Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

Are the Steelers undefeated in Super Bowls?

The Steelers 1 loss was in Super Bowl XXX on January 28, 1996, defeated by the Cowboys 27-17.

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are the Steelers undefeated in Super Bowls?

The Steelers 1 loss was in Super Bowl XXX on January 28, 1996, defeated by the Cowboys 27-17.

I can't believe I forgot that one. That was during the era of NFC dominance of the Superbowl and the Cowboys were overwhelming favorites. The Steelers looked like they might pull off the upset, until O'Donnell was picked off by Larry Brown.

That was the Super Bowl the Steelers won the AFC championship on an extremely bad botched call where Kordell Stewart was given a touchdown reception where he was the first person to touch the ball after going out of bounds. I think the Colts might have beat the Cowboys that year....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

That was the Super Bowl the Steelers won the AFC championship on an extremely bad botched call where Kordell Stewart was given a touchdown reception where he was the first person to touch the ball after going out of bounds. I think the Colts might have beat the Cowboys that year....

I was rooting for Captain Comeback and the Colts that year. Very close game as I recall - the sort of game that could be decided by a referee call.

Too bad the Colts did beat the Cowboys... the following season.

Does anyone have even the slightest interest in the Pro Bowl this weekend?

D*mn. I forgot they moved it to the week before the Super Bowl. Thanks for the reminder. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The Steelers chances of winning the SB took a major hit. Steelers starting center Maurkice Pouncey is not going to play. Not only does he have a high ankle sprain, it was found he has a broken bone in his left ankle too. Pouncey has been great this season, and one of the few stable forces on the Steelers Offensive line. Many of the sportscasters that played football at one time are saying this is a serious blow to the Steelers.

I've been favoring the Packers in this game, and without Pouncey in the game and having to use a backup, I'd say the Packers chances of knocking off the Steelers is a lot better than it was. They were already favored by the bookies.

Crap. :idk

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

It's a shame when such a critical player has to miss a game of this magnitude. It's one thing when injuries happen through the season, but at this point it just totally sucks. The bright side for the Steelers in this is that they have two weeks to work on the center/QB relationship. Better than one week I suppose....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Unfortunate blow for both Pouncey and the Steelers. Still, I don't believe it will give the Packers an extra edge. If anything, the Steelers will be even more motivated to play hard for their injured teammate. It is a shame that after having a great season, Pouncey won't get to play in the SB. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Just a very slight one, in that Philip Rivers and Shaun Phillips will be playing in their first Pro Bowl. Rivers made the roster multiple times, but never played due to injuries. Phillips never made it because he was under Merriman's shadow, despite having the more productive career overall. A third Charger, Kris Dielman, has already been in a Pro Bowl.

I guess my main interest is that none of these three get hurt. I'll probably be up to other activities while the game is on.

Unfortunate blow for both Pouncey and the Steelers. Still, I don't believe it will give the Packers an extra edge. If anything, the Steelers will be even more motivated to play hard for their injured teammate. It is a shame that after having a great season, Pouncey won't get to play in the SB. :cool:

Same here. Tough break to lose your starting center before the Super Bowl.

Yeah, he's had the entire season to get on the same page with Ben, timing is so important between the center and the QB. That could cost us in the SB. It's certainly cause for concern, Green Bay is on a roll and they're ready.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Bud Adams screwed Jeff Fisher. He should have let Fish go when there were still coaching positions available. He would have been great in Cleveland, for instance. Maybe the Dolphins or the Bills will dump their head coach and offer Fish the position. That said, Fish probably needs a vacation after 18 seasons.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

D*mn. I forgot they moved it to the week before the Super Bowl. Thanks for the reminder. :laugh::cool:

I'm probably going to watch it this year, at least some of it. I definitely think having it on this week should boost its ratings. I really don't remember ever sitting down and watching the entire game. Maybe I did 20 years ago. :idk

For me, moving the Pro Bowl to the week before the Super Bowl has had the opposite effect. I'm less interested--particularly this year when no Packers are taking part.

I can't understand why the NFL thought it would be a good idea to showcase its best players during a week in which the NFC and AFC champions would be busy preparing for the Super Bowl and unavailable. Zero players from the two best teams results in an inferior Pro Bowl. Furthermore, the old Pro Bowl date allowed two extra weeks for the rest of the players to recover from injuries, resulting in more starters and fewer alternates taking the field.

Finally, the old date allowed one last chance to watch NFL football during the inevitable post-Super Bowl letdown. Now, we have to go cold turkey.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I think there are pros and cons to the Pro Bowl no matter when they would schedule it.

I finally figured out my issue with it. It's not really NFL football, is it? It's a lite version of the game, from the way they play to the way it's covered. The broadcast has a light and airy feel. Oh look at how much fun there is to be had in Hawaii!. La dee da.

See my previous post about the drama of the NFL and how NFL Films makes the NFL even more dramatic. What drama is there in the Pro Bowl? It's like the best players in the league clowning around.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I wouldn't be surprised if you and antimatter were in the majority; and as Joe said, there are pros and cons no matter what.

I do miss the NFL / AFL league rivalry that evolved into NFC / AFC conference rivalry and made the Pro Bowl a significant game. With each passing year, it becomes a little more like Winter NAMM for football players and sportscasters--a chance to hang out, socialize, network, and talk about the coming year. The only thing missing is gear.

But it doesn't have to be that way. There's still some incentive to make it a game, as the winners get more money. Other incentives could be added too. But the old NFL vs. AFL rivalry isn't even a distant memory for today's players; it's ancient history. Brett Favre was one of the last ones who were even alive during that era, and he'd be lucky to remember his pacifier from back then. ;)

Best,

Geoff

Yeah, I'm watching the Pro Bowl game and it looks eerily similar to the Skins-Eagles game in which Vick put on a clinic. :eek:

Of course, mistakes have led to such a lopsided score moreso than any particular player dominating the game.

As Geoff mentioned, it would be nice if the AFC can score a LOT of TDs in the second half. :laugh:

Despite that it is a watered-down game, I still believe it should be competitive. Even if it is just a matter of exchanging TDs. :D:cool:

PD

AFC cut the deficit to 17 points but it has been steadily hovering around 20 points. Score is 35-55 with less than 2 minutes left to play.

OK, an AFC offensive lineman rumbled into the end zone for a TD. Final score 41-55. :cool:

PD

A footnote: every year, the Pro Bowl gives us West Coast guys the opportunity to experience something that people to the east of us get to do all the time--watch a live, daylight sporting event on TV while it's dark outside, locally.

What an odd experience!

Best,

Geoff

While we're gearing up for the Super Bowl, I'd like to bring up an old point of view with a new argument.

As most of you know, it bugs me that most people ignore great teams and players that existed before the Super Bowl and only focus on the NFL teams and records that are from the Super Bowl era or post-merger.

This year as the Packers get anther shot at the crown, I've been thinking more of the Lombardi era and how great that team was. They don't call the Super Bowl trophy the "Lombardi Trophy" because Vince Lombardi won a paltry two Super Bowls, they named it after him because his teams won the NFL championship five times in a single decade. The final two of those championships--and the first two Super Bowls--were won by a team that was considered to be over-the-hill compared to earlier Packers championship teams of the '60s. The best Packers team ever is generally considered to be the 1962 Packers--a team that never won the Super Bowl (because the contest had yet to be created).

Why save your reverence for teams of the Super Bowl era when the Packers of the early '60s were clearly better than the Packers teams that won the first two Super Bowls? For that matter, why focus on the older Johnny Unitas who played in Super Bowls and ignore the winner of "The Greatest Game Ever Played"--the 1958 NFL Championship Game? Oh, and let's not forget Jim Brown or Deacon Jones, perhaps the two best of all time at their positions.

It's time we looked regularly at the whole of NFL history instead of pretending it started in 1967.

My two shiny, copper Lincolns.

Best,

Geoff

by Geoff Grace:

I just hope the NFC's luck lasts another week: the Packers may be on a roll, but a little luck sure couldn't hurt when facing a team with rings on its fingers.

I was checking out some of the videos on CNNSI today. Phil Simms was talking about the Experience vs Talent angle with the Steelers and the Packers. He mentioned the advantages of having been there before, but he also acknowledged that the Pack is very talented on both sides of the ball. All we can ask for is a good game. :)

Cheers,

Mike T.

Archived