Jimmy Page sucking, Tyler suckingand theres LOTS of video evidence of Eddie VanHalen sucking. (He went so far as to sucking at a trade show.where the F were HIS handlers?)

And now Judy gets a pass because her addiction wasnt self-inflicted? Then Elvis get s a break. And Rush Limbaugh and.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

That's my point, Tony... They all sucked on drugs.

I doubt that Amy (or anyone) could perform as well stoned as straight.

and theres LOTS of video evidence of Eddie VanHalen sucking. (He went so far as to sucking at a trade show.where the F were HIS handlers?)

Eddie doesn't have handlers.

Was that when he was playing Jump in the wrong key? For the WHOLE song?

He played Jump in the right key, on guitar. The synth was wrong. Whose fault that was is up for debate, and is probably :deadhorse: around here.

The trade show appearance was really embarrassing.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

He played Jump in the right key, on guitar. The synth was wrong. Whose fault that was is up for debate, and is probably :deadhorse: around here.

The trade show appearance was really embarrassing.

I don't think so... Sounds like both the bass and vocals are in the same key as the synth (even though it is sharper than the original recording)... Some have blamed this on the guitar tech tuning the guitar incorrectly.

Eddie is just too stoned to realize...

Because if he was lucid, he could have transposed...

[video:youtube]

I thought we discussed this ad nauseum years ago. It is heavily reported the synth speed was mis-set at 48k rather than 44.1k sample rate.

Yeah, that's the "official" story. The fact is that everyone else is in key...

and all EVH would have to do is pick up the right guitar, or retune up on the fly.

I don't know about you guys, but I have played with hundreds of guitar players who do this when they break strings on stage.

I thought we discussed this ad nauseum years ago. It is heavily reported the synth speed was mis-set at 48k rather than 44.1k sample rate.

Yeah, that's the "official" story. The fact is that everyone else is in key...

and all EVH would have to do is pick up the right guitar, or retune up on the fly.

I don't know about you guys, but I have played with hundreds of guitar players who do this when they break strings on stage.

Plus, look at how he's jumping up and down. Clearly, he's on drugs, there could be no other explanation.

For all we know, Amy has been very capable of performing the majority of her shows, but wheres the news in that? Heres the deal: back then, we didnt have Youtube and camera phones and the instant press. That said, I have plenty of recorded evidence of Jimi sucking, Morrison sucking, Jimmy Page sucking, Tyler suckingand theres LOTS of video evidence of Eddie VanHalen sucking. (He went so far as to sucking at a trade show.where the F were HIS handlers?)

And now Judy gets a pass because her addiction wasnt self-inflicted? Then Elvis get s a break. And Rush Limbaugh and.

Don't even get me started on David Lee Roth at the US Festival. No, seriously. Don't get me started. It will be better for everyone.

:rolleyes:

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

I laughed till I CRIED at the Van Halen clip.

The whole scene is so ridiculous anyway. The guy riding the microphone.....

But the guitar... my god I have never heard anything like this. Can you imagine the price of tickets? And the audience just goes nuts anyway.

It was worth starting this whole thread just to hear that!!!

Keys are 1/2 step high. I don't know why anybody would tune UP live. That said, the bass must have transposed live to match the keys, and Eddie didn't bother for whatever reason - on drugs, didn't care, arrogant enough to say F you guys, I'm playing it right, everybody fix it and adjust to ME, or some combination of all of the above.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I used to think this too, but now I think it is wrong.

Compare the Greensboro performance to these two, from the same tour:

[video:youtube]R2ZA0SksaqU

[video:youtube]tQHSC3Ozqlc

The synth track is in the same key in all performances, and these two are in tune. Therefore, I believe it was an issue with Eddie's guitar.

Thank you for finding these... Common sense leads to the conclusion that EVH was so screwed up that he could not tell the difference that he was playing a 1/2 step flat... but so many "experts" blamed it on the sampling.

Sorry... everyone else is playing in key with the keyboard track.

Archived