Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Shameless plugs sub forum?

Dave Bryce

Shameless plugs sub forum?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Shameless plugs sub forum?

It has been suggested that perhaps it'd be a cool thing to have a "Shameless Promotions" sub forum where regular contributing forum members can post their CDs for sale, upcoming gigs, videos....in general, just be be able to get fully spammy for the purposes of promoting their own music. It'd be just like the Classifieds sub forum.

The main potential drawback I see is that there would be folks who might argue that they should be able to promote their products as well...e.g. if they design a software synth, for example, or write program banks or do demo vids of keyboards...because that's what they make, not records, and they are contributing forum members.

Thoughts?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a good idea to me! It seems that people don't really pay much attention to the Let's Hear It thread or the CD thread, since everything is linear and hard to pick through; having separate topics on a threaded board should definitely increase attention to one's particular song/gig/etc.

Regarding product promotion, I can't say I have a very strong opinion about it either way.

Doesn't really matter to me one way or the other,but... I usually check the other two threads whenever they show up on the first page or two so if someone posts it in there, I see it. I don't know that you need two threads about cd releases or promo. I think the other threads are good enough for this type thing. I gotta hand it to db, though. You sure look after all of us and our needs/wants for this place. You do a great job of it and I thank you for it. I mean that.

I'm not real good about reviewing the Let's Hear It thread, but I usually take a look at anyone's Shameless Plug. I'm also getting into the habit of looking at the Classifieds, though when I go to sell stuff (which will be soon) I thought I might post a "heads up" to direct readers to my listing, if that's cool. Whatever y'all want to do is what I'll abide by. I'm just glad this place exists.

There's something else I'd like to suggest as long as we're kicking things around. Many of us have day gigs in completely other fields. I'm new to the day gig thing, but I've already been able to help a forum member with critical info from my job. We've been PM-ing for a while, and have begun phone conversations. Maybe we could have a Day Gig Help Desk sticky where a member could offer his or her assistance in a non-music situation.

Ditto Linwood re: dB. You make this place rock.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

To me, the main risk is that very few people would actually look at it with some regularity. Also, hordes of newbies who never contribute to the forum, coming just to promote their music or other products. I see nothing wrong with the present arrangement.

That said, if a longtime member starts a thread about his new CD and explains a few things about it, I see nothing wrong with it. I know I've done it in the past - although I used those threads for reflections about my current musical and personal state.

I'm not going to vote; I trust dB on taking the right decision.

I usually check the other two threads whenever they show up on the first page or two so if someone posts it in there, I see it. I don't know that you need two threads about cd releases or promo. I think the other threads are good enough for this type thing.

+1

I agree with what Marino said.

I don't see what's wrong w/ a "lifetime" member to start a thread about his new cd, etc. But, how do you police it? What constitutes a "lifetime" member?

I know that there are some forums that require some sort of payment or stipulations to use the classifieds, etc. Something to ponder?

I really like this forum and DB does a great job with it. I'm pretty sure he'll make the right decision too.

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

To me, the main risk is that very few people would actually look at it with some regularity. Also, hordes of newbies who never contribute to the forum, coming just to promote their music or other products. I see nothing wrong with the present arrangement.

That said, if a longtime member starts a thread about his new CD and explains a few things about it, I see nothing wrong with it.

I completely agree with Carlo (well, at least the part I quoted). Btw, I'll be performing at the Jon Lovitz Comedy Club in Universal City (citywalk) on Monday, February 22nd. Hope to see you all there! Try the veal, and be sure to tip your waitress.

I like the idea.

I also think it would be OK for people to promote software/products/sounds, if they are a contributing member. I almost suggested the caveat that they not work for a major company (like Roland, Yamaha, Korg, Kurz, etc.) But then I started thinking - if they want the ability to promote here, that may encourage them to be regular contributors, which would be a good thing. So then the only question becomes "what's a regular contributor". Could come up with some basic guidlines for minimum posts, no longer than x time since the last post (so they don't only post once a year when they have new products). Just a thought.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Would you consider a sub-sub in there?

"Kanker Comes To:"

:D

Sounds good to me ;)

I think the garage sale sub forum gets a lot of traffic, and the rules there seem to be followed the vast majority of the time. I'd say that anything related to the spirit of the forum or of value from a regular contributor, ie CDs, sample libraries, softsynths, (ahem....) books that have to do with music technology (....cough) should be allowed. I would even submit that if someone were to produce something even peripherally related, for example if steadyb were to release a comedy CD, that it be allowed. We'd have the main forum to discuss keyboards other things that are generally on topic, the garage sale to get rid of gear, and another sub forum to allow us to promote ourselves as creative people. I think the regulars are all generally interested in the projects, performances, and productions that we're all involved in, but it would allow us to keep that clutter out of the main forum.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I almost suggested the caveat that they not work for a major company (like Roland, Yamaha, Korg, Kurz, etc.) But then I started thinking - if they want the ability to promote here, that may encourage them to be regular contributors, which would be a good thing. So then the only question becomes "what's a regular contributor". Could come up with some basic guidlines for minimum posts, no longer than x time since the last post (so they don't only post once a year when they have new products). Just a thought.
I actually kinda agree that even allowing product introduction threads from manufacturers could be allowed in a limited sense in a sub forum like the one we are discussing. That said, that path may be a bit too controversial for some, I don't know.

