Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amy Winehouse

LX88

There is an interesting new phenomenon in the music industry.

Bad publicity sells even more than good publicity.

I don't know how much effort is worth wasting discussing Amy Winehouse. In recent memory I cannot remember someone who was given so much opportunity that has given back so little.

I guess the public will pay to see someone screwing off to this extent so they can fantasize through them.... ( ** "If only I could get away with THAT!" ...** )

Amy's audience had to sing her songs FOR HER in Belgrade. I bet half of them ( at least) could have stood on that stage and delivered an adequate performance.

Why should I be shocked? This is the girl they tried to make go to Rehab....

Oh well, who ever said life was fair???

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you see the video clip? Her management should be fired for allowing her to walk onto a stage in the condition she was in! What a mess! Of course, SHE is ultimately responsible for her own actions, her keepers weren't doing their job either!

Too bad, really!

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjueEI80dng

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

How do make the case that this phenomenon is new?

I think you're failing to acknowledge her former phenomenal talent, which later became a shadow of itself, but still lives in the hearts, minds, and voices of her audiences.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

It indeed does, i feel bad for her, such a great talent, such a great voice and she just threw it all away. You can say whatever you want but i wouldn't like to be in the news as the crackhead who can sing worth of s...
"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Sad to see a great backup band fronted by a real idiot. She makes Milli Vanilli look like choirboys. And the disrespect she showed her audience by waving them off at the end of the song? Small wonder she was booed off the stage.

Sad to see a great backup band fronted by a real idiot. She makes Milli Vanilli look like choirboys. And the disrespect she showed her audience by waving them off at the end of the song? Small wonder she was booed off the stage.

She was way too high to even realize what she was doing. She wouldn't know what is disrespect if it hit her in the face.

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

I guess most of us see music as a vehicle for entertaining people by creating a larger than life persona and implying that its all sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll - while in reality, we all go to bed early on nights off, eat fruit and can't actually play much after two beers anyway......what i'm saying is, its an act right?

....there are other people like Amy Winehouse, Pete Dougherty, Sid Vicious etc that actually believe the illusion and become victims of it.

I believe that people are 'like' that anyway - its in their nature, people don't go off the rails, they were always going to go off the rails.

Dazzathedrummer

Kurzweil SP4-8 | EMU Xboard 61

Logic | Reaper | Ableton Live

Yeah, she's a knucklehead, and she is basically famous for being a knucklehead.

It's a real shame though. Because her first two albums (only albums?) were just phenomenal -- she should be famous for her amazing records, instead of for being a knucklehead.

Drugs and alcohol do terrible things to people. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't need the tabloids to see that -- I've seen plenty of it in my own family and friends. :cry: And hell, in myself for that matter (although I'm free from all that today, thankfully).

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

It probably says more about me (or my relative unfamiliarity with Ms. W) that I cant even tell shes fd up. I just thought it was a particularly bland live performance of questionable quality. Ultimately.who cares.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

How do make the case that this phenomenon is new?

+1. Paganini contributed to rumors that he was in league with the devil. Debussy was more famous in France for a sordid love Triangle than was his music. Even Bach :o was accused of diddling a maid in the church wine cellar during church. :laugh: Yeah, this stuff's been going on for a while.

....there are other people like Amy Winehouse, Pete Doherty, Sid Vicious etc

At least before he went all "lonely at the top" drug taking rockstar, Pete Doherty recorded a legacy of wonderful songs and albums for the public to savour and enjoy for generations.

Oh yeah, he didn't. Got him confused with someone else.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

It probably says more about me (or my relative unfamiliarity with Ms. W) that I cant even tell shes fd up. I just thought it was a particularly bland live performance of questionable quality. Ultimately.who cares.

Hmmm. Well, at this point in time, I don't know if it's possible to listen to her music without the baggage of her pop culture persona. But if you could, listen to "Frank" or "Back to Black". They are both stunningly good records. Great songs, great arrangements, great band, and superb vocals. I don't really know how much credit she gets for the first three things -- records are produced by teams of people -- but surely her credit is greater than zero. And the fourth thing is all her of course.

Obviously she's a pathetic shadow of all that now. It would sure be cool if she ever got cleaned up and started making good music again. Stranger things have happened.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

I have the "big" record, but records are one thing, live is another. So again...I don't know; she could be f'd up, but she's certainly not trashed the level she is notorious for. No, no no.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

So sad to see this, I miss her voice...she is a talent...It has been ~5 years since her last album. I hope she gets her life straightened out someday. She needs better handlers, a new management team and some serious personal help.

