Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

It is so weird to see Mike Shanahan get the QB that the Bears rejected to take his previous starting QB. I doubt Campbell has much to worry about but we'll see.

Hmmm...this is another system Campbell has to learn. He hasn't spent more than 2 years with the same coaching staff. So, it really depends on how well he digests the latest playbook.

OTOH, Grossman already knows the system having spent time in Houston. If he is still in shape and has refined his skills, training camp could be interesting. :cool:

Shanahan's offense shares the same roots with the offense that Zorn and Sherman Lewis ran in the previous regime - the Bill Walsh/West Coast Offense. At the very least, the terminology will be unchanged. So, Campbell's learning curve this time around should be minimal.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gov, I'm not sure Thorny Zorn and Sherm Stick Lewis were running the West Coast offense according to Walsh's progeny. :laugh:

But, I hope you're right in that Campbell will only have to learn a new terminology and not the real version of the West Coast offense.

Otherwise, I want to see some quality O-lineman brought to Redskins Park and a few DBs too.

Despite the pass happy NFL, we need a 2015 version of the "hogs" protecting the QB and allowing that ground game to be productive. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

PLAYOFF OVERTIME RULE CHANGED... FINALLY!

Team owners vote 28-4 to change the sudden-death format in the playoffs. The team that gets the ball to start overtime must score a touchdown to win, or the other team gets a possession.

That was NOT expected. :)

Lame. If that's the way it's going to head, get rid of the field goal entirely. Seriously. If the field goal is allowed during the game, there should be nothing special about overtime, and if you're a damned professional, sudden death is the only way to go.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Yeah, they made the wrong tweak as far as I'm concerned. They should have just moved the kickoff back to where it was before 1994 -- when the statistical odds were more equal.

Best,

Geoff

Interestingly, it seems in the last couple of years that kickers' legs are starting to catch up to the distance change. I don't have any hard numbers to back up my assertion, but it seems like we're seeing more touchbacks these days, and more kickoffs going toward the back of the end zone, certainly over the front of the end zone.

Looks like the trade rumors of the Eagles trading McNabb are heating up:

Clonk Here

I understand it from a financial perspective and having a promising young QB on the roster.

Still, despite the appearance of McNabb choking in big games, I've always felt the Eagles were (2) weapons short on offense.

At first they had a mediocre WR corps. Once they acquired a Pro Bowl-caliber WR, their RB started getting hurt.

Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see how the Eagles shore up with draft picks and what Kolb or Vick can do with the team if/when McNabb leaves. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Still, despite the appearance of McNabb choking in big games, I've always felt the Eagles were (2) weapons short on offense.

Regardless of whether or not that's true (and I don't think it is), I firmly believe that McNabb does not have the ability to win the big game. Seen him choke waaaay too many times. Bad throws, bad decisions, bad clock management...you name it.

I say trade him.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I could see a lot of teams taking a good look at McNabb. I read that some teams interested are being very private as to not cause a ruckus with their present QBs. Take the renegade Jets; they need to sell more PSLs plus they get to stick it to the Giants. Sure it puts Sanchez on the bench, but they're running on the edge with Ryan at the helm. Could be any number of teams looking for a changup at QB.

The Vikings make a lot of sense but the wait for Favre might be too long of a delay.

The Vikings make a lot of sense but the wait for Favre might be too long of a delay.

As a Vikings fan, I'd take Donovan over Brett in a NY minute.

He's younger, less fragile, more mobile, and doesn't call audibles to himself 90% of the time.

I'll concede three of those four but less fragile? Favre hasn't missed a game due to injury in, like, forever.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I've read a rumor of McNabb going to Oakland instead, due to Jamarcus weighing in at 290lbs.

I'd take that gladly, actually. Anything to get Russell out of there.... :rolleyes:

Got a link?

dB

I think you just got dB excited there Governor....

I've read a rumor of McNabb going to Oakland instead, due to Jamarcus weighing in at 290lbs.

I'd take that gladly, actually. Anything to get Russell out of there.... :rolleyes:

Got a link?

dB

It sounds like Russell is a hamburger short of getting himself out of there.

I'm still amazed by how little that guy has done in comparison to what he has stolen, er, made in the NFL.

Oakland would benefit from having McNabb. I'm not so sure that his career will be prolonged there. :cool:

PD

Got a link?

dB

DB,

I first read about it on digg.com. This is just one site, others showed up in Google search:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2010/03/27/jamarcus-russell-weighed-290-recently-that-would-explain-a-lot/

OTOH, this was posted 3 hours ago - Raiders talking to Vikes about Rosenfels:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/370349-more-evidence-the-raiders-dont-expect-to-land-mcnabb

Well my thoughts on the whole McNabb thing is I figure any deal is going to have to get his approval at some level. I mean he's got to sign a mid-long term deal with whatever team involved for the deal to complete. That said, I don't see Donovan in Oakland or Buffalo. I mean, a QB of Donovan's stature finishing his career in Buffalo? Don't see it.. The Raiders are closer, but not a SB contender just yet with or without him.

I could see Minny, but the vibe I'm getting is just like last year, Favre is going to wait until camp's over, then grab a helmet and play. At this point why not just say "I'll play, but I don't want to go to camp". I don't know, maybe that voids his contract or something so he has to leave it unsaid.

As far as Philly is concerned, I'm of the school of thought that says, McNabb carried this team on his shoulders for like 10 years with little to no offensive help. Sure he's choked, but in a a way, so did Elway until had the right mix of offensive ballers late in his career. Simply put, he by far the greatest QB the franchise has ever had, and last year was one of his best years. I'm my mind you keep a guy like that around. On the other hand even Steve Young and Joe Montana got traded, so nobody's immune. Also, I don't see the Eagles D as nearly the force they used to be, so maybe the change is best for all. As usual, I hate these situations cause I never quite know how I feel!

TROLL . . . ish.

Somehow it would be fitting he stay in Philly and continue probably one of the weirdest relationships ever between a QB and the fan base. If he does stay, he'll probably get booed at the home opener because management decided not to trade him.

I thought Philly needed size on the lines after the Cowboys smacked them around. Somehow the Eagles matched up well against the Giants, but really looked small and over-matched against the boys.

The first trade rumour I saw on http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/ was McNabb and Asante Samuel would go to Oakland, and cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha would go to Philadelphia.

As an Oakland and Philly fan, I could live with that. :thu:

Gahhhhhh. You had me right up until it meant losing Asomugha.

I thought Philly needed size on the lines after the Cowboys smacked them around. Somehow the Eagles matched up well against the Giants, but really looked small and over-matched against the boys.

Exactly.. What does trading Donovan have to do with the real questions the Eagles have right now..

The #1 issue is, the Cowboys have taken over the division due to matchup problems across the line of scrimmage. What is the motivation to trade Donovan?

TROLL . . . ish.

And despite all of this chatter, the Raiders are claiming this morning that they "haven't even spoken with the Eagles about McNabb."

I read an article with several very good points as to why it would be crazy for Oakland to take McNabb. And since we're talking about Al Davis, I'm expecting it to happen any moment now. :D

Archived