Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gotta love Aaron Rogers. He was put in a very difficult position and now that he has succeeded in bringing an NFL title back to Green Bay, he's humble. Also, when his receivers dropped passes that he threw right into their hands, he didn't react in a negative way. He was more like "Oh, darn" than "You stupid incompetent as****** son of a....." None of that stuff. Class. :thu:

That was kind of you Mike. Very gracious. :cool:

Mike and Mike brought up an interesting point this morning. If the Eagles hadn't rallied to beat the Giants in that amazing comeback, GB probably wouldn't have made the playoffs at all. GB fought long odds and did everything that they needed to do to capitalize on their opportunities, however implausible.

Very gracious of you as well, Dan. :cool:

As for "what ifs" involving the Packers and the Eagles, what if the Eagles hadn't injured Ryan Grant on the very first game of the season? Green Bay might well have captured their division and not had to overcome so much down the road.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Take that Skip Bayless, who a few weeks ago on ESPN2 First Take proclaimed that Green Bay made a mistake going with Aaron Rodgers over Brett Favre.

Yeah, Robert, there's no way you can call it a mistake now.

That said, there's also no way to know whether or not Brett Favre would have helped them win a Super Bowl either. (But now, we're back to "what ifs.")

As great as Rodgers is and Favre was, the Packers as a team are great in their own right; and they showed how good they are when they almost beat the Patriots without either of those quarterbacks a few weeks ago. Rodgers said as much last night when he revealed it was that game that showed him that Green Bay had the potential to go all the way.

Rodgers is firing on all cylinders, and he'll probably go down as one of the all time greats; but as John Elway showed us, it takes more than a great quarterback to win a Super Bowl.

Best,

Geoff

All in all, the Packers postseason was phenomenal, and Rodgers has inarguably entered the pantheon of great QBs of this era. Interestingly, theres only been one other 6th-seed team to win the Super Bowl... the 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers. But we all knew the seeding was pretty goofy going in, especially in the NFC, so I dont think its very shocking that the Pack, who had massive momentum going into the playoffs, would continue to play as well as they did. It didnt hurt that Rodgers became only the fourth guy in history to have three TDs, 300 yards, and zero picks. Hats off to the Pack for a superb game.

Very kind of you, Jeff. :cool:

Congrats to brother Geoff and the Packer fans! :cool::thu:

Worked out really well for me - in the pool at the Super Bowl party I attended, I came closest to guessing the final score (I picked 31-24), and I had the GB 1, PIT 5 square at the end of the 4th quarter. :D

Thanks, Dave, and congratulations!

Best,

Geoff

So this is what it's like to not have a post Super Bowl letdown from football season being over.

I'm too busy drinking in yesterday's win to go through withdrawals just yet! :cool::):thu:

Enjoy it! It is such a great feeling.

I'm more bummed out today than I was yesterday. My first thought immediately after waking up today was, "Man, the Steelers lost yesterday" :(

There was very little talk of it at work today. No one wants to recount a Super Bowl defeat.

But, in retrospect, the Steelers had a much better season than predicted. Many expected them to go 0-4 and not even have a shot at the playoffs when Ben was out at the beginning of the season. And in the end we made it to the Super Bowl. So, really, I guess I don't have to much too complain about. :)

Thanks, Richie. :cool:

Every fan should get to experience the taste of a championship victory at least once. :thu:

I'm sorry mine had to come at the expense of your Steelers, but at least Steelers fans have been on the winning side more often than the losing side of NFL championships. (They're 6-2, IIRC.) And, like you said, things turned out pretty well, considering the outlook at the beginning of the year.

Best,

Geoff

Here's the current tally (for those who remember that the NFL existed before 1966):

Most World Championships

Green Bay Packers, 13

Chicago Bears, 9

New York Giants, 7

Pittsburgh Steelers, 6

Dallas Cowboys, 5

San Francisco 49ers, 5

Washington Redskins, 5

Cleveland Browns, 4

Detroit Lions, 4

Indianapolis/Baltimore Colts, 4

Best,

Geoff

And here's the current tally (for those who like to pretend that the NFL began in 1966):

Most Super Bowl Victories

Pittsburgh Steelers, 6

Dallas Cowboys, 5

San Francisco 49ers, 5

Green Bay Packers, 4

New England Patriots, 3

New York Giants, 3

Oakland/LA Raiders, 3

Washington Redskins, 3

Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts, 2

Denver Broncos, 2

Miami Dolphins, 2

Best,

Geoff

I mentioned out loud the moment Woodson hit the ground and then held his arm in that all-too-familiar way, "He just broke his damn collarbone," which I don't think was reported until after the game.

Yeah, when they get up supporting the dead weight of the arm in the other hand, fractured clavicle is a pretty safe bet.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Best comment I heard on sports radio today:

"Aaron Rodgers just put a bow on what was the worst year of Brett Favre's life."

Classic :thu:

Witty.

Yeah, as a fan of Brett Favre, I long wanted a recap of the John Elway happy ending. But looking back, Favre's story arc is the opposite of Elway's hard road to finishing as a champion.

Unlike Elway, Favre had everything early on--the Super Bowl victory, three MVPs in a row, and public adulation. He finished this year with a mixture of admiration and scorn and a tarnished legacy. I don't think he deserves the outright hatred that some people have for him; but I acknowledge that he was in control of every decision and action he made, and many of those were poor choices. Good or bad, he made his own bed.

