Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

I am absolutely loving the Pats' draft so far.

Pair of Gators at LB, addressing both inside and outside. Big-time upside WR, probably grooming to replace Randy next year. The best punter available (needed one bad, seriously). Two stud TE's. Would have been nice to grab a RB, but I think there was solid value with every choice.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NFL draft outdrew the NBA Playoffs on Thursday.

The NFL draft pulled in 7.2 million viewers.

The highest rated NBA playoff game this season was on network TV: Sunday's Lakers/OKC Game pulled in 5.1 million viewers. Wednesday's BobCats/Magic game pulled in under 2.1 million viewers.

Waiting to see the head-to-head ratings on the NFL 6/7th round and the NBA playoffs.

Viewers who prefer watching paint dry? Unknown.

He'll start there, no doubt.

I feel bad for Jason Campbell. As a Skins fan, I'm not overly sad to see him go, but he really was a consummate professional in DC despite very challenging circumstances and repeated slights by the team's brass.

I hope he does well in Oakland.

Noah

The NFL draft outdrew the NBA Playoffs on Thursday.

The NFL draft pulled in 7.2 million viewers.

The highest rated NBA playoff game this season was on network TV: Sunday's Lakers/OKC Game pulled in 5.1 million viewers. Wednesday's BobCats/Magic game pulled in under 2.1 million viewers.

Waiting to see the head-to-head ratings on the NFL 6/7th round and the NBA playoffs.

Viewers who prefer watching paint dry? Unknown.

Lots of people eat at McDonalds too. Smart people who eat at McDonalds? Unknown.

I didn't immediately think BB had a major effect on the 2010 draft but it makes some sense.

Otherwise, I just figured owners weren't trying to over-spend on QBs considering the ROI of previous 1st round busts, er, choices. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

My Chargers picked up a big nose tackle prospect after all, as well as depth replacements at LB and QB, and another safety to push or possibly unseat incumbent starter Ellison. I'm concerned about all the picks that were given up to trade up for Mathews, the LB, and the NT, but I feel better overall.

• 2 weeks later...
That means Russell has been paid more than $5 million per win, more than $2 million per touchdown pass and more than $100,000 per completion.

The NFL really needs to get the NBA rookie contract structure together. 3 year guaranteed contracts for 1st rounders, with about a $3 million cap for the first pick in the draft. If the guy's a bust, he makes $9 mil, and a team's only out $9 mil....

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Totally agree that NFL rookie contracts should be similar to the NBA.

Make them show and prove prior to giving up a Russell-Leaf i.e. ridiculous money to a bust.

The real travesty will be when another team signs Bussell as a back-up. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Redskins reportedly chasing Brian Westbrook (despite already having Clinton Portis, Willie Parker, and Larry Johnson under contract).

Apparently, the Skins are hoping to acquire the best collection of RBs in the NFL.......if it were 2006.

As every fantasy football geek can tell you: Old running backs BLOW. Why doesn't the Skins' brass seem to understand this immutable law?

Those who don't learn from the past are destined to repeat it.

Noah

Redskins reportedly chasing Brian Westbrook (despite already having Clinton Portis, Willie Parker, and Larry Johnson under contract).

Apparently, the Skins are hoping to acquire the best collection of RBs in the NFL.......if it were 2006.

As every fantasy football geek can tell you: Old running backs BLOW. Why doesn't the Skins' brass seem to understand this immutable law?

Those who don't learn from the past are destined to repeat it.

Noah

When I heard this BS the other day, I looked at the roster.

Parker is set to get paid like the starting RB. Portis is scheduled to receive almost half that amount. Not sure about LJ's dough.

I agree, Westbrook would have been a great acquisition...back in 2006. Now, he is potentially one hit away from standing on the sidelines with his helmet under arm or on the bench trying to recite a nursery rhyme.

When the team released the veterans of last year, I thought they were turning a corner. I didn't think they were heading for the other wing of the infirmary or the lost and found. :rolleyes:

As these acquisitions and talks take place, I'm trying to wait and see how they look in the pre-season and final roster. The news reports certainly do not give me a feeling that the Skins have a sense of direction. :cool:

PD

What do you guys think of the Cushing story? They played bits of his press conference on the local news last night and I agree that it sounded pretty ridiculous. He claims he thinks he must have a tumor because he didn't inject nor ingest the substance. :freak:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7004517.html

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'm surprised the team didn't 'prepare' Cushing for that press conference. For the coach and team owner sit through it and leave without comment was pretty bad. :cool:

PD

I agree with you guys about a rookie cap, makes total sense!

Russell, well at the 'new' price, I could see a team taking a stab at a one year contract with weight and workout clauses. Put him on your 3rd string and see if that arm ever gets a head to match.

Cushing... Under the impression he has a tumor inside of him??!!! The cancer card?! Are you serious dude?

TROLL . . . ish.

• 2 weeks later...
You have to be shitting me...

New York Awarded 2014 Super Bowl

I can think of 50 reasons as to why this is a bad idea.

Suddenly a SB indoors in Indy looks a whole lot better to a whole lotta folks...

That said, there's a lot of unique things that can be brought to the table at the new Giants/Jets stadium, and like the NY/NJ folks said, there's no way to control what facility the conference championship games are played in. It very well could be worse weather for both those games...

Temperatures in NY/NJ in February can be brutal. I wouldn't be going unless someone gave me free tickets, spending money, parking money, free hotel room, and a hot wench for company. Being that will never happen, I will be among the missing at that SB.

Remember the ICE Bowl NFL Championship game between Dallas and the Packers? It was NOT a good football game. Kicking the football was like kicking a deflated tire, players couldn't handle the ball, everyone was spending more time trying to keep warm enough to avoid frost bite. Not very interesting way to spend a day.

SB should be either indoors or in a warm climate so we get a good game.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

While I don't plan to attend the 2014 SB, I'm predicting that it wlll not snow and/or be too cold on that particular Sunday. :D:cool:

PD

Vegas probably has published odds on the weather for that Super Bowl.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Probably. :D

Another thought: you don't want to give a weather disadvantage in a championship game to a team that's not used to playing in cold weather. Having it inside or in a warm climate city at least provides some neutrality in that regard.

I kinda like the idea.. Certainly adds some intrigue to the game.. You've got to think about teams, players, conditions, just like a regular game.

And just think, if the game ends up with snow, think about that Tuck-rule game with the Raiders.. The most beautiful "looking" game I've ever seen!

TROLL . . . ish.

I agree with Jeff Klopmeyer on this one Meccajay. I believe the Super Bowl should be on a neutral field. Now it is true that in poor weather BOTH teams have to play in the same conditions, but could you imagine San Diego or Miami trying to play Green Bay in the Super Bowl? Take a wild guess at who would have the advantage, not to mention the better cheese. :D

Mike T.

Yeah, but what if it were two warm climate teams that went to the Super Bowl?

I feel that the weather is always part of the game of football. Snow, rain, mud, cold, hot, anything except stuff that's truly dangerous (lighting, tornadoes, etc.) makes it all the more interesting.

I do understand why some may feel having the weather potentially be a factor can be a bad idea as it can inhibit fans for a number of reasons, but as far as the game is concerned, I don't have a problem with that at all. In fact, I encourage it. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yeah, the Colts/Bears SB shows you can have shitty weather for a game anywhere. If you can't play football outside in the snow and crap, you don't deserve to be in the pros...

Archived