+1 on both of Kevin's posts - and I join the crowd that appreciate db and the forums.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I wonder if it would draw too many one post wonder promo threads. It could also invite spammers so I'm on the fence. I like the sense of community this place has and I'd hate to see it get watered down as a free ad space for folks who don't contribute otherwise.

I vote "no". The CD promo sticky is already a brilliant quick reference. The entire thread is a pretty quick read. I don't understand why anyone would worry about getting lost on it.
"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Looking at the whole thing again, I might get rid of the "Key Threads" folder and separate those threads into stickies. I don't know that I'd think to go into Key Threads to find someone's music.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I've voiced my opinion to dB previously, but I wanted to address some concerns mentioned here.

1. Like Garage Sale, you should have to be a regular contributing member, so no one post hit and runs would be allowed. This would the negative of being extra work for the mods to delete. We've had that happen in Garage Sale a bit. What defines "regular contributing member"? I have no idea. Ask dB. :D I'm sure one post doesn't cut it.

2. One of the problems with the the single thread model that is currently being used is stuff does get lost. Say you're away for a while and come back, but don't check every thread because there are too many. You might then miss that your favorite Italian Jazz player or MI-based jazz organ trio has something new, because someone else released something after that. Or, for those new to the forum, it's a lot harder to go thru that thread to see what's out there. I know that I haven't read what's been in there longer than I've been active. With a sub forum, you'd be able to see a list of what's been going on/released/plugged recently in a hopefully easy to scan list.

At least, that's the way I see it.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

2. One of the problems with the the single thread model that is currently being used is stuff does get lost. Say you're away for a while and come back, but don't check every thread because there are too many. You might then miss that your favorite Italian Jazz player or MI-based jazz organ trio has something new, because someone else released something after that.

Theoretically, you're correct. In practice, people make it their own responsibility to check out their favorite artists. We're bombarded with access already. Just check a sig.

As it is, there are no rules against starting a thread about another forum member's work.

..just the way I see it, though. And I've got nothing to sell.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

I'm all for it. I keep telling myself that I'm going to follow the "Let's Hear It" thread more, but I don't. Why? Because it's hard to see what's new in a single thread. A full sub-forum with threads will fit my browsing style much better. YMMV.

And the others are right -- we don't say this enough:

dB, you rule. Truly.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

I'll agree with Carlo as well. I say leave it as is...

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

As others have said, I think the danger of the sub-forum is lack of footfall (or should that be eyefall?).

However, it is true that threads like "Let's Hear It" become absolute behemoths and they soon sink out of sight if contributions are spaced more than a few days apart.

How about this? A few key threads stickied to the top but instead of leaving them there forever and them getting huge, at the end of the month either delete them or archive them TO a sub-forum. So you could have threads like: "Let's hear it: February", "Gigs: February" etc.

Doesn't The Other Place do this with gear acquisitions quite successfully? As long as we don't have a "Hai Guyz" thread, please...

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

I do not have a problem with self-promotion from regular members in the main forum but I can see the benefit in having a one stop shop i.e. sub forum too.

I really don't have to add to the chorus of folks praising dB's efforts but I'd be remiss if I didn't. This place rocks. That dude is the primary reason it does. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Sooner or later b, I'm gonna be in LA, and I'ma gonna give you a good slap. :laugh:;)

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

How about this? A few key threads stickied to the top but instead of leaving them there forever and them getting huge, at the end of the month either delete them or archive them TO a sub-forum. So you could have threads like: "Let's hear it: February", "Gigs: February" etc.
I don't know about everybody else, but I basically ignore the stickies as repositories of links I may need once a year. I think a sub forum is a much more effective idea.

I tend to go right past the stuff at the top of the forum (READ ME and Key Threads) and go straight for threads with a yellow folder icon.

OTOH, I keep an eye on the Garage Sale sub forum and check it whenever it seems there is something new up there.

As others have said, I think the danger of the sub-forum is lack of footfall

Let's not get on another rant about why American football is so much better than that game you folks play over there. :rolleyes::laugh:

No. Let's don't.

:poke:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived