Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NAMM 2010: Roland V Combo VR-700

funkphingerz88

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new V-Combo was ok. I actually liked the organ sound and the immediacy of the interface, but the keyboard action is not the same as the older V-Combo. Not sure if it was just the NAMM floor model, but it was not nearly as robust or pummel-worthy.

Some pics from NAMM

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs293.ash1/22061_1335211988416_1474562130_30976540_8204339_n.jpg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs293.ash1/22061_1335212108419_1474562130_30976541_5520063_n.jpg

The new V-Combo was ok. I actually liked the organ sound and the immediacy of the interface, but the keyboard action is not the same as the older V-Combo. Not sure if it was just the NAMM floor model, but it was not nearly as robust or pummel-worthy.

That's too bad as the action on the VR-760 is one it's best features. I was afraid of that when I didn't see the "yellowed" keys that the VR-760 had.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Played it at NAMM yesterday.

The organ sounds decent, and unlike the NORD, it's very nice having drawbars right there. But....

The action is obnoxious. Even on organ I was totally stoked, but playing the PIANO from that action was horrible. The piano itself sounded quite good but was seriously unplayable with that light pseudo waterfall action.

Eh, I like the Nord organ sound better.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I find it odd that the Organ was one of the weakest sounds in one of the "better" videos. Even the video with Jordan sounded like crap IMO. He can play, but what a shitty organ tone!

I also agree about the expansions. WHERE is the ARX stuff for EPs? Why isn't the Supernatural brass in there if this is supposed to be a gig machine? What is NEW in this machine? The Piano sounds good, but that's it!

It's too bad, Roland HAS the technology to wipe up the competition but they are greedy with the packaging.

This is where you put your gear list