Best,

Geoff

I don't know why I thought he and GB won more Super Bowls. I guess it was those other great years he/they didn't go all the way. That's too bad, as good as he was.

I saw that Packers management are open to Favre returning to the organization. I think that's a good thing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-superbowl-packers-favre

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Rodgers has cemented his role as the leader of the Pack.

So, for the organization to embrace Favre on some level all things considered is a classy move on their part.

The Green Bay fans get to bask in another championship, a leader with a ring and potentially, an ambassador (Favre) who will be a first ballot Hall of Famer for his body of work with the team.

The next several months will be dry for football fans like myself. But, the draft and training camp aren't that far away. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I wouldn't crown Rogers King just yet. One SB win does not mean a guaranteed HOF career. Even Rogers acknowledged that teams change every year and so many things can happen. No matter how we think an NFL team is the greatest ever, even the best team can falter and then fail. How about the 85 Bears? What about last year's New Orleans Saints?

Being that the Packers have a very young team, they have a great chance to win more Super Bowls. But the only guarantees in life are taxes and death, in that order. And then MORE taxes. :mad:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

For once I agree with Mike! :D

I'm sure many thought Favre would have won several rings after his early success. Rodgers is a smart man if he knows more rings is going to be tough.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I wouldn't crown Rogers King just yet. One SB win does not mean a guaranteed HOF career.

Of course that's true. But while it's too early to crown him king, it's a great time to acknowledge this:

All-Time Career QB Ratings Leaders

1. Aaron Rodgers (27) 98.4 2005-2010 gnb

2. Philip Rivers (29) 97.2 2004-2010 sdg

3. Steve Young+ 96.8 1985-1999 2TM

4. Tony Romo (30) 95.5 2004-2010 dal

5. Tom Brady (33) 95.2 2000-2010 nwe

6. Peyton Manning (34) 94.9 1998-2010 clt

7. Kurt Warner 93.7 1998-2009 3TM

8. Ben Roethlisberger (28) 92.5 2004-2010 pit

9. Joe Montana+ 92.3 1979-1994 2TM

10. Drew Brees (31) 91.7 2001-2010 2TM

by Joe Muscara:

For once I agree with Mike! :D

I think I've just been insulted. :D

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I wouldn't crown Rogers King just yet. One SB win does not mean a guaranteed HOF career.

Of course that's true. But while it's too early to crown him king, it's a great time to acknowledge this:

All-Time Career QB Ratings Leaders

1. Aaron Rodgers (27) 98.4 2005-2010 gnb

2. Philip Rivers (29) 97.2 2004-2010 sdg

3. Steve Young+ 96.8 1985-1999 2TM

4. Tony Romo (30) 95.5 2004-2010 dal

5. Tom Brady (33) 95.2 2000-2010 nwe

6. Peyton Manning (34) 94.9 1998-2010 clt

7. Kurt Warner 93.7 1998-2009 3TM

8. Ben Roethlisberger (28) 92.5 2004-2010 pit

9. Joe Montana+ 92.3 1979-1994 2TM

10. Drew Brees (31) 91.7 2001-2010 2TM

Basically, all QBs of the last 30 years and primarily QBs of the last decade. I'd expect that as QBs get more and more rules changed in their favor, those numbers will keep going up.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Here's the current tally (for those who remember that the NFL existed before 1966):

Most World Championships

Green Bay Packers, 13

Chicago Bears, 9

New York Giants, 7

Pittsburgh Steelers, 6

Dallas Cowboys, 5

San Francisco 49ers, 5

Washington Redskins, 5

Cleveland Browns, 4

Detroit Lions, 4

Indianapolis/Baltimore Colts, 4

Best,

Geoff

The Oiler, Bills, Raiders, Chiefs/Texans, and Chargers have AFL championships. :D

Best comment I heard on sports radio today:

"Aaron Rodgers just put a bow on what was the worst year of Brett Favre's life."

:D Hilarious!

Jeff - thanks for the TMKCB all year. It's been a great addition to the thread! :thu:

Definitely. Always looked forward to reading the TMKCB. Hope brotha Jeff will bring it back next year. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Glad you all dug it! Yes, I see no reason it can't return for next season (provided there's no work stoppage).

Here's a stat to keep in mind for next year's Raiders/Packers Super Bowl XLVI (provided there's no work stoppage): teams that return an interception for a touchdown in the Super Bowl are 11-0. :idea:

This article about Paul Hornung is from last month, but it's still of interest because he talks about the future outlook for this Packers team. Excerpt:

The 75-year-old Hornung is picking his old team -- naturally -- to beat the Steelers by a field goal and thinks this could be the start of a dynasty similar to the one he helped the team build in the 1960s, when coach Vince Lombardi led Green Bay to five NFL titles and victories in the first two Super Bowls.

Hornung pointed to the large number of injuries Green Bay had this season as proof even better days are ahead. The Packers placed 16 players on injured reserve during the season. When those players are healthy, watch out.

More here:

Paul Hornung picks Pack, talks Favre

Best,

Geoff

I'm not saying anything either way because I can't predict the future, but I've heard that before. "Wait until they're all healthy." Sometimes, having to work around injuries makes everyone else try harder, or sometimes there's better chemistry or something that makes it work. I'm not saying the Packers won't be successful in the future. But sometimes having challenges and overcoming obstacles is what drives a team to win.

Not knowing for sure is what makes this fun, right? :)

Archived