Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NAMM 2010: Roland V Combo VR-700

funkphingerz88

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow! I love my VR-760 -- wonder if Roland has added provision for a separate organ output this time? I don't see a lot of the control knobs from the 760 -- and no mention of it accepting expansion boards. Want to know more!

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

It looks like they put drawbars on the RD300.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Might tick the boxes for some, but it looks bulkier and heavier than the SV-1/73, which has a weighted keybed and only three less notes, and a LOT heavier and bulkier than the NE3, which is kind of where most of us would be going for easy portable organ solution, I suspect. Kind of falls between those two stools. Of course you get proper drawbars, but again, if you're that picky about those I imagine you'd be heading for an XK1 or 3c.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Expansion??? No other product in the space (Nord, SV-1) this seems to be in has expansion, AFAIK.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

But the Nord you can swap out the samples, Joe. I guess that's what Rich was referring to.
That crossed my mind. But are we certain this isn't programmable or upgradable as the Nord is, and we know the Korg has some programmability if not more?

BTW, to me, expansion means what you can do to the RD by adding a board or whatever.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

It really sounds like a board for organists who play a bit of piano rather than the other way around. There are some -

It does have Patch Remain though - very nice.

The term "Supreme Piano" sounds vaguely familiar :confused: but I can't ID the board that Roland has used that term on previously. But that's where the piano for this new board probably originated.

It really sounds like a board for organists who play a bit of piano rather than the other way around. There are some -

That's a great description of my initial impressions of the board as well.

Aesthetically, it doesn't appeal to me compared to the sv-1 or even the nord stage. I think the nord stage compact is probably the closest in comparisons because it has the ability to "split/layer/link" per the manual.

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

From the website:

Essential ensemble sounds (with tone remain function) onboard, including 88-key multi-sampled pianos, EP, strings, brass, synth pads, and more

Doesn't sound promising for EPs or clav. To me those are much more "essential" sounds than strings or brass. This seems to me more like a good solution for good basic piano and organ. If everything else, like Rhodes, clav, and Wurlie, are relegated to the "and more" category, I wouldn't get my hopes up on sound quality. I also see nothing in the way of effects except for reverb.

I don't think my Electro needs to worry about being replaced yet.

I didn´t undesrtand the efects section yet... just one knob? how do you select between the effects?

Looks the same as what clavia did with the electro 3... stripped down the real time controls...

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

I wonder if they made the same mistake they made with the VR-760...not providing a way to route the organ signal and piano signal separately. The output jacks look the same as the 760's...two 1/4" and two XLR's.

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

I've owned a VR-760 for years and still like it. There were other options which were probably stronger Hammond emulations (Korg, Nord, Hammond) but I was trying to satisfy two requirements at once:

- an organ clone with waterfall keys and real drawbars

- a 76 key controller (with pressure sensitivity) to drive external modules. I have lots of splits in a typical song that are spread across the VR-760 and my S90-ES. I rarely have to do a program change during a song.

I never intended to play much piano or e-piano on it, but I'm glad they are as a backup in case my S90-ES goes south.

This new board seems to be along the same lines but has obviously scaled back the "synth" section (which allowed SRX boards)

The main improvements I see are:

- ability to play more than one organ sound (via splits, pedal board, midi, etc.). This is a pretty significant improvement.

- a new (hopefully better) Leslie sim (which was not the best on the VR-760)

- more flexibility and convenience in setting up splits and layers.

- a much better piano (which I wouldn't play from this keyboard)

- some nice performance touches like (the rotary button by the mod lever and the extra red drawbar)

Hopefully, they have also allowed the organ to be routed just to the XLR...we'll see.

Having said all that, it wouldn't be worth me upgrading. If I was starting from scratch with the same requirements (organ clone and 76 key requirements), I would consider it.

Sam

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Ok, seriously...are you freaking kidding me? Roland has offered NOTHING new in this keyboard. They are all the old generation sounds.

The "acclaimed" tone wheel technology? Ha! Acclaimed means, "We haven't updated it in years." The organ sounds terrible in the video demo! The VK-8 came out at least 5 years ago. In that time, Nord and Hammond have both lapped Roland's sound.

And the Rhodes sound? It doesn't even sound as good as the old SRX-12 expansion card!

I am not a hater by any means...but this is nothing but Roland looking at what Nord and, more recently, Korg has done and just slapping a bunch of old things together and calling it new.

My band Thousand Houses: www.thousandhouses.com

I'm guessing you are right on the VK8. They do make a point of saying the Leslie is new so i'm sure they would have done the same on the organ engine. Roland has always been pretty notorious for excessive recycling of technology.

Regarding the crappy organ sound on the video: I thought the first section was fine (not earth shattering but sounded like the VK8) But there is a segment about 3/4 the way through where they are going through the rhythm patterns and they hit rock and there is this really cheesy organ sound that I don't think you could coax out of a VK8....I was assuming it was just a bad sample from the general midi sound set. In any case, if they are trying to sell this as a clonewheel, they should edit that out.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

honestly "I Don't Get It" i never got roland's vr series, its a compromise for the one that don't wanna compromise between piano and organ, and i dont think they can pull it off sonically and esthetically, the nord electro is qwirky and red enough to pull it off, anyway...

i did like the VP-7 its giving me that what you call, GAS?....

Two part message: I wrote the first half at the airport yesterday, prior to heading out to NAMM, but couldn't get the message to post. As a former VR-760 owner, I was intrigued, but...

I checked out the specs listed on the Roland website: No mention of expansion card slots, nor separate outs. Functionally - without expansion cards - that makes it less versatile than the VR-760. It does have some new, performance oriented features; and it likely has improved sounds. Since the VR-760 is a bit rare, this could be a good opportunity for those looking for this type of keyboard. Then again, with the competition offering lots of features, they may be better off looking elsewhere (the Nord Stage compact has separate outs, and simple, but programmable MIDI control features, over one channel...).

From the description and specs, I'm quite underwhelmed;though I'll still check it out, sound-wise, when I stop by Roland today.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Archived