Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

Lets not forget about New England, that would be a BIG mistake. They thought this year was going to be sort of a rebuilding year and they went 14-2. They have a ton of draft picks coming in the next draft, and they already have the makings of another great Patriots team. I don't know how long Brady will last through this process, but he hasn't shown any serious signs of falling off in accuracy or arm strength. I had assumed that the Pats were going to the SB this season, but the Jets had a different idea. That may have been a better SB than the way the Steelers played this year. :cry:

Its time once again to get the Windex out and put some on the crystal ball. :idea:

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think both the Pats and Colts will be tough as nails next year, but for a different reason: both Tom and Peyton know that their windows of dominance are closing at respective ages 34 and 35 next season. They have about three years each of serious contention before they either become role players or go into Favre Mode.

But no crystal ball for me, especially with the labor dispute that will very likely be happening.

Oh yeah, there's never any way to know what lies ahead. I don't think it's wrong to say that the Packers have a bright future, but just how bright that future will be is certainly up for debate.

I've been saying as much about this young group of Packers for at least four years now; and during that period, they've made the playoffs three times, reached the NFC Championship game twice, and won the Super Bowl once. Their only losing season during the last four years was when they dealt with the disruptive transition of trading Brett Favre and breaking in Aaron Rodgers.

I'll be shocked if this Packers cast posts more losing seasons than winning seasons during their tenure; and on the other end of the spectrum, I'll also be shocked if they surpass the Lombardi Packers' record of five championships in a decade.

What I do expect is for this Packers team to--at the very least--continue the winning tradition that began when Brett Favre took the helm. Since then, they've recorded 15 seasons with winning records, just two losing records, and two 8-8 seasons (Source). I'd also be surprised if this new group doesn't return to the Super Bowl again sometime, just as the Brett Favre/Reggie White Packers did.

I don't rule out the Patriots, Colts, or other teams of recent dominance, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Green Bay move into that elite sphere. The oddsmakers have the Packers and the Patriots as the most likely teams to win the Super Bowl next year. Who am I to disagree? ;)

To me, the only red flag around Aaron Rodgers is an already-rich history of concussions. Otherwise, the guy is very bear a perfect QB instrument.

In my view, this is the biggest cloud that hangs over the Packers' future. Rodgers has a new special helmet that may or may not protect him from concussions, and he now seems much more willing to slide when he takes off and runs. But there are no guarantees; and while he may yet eclipse Brett Favre in a number of ways, he's not the iron man that old Brett was--not from the neck up anyway.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

And they even showed John Madden a couple of times, and he loves to say "Brett Favre." :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Did anyone here hear about this?

Fans sue NFL, Cowboys, Jerry Jones over Super Bowl ticket issues

Excerpt:

About 1,250 fans were displaced after some temporary seating sections were not completed in time at Cowboys Stadium on Sunday in Arlington, Texas. Other seating was found for 850 fans, but 400 were forced to watch the game on monitors or use standing-room platforms.

There's been a lot of banter about this on ESPN. Apparently Jones wanted to set an attendance record for Super Bowls.

Best,

Geoff

no crystal ball for me, especially with the labor dispute that will very likely be happening.

Well, this isn't promising:

Sources: NFL-union talks canceled

Excerpt:

NFL owners walked away from the negotiating table Wednesday when the NFL Players Association proposed to take an average of 50 percent of all revenue generated by the league, according to player sources.

Best,

Geoff

Last I'd heard, 'The Fridge' was doing fine with his construction business. Awful turn of events. I hope he can save himself before it's too late.

In other news, the NFLPA could not have been serious about talking if their opening gambit was taking 50% of the revenue on average. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Geez, ya think? Not because I hate the Cowboys and Jerry Jones but because it's inarguably the right thing to do, at a minimum there should be a 10-20 year moratorium on Dallas hosting the game again. As per the article, they are vying to host just five years from now. I think that needs to be negated strongly. Waiting for Goodell to make a statement as such... which won't happen.

I thought that Fridge story was interesting...but kind of demeaning and moralistic in tone, as if Fridge owed us better or something.

Some of that has to do with the default voice of sports-related feature writing, which, time immemorial, has been something you could call that "retarded Jimmy Breslin" thing. Lends itself to false profundity and sanctimonious sh*t. Read Yahoo's baseball writer Jeff Passan sometime for the apotheosis of the retarded Jimmy Breslin thing. Ugh.

I think it all comes from Ring Lardner, actually, who was NOT one of America's great men of letters, with a touch of Mencken and Red Barber. That curt, gritty, poetry of the people style. Now people don't even question that that is how human-interest sports writing should sound.

Anyway, I hope Fridge can do what it takes to secure a future.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I thought that Fridge story was interesting...but kind of demeaning and moralistic in tone, as if Fridge owed us better or something.
Is it that the Fridge owed us something better, or that the people in his life owed him something better, or both?

I saw it as an example of the paradox of the modern American athlete - we don't care so much about you the person as long as your productive, and once you're no longer productive, we don't care about you or your athleticism. No wonder the younger athletes who've been coddled since they were in 5th grade, and told they were the greatest thing since sliced bread all those years, are such tools. No one actually cares about them as individuals, just as athletic marvels.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Is it that the Fridge owed us something better, or that the people in his life owed him something better, or both?

I saw it as an example of the paradox of the modern American athlete - we don't care so much about you the person as long as your productive, and once you're no longer productive, we don't care about you or your athleticism. No wonder the younger athletes who've been coddled since they were in 5th grade, and told they were the greatest thing since sliced bread all those years, are such tools. No one actually cares about them as individuals, just as athletic marvels.

I think this is very true, and perhaps SHOULD have been the thesis of Friend's piece!

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Archived