Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am very happy with the NYG signing Antrel Rolle. That's an impact pickup. And I hope they're not done.

Nice score! :thu: Dansby would have been nice but Parcells gave him a bundle. Looks like David Carr might wind up with the Browns, a possible starting role for him. I hope he gets the chance.

Looks like David Carr might wind up with the Browns, a possible starting role for him. I hope he gets the chance.

Me too. I'll miss him, though. I always felt pretty good about our backup situation when he was around. Someone's gonna pick up Del Homme for cheap, which could be an interesting scenario...I mean, does any else remember when that guy was, like, really good?

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Wow! Denver is paying Jamal Williams $7 million to jump to the dark side (sorry, Geoff!). Yes, he's been an Pro Bowl NT in recent years, but that is a lot of money for a 34 year old who missed 15 games in 2009.

I'm neutral about the Cardinals' interest in Charlie Whitehurst. He has the size of Philip Rivers, but with much greater mobility. He has no pass attempts in the NFL regular season, but does have a TD run, on a bootleg in which his pure speed got him outside and into the end zone. OTOH, as a 4th year pro, he hasn't been picking up on things as fast as the backups/former backups of certain other teams. I'd welcome the 3rd round pick from the Cards for Charlie: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/15289/the-book-on-charlie-whitehurst

Looks like David Carr might wind up with the Browns, a possible starting role for him. I hope he gets the chance.

Me too. I'll miss him, though. I always felt pretty good about our backup situation when he was around. Someone's gonna pick up Del Homme for cheap, which could be an interesting scenario...I mean, does any else remember when that guy was, like, really good?

Yeah, looks like daddy Holmgren is makin' the room for someone like Del Homme.. I see where even Brady Quinn is now on the market?!

TROLL . . . ish.

Delhomme might end up pulling a Curt Warner. A lot of people have him written off as washed up, but he might rebloom with a new team. Hard to tell with a guy like that who indeed had some great years (and isn't too old to have a few more).

Looks like the Browns did end up signing Delhomme today..

With that move and with Holmgren having already installed Seneca Wallace as a back-up, the only thing left to say is Brady Quinn, tick-tock..tick-tock.

TROLL . . . ish.

Looks like the Browns did end up signing Delhomme today..

With that move and with Holmgren having already installed Seneca Wallace as a back-up, the only thing left to say is Brady Quinn, tick-tock..tick-tock.

I hope Delhomme can redeem himself from the INT prone past 2 seasons. No disrespect to Browns fans but I hope this isn't that nail in the career coffin stop. :laugh:

Otherwise, I think Quinn owes a huge debt of gratitude to ND for providing him with an opportunity to get rich having done little or nothing as a pro.

For some reason, I believe this could be Leinart's last season if he doesn't show up in AZ. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Re: Quinn and Leinart - as Klop noted earlier, sometimes it's just a matter of chemistry. A QB that goes nowhere with one team can excel with another.

Of course, then you have cases like JaMarcus Russell, who I don't believe could do well on any team in the NFL.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Re: Quinn and Leinart - as Klop noted earlier, sometimes it's just a matter of chemistry. A QB that goes nowhere with one team can excel with another.

dB

Well if things take a turn for the worse, then there's going to be a slot available in a little town in western PA in a few months.

Not that Quinn, Leinart or Russell could fill it, but I bet certain GM's have wheels turning that normally wouldn't be this time of year.

TROLL . . . ish.

Quinn to Denver--should get a chance to see what he's got there. I just can't judge anybody by what they produce in Cleveland.

Leinart, on the other hand, has already shown an inability to drive a freaking Rolls Royce.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I guess this whole thing was about future salary cap seasons, when the cap comes back,

I agree it's about the future cap. Thomas Jones got a big payday (for a 32-year-old) from KC - an amount no doubt the Jets were unwilling to pay.

Charger backup QB Whitehurst reportedly received offers from Arizona and Seattle. A move to AZ would deliver a 3rd round pick to the Chargers. Seattle has no 3rd round pick, but is willing to trade the equivalent value, whether it be a player or something else. I think Whitehurst would give Leinert fits in QB competition - he has more physical upside.

Salary cap and the emergence of Greene signaled the end for Jones in NY. The tandem of Greene and LT could be interesting.

Quinn to Denver--should get a chance to see what he's got there. I just can't judge anybody by what they produce in Cleveland.

I guess Delhomme has to take his chances if he still wants to play. :laugh:

Maybe McDaniels thinks he can do something with Quinn. If he becomes a star in Denver, I would be surprised. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Johnson to the Skins.

Does Portis have anything to worry about? Frankly, I think he's toast. He didn't work last year and Betts kicked his ass.

Two RBs seemed to be standard fare nowadays.

Hopefully, Portis and Johnson still want to play and we can get a decent 1-2 punch out of them. :cool:

PD

Johnson to the Skins.

Does Portis have anything to worry about? Frankly, I think he's toast. He didn't work last year and Betts kicked his ass.

IMO, both are at the end of their careers, so it won't matter.

Shanahan's offense though can squeeze production out of just about any group of RBs, thanks to the zone blocking w/ cut-blocks that it favors.. The two could be productive as part of a committee, which Shanahan seems to favor.

Just when I thought the Skins were planning to spend wisely in free agency, they go and sign Rex Grossman. :rolleyes:

I knew they wanted a veteran, back-up QB. Of course, this cat has ties (Texans) to the new O-coordinator. Here we go.... :cool:

PD

Johnson to the Skins.

Two RBs seemed to be standard fare nowadays.

Hopefully, Portis and Johnson still want to play and we can get a decent 1-2 punch out of them. :cool:

Johnson? Who, Larry Johnson?

I haven't seen or heard anything about this.

TROLL . . . ish.

AZ signs Derek Anderson. Whitehurst wants to sign with Seattle. It'll be interesting to see what trade gets worked out between Seattle and SD:

I'm pumped about this. Kind of like getting something for nothing in my opinion.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

AZ signs Derek Anderson. Whitehurst wants to sign with Seattle. It'll be interesting to see what trade gets worked out between Seattle and SD:

I'm pumped about this. Kind of like getting something for nothing in my opinion.

Me too, brother. Seattle sure gave up a lot for a 3rd string backup QB with no regular season passes (1 TD run though). But of course as Charger fans, we'll take it!

In summary for the non-Charger fans:

Seattle gets QB Charlie Whitehurst

Chargers get: #40 overall draft pick for 2010 (Seattle's spot in the 2nd round - an improvement of 20 spots), Seattle's 3rd round pick for 2011.

This might not be over. Word is teams are inquiring about the Chargers' top 4 free agents despite the steep tenders (1st and 3rd round picks) put on them.

Just when I thought the Skins were planning to spend wisely in free agency, they go and sign Rex Grossman. :rolleyes:

I knew they wanted a veteran, back-up QB. Of course, this cat has ties (Texans) to the new O-coordinator. Here we go.... :cool:

It is so weird to see Mike Shanahan get the QB that the Bears rejected to take his previous starting QB. I doubt Campbell has much to worry about but we'll see.

It is so weird to see Mike Shanahan get the QB that the Bears rejected to take his previous starting QB. I doubt Campbell has much to worry about but we'll see.

Hmmm...this is another system Campbell has to learn. He hasn't spent more than 2 years with the same coaching staff. So, it really depends on how well he digests the latest playbook.

OTOH, Grossman already knows the system having spent time in Houston. If he is still in shape and has refined his skills, training camp could be interesting. :cool:

PD

Archived