Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Transcription of the Solo from 'In My Life' Anyone?

Bobadohshe

I'm playing a gig with a bunch of Beatles tunes this Saturday. Does anybody have a two hand, accurate transcription of the solo from 'In My Life'? I can do it myself, but it would sure save a lot of time if anybody has it on hand.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, what the hell is that instrument anyway? A ridonkulously compressed piano?

Nevermind, I just wikied it and found out that it's a solo recorded on piano and sped up to double speed.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

I used to play that many moons ago on a cheesy "Sound City" EP and it actually sounded pretty good. It didn't have a half-speed time warp button though. Actually, now that I think about it, I don't know if it would be easier or harder to play at half tempo.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Got it all under the fingers. Don't know if I'm going to memorize it or not though. Man, it's like a French Suite or something. What a brilliant part.

Got it all under the fingers. Don't know if I'm going to memorize it or not though. Man, it's like a French Suite or something. What a brilliant part.

+1 George Martin was the man!

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Wow, I've heard this song many times and never really noticed this before! You guys sure that Paul didn't play this?

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

It was George Martin, I'm positive, so is everybody else. Us old guys do remember a few tid bits about the Beatles.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

by Timwat:

And by that time Paul was dead, wasn't he?

Yep, as a door nail. Just like that old joke. :rolleyes:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I used to play that many moons ago on a cheesy "Sound City" EP and it actually sounded pretty good.

I had one of those I bought new in 1974 . . .

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

I believe it was George Martin playing it on a normal piano at half speed.

This. Listen to it at 1/2 speed. It is clear as day that it's a piano.

It didn't occur to me to do that and I just did. Incredible!

Check It Out

Guess I'm a little late...

For those who still need it:

http://stashbox.org/1113650/In%20my%20life%20%28piano%20solo%29.png

That's it right there. A couple tiny differences from the written out version in the Beatles transcribed scores book, but this is 99% right on. Good job! About as baroque as you can get with all those mordents everywhere. Also love the little split second harmonic jabs that come from a texture like this, like the minor 9th on the 'and' of 3 in measure 2.

Guess I'm a little late...

For those who still need it:

http://stashbox.org/1113650/In%20my%20life%20%28piano%20solo%29.png

That's it right there. A couple tiny differences from the written out version in the Beatles transcribed scores book, but this is 99% right on. Good job! About as baroque as you can get with all those mordents everywhere. Also love the little split second harmonic jabs that come from a texture like this, like the minor 9th on the 'and' of 3 in measure 2.

Yes, very Baroque...he took a page right out of Bach.

Hmmm, I'm curious to know what differences there are from the official transcription; is it the lack of phrase markings?

Hmmm, I'm curious to know what differences there are from the official transcription; is it the lack of phrase markings?

Now that I look at it I see there's only one difference, and that's the first beat of the second ending in the right hand. On the 'and' of the first beat the transcription has a 16th note triplet instead of two 32nds and a 16th. The other things I thought were errors weren't, they we just choices for which hand to put a note in.

I used to play that many moons ago on a cheesy "Sound City" EP and it actually sounded pretty good.

I had one of those I bought new in 1974 . . .

Yup, that's when I got mine... traded in my Rhodes. It may seem ridiculous now, but back then, I needed something I could carry more easily! I never missed it, though. Unlike some other old boards I wish I had, I never fully connected with that one. I'd played other Rhodes that I really enjoyed, but the action on that one was kinda rubbery.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Wow, I've heard this song many times and never really noticed this before! You guys sure that Paul didn't play this?

Anything played well on keys, was generally not played by one of the Beatles.

The song was recorded on 18 October 1965, and was complete except for the instrumental bridge.[12] At that time, Lennon had not decided what instrument to use, but he subsequently asked George Martin to play a piano solo, suggesting "something Baroque-sounding".[2] Martin wrote a Bach-influenced piece that he found he could not play at the song's tempo. On 22 October, the solo was recorded at half-tempo (one octave lower) and tape speed was doubled for the final recording, solving the performance challenge and giving the piano solo a unique, harpsichord-like timbre.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

yeah great little bit of music. I tried for a long time to get this down at the speed on the record, finally did. Now I find out that GM could not play it at speed and it was a recording trick!

So anyway I don;'t do the left hand, but play the solo out of the Beatles fake book which nails it. I never really listened to it close enough to hear the left hand piano part.

Regards,

It didn't occur to me to do that and I just did. Incredible!

Check It Out

Thanks for doing this Bobby, I was just about to do that as I was reading the thread and came across your post. Also, the drums sound really funny at that speed, don't they?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

by Dan S.

Anything played well on keys, was generally not played by one of the Beatles.

Well, maybe anything more technical or classical. Paul wrote a lot of his songs on his piano, although he never had any piano lessons. He did play all the piano parts on Lady Madonna, and other songs. They were not "technical or classical" but needed a "rock" piano technique (whatever that is). Those songs came later on, as did "Hey Jude" which Paul played piano and again was not "technical or classical". ;)

Cheers.

Mike T.

I too had a Sound City EP. A real piece of ****!

Too true. It did have an extraordinarily hot output signal though, so it was useful for cutting through the Marshalls, AMPeg SVTs and double bass Ludwigs that the rest of the band was thrashing on...

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Great stuff in this thread. I had never even considered that solo as something other than a harpsichord. The stuff you learn!

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Archived