I suppose, I have more compassion for her than anger....I will be rooting for her recovery.

Reminds me of a modern day Judy Garland...great voice and a messed up life.

Hope Amy gets help soon and begins to take personal responsibility for her well being.

Kurzweil PC3, NE3-73, Roland RD600, Yamaha ES, QSC10, Motion Sound KT80, JBL EON.

I am "Failing" to acknowledge her FORMER phenomenal talent ???

It's nice to to know I am failing right along with Amy.

You guys are too kind.

To be honest I didn't pay that much attention when she was supposedly phenomenal. Whenever packaging becomes more important than content I am often inclined to look the other way.

I did listen a bit back then, but I didn't give her any more attention than a lot of other people who have had a fraction of the backing that she has had.

Next thing I know someone is going to accuse me of disrespecting the dead.

Did you see the video clip?
How much does THAT gig pay? :laugh:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I am "Failing" to acknowledge her FORMER phenomenal talent ???

It's nice to to know I am failing right along with Amy.

You guys are too kind.

To be honest I didn't pay that much attention when she was supposedly phenomenal. Whenever packaging becomes more important than content I am often inclined to look the other way.

I did listen a bit back then, but I didn't give her any more attention than a lot of other people who have had a fraction of the backing that she has had.

Next thing I know someone is going to accuse me of disrespecting the dead.

Winehouse might not be your cup of tea. That's not a debate I'm interested in having. But I took your point to be that her success was more due to her offstage behavior than her talent. I don't think that's true. She became popular based on her music, before the really sordid behavior started to become public.

She needs better handlers, a new management team and some serious personal help.

Certainly, but it has to start with her. She won't change until she wants to. And that may never happen. No big loss for me - never was a fan. This latest mess just perpetuates what she has become - another pop-star train wreck. But, we as consumers love this. Years from now, when(if) she recovers, she'll come out with a new album and go on the Today show talking about how she overcame her struggles and has a new appreciation for life and music. And we'll all feel great inside about how inspired it makes us feel. What a trooper. Seen it a hundred times.

That's not a debate I'm interested in having. But I took your point to be that her success was more due to her offstage behavior than her talent. I don't think that's true. She became popular based on her music, before the really sordid behavior started to become public.

The very first time I heard her name was in an article that basically said "she's talented, she's screwed up". Musician Amy Winehouse probably reached a nice amount of sales and had a good career. Freakshow Winehouse is a superstar. My mother probably knows who she is just from newspaper coverage.

One thing that Winehouse is not, and probably never has been, is "packaged." The billboard charts are full of artists whose image has been more contrived and calculated than hers.

That's not a debate I'm interested in having. But I took your point to be that her success was more due to her offstage behavior than her talent. I don't think that's true. She became popular based on her music, before the really sordid behavior started to become public.

The very first time I heard her name was in an article that basically said "she's talented, she's screwed up". Musician Amy Winehouse probably reached a nice amount of sales and had a good career. Freakshow Winehouse is a superstar. My mother probably knows who she is just from newspaper coverage.

Well, as a matter of factual inquiry, this is something we can never know. Specifically, how much of her popularity was due to how her music affected people versus lurid curiousity about her personal behavior. I think if you don't care for her music, you'll tend to think it's the latter, because, to you, it couldn't be the former.

Obviously, I'm a fan, and I think she's musically descended from Billie Holiday, who, incidentally, also had some drug problems.

edit: Sadly, I don't think she'll ever pull out of it . . . another Holiday parallel.

She was about to come to Athens the next day and, of course, she cancelled (as she did for the hole of her european tour). It's sad, but if you wanna be the next Janice Joplin you have to be something more than a drunk/junkie - one good CD is not enough, even during this Gaga-era.
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

The billboard charts are full of artists whose image has been more contrived and calculated than hers.

Nothing illustrates this more than the Nickelodeon and Disney Family networks. Occasionally my kids will watch those channels (not if I can help it). They typically have music videos between shows (to advertise bands, sell records, etc...) You can't imagine the dreck that's being pushed. The latest video that's on every 10 minutes has the following chorus "My best friend's brother is the one for me........if you weren't related....." Call me an old man, but I find it inappropriate for the nicktoons channel. Packaged music at its worst.

Obviously, I'm a fan, and I think she's musically descended from Billie Holiday, who, incidentally, also had some drug problems.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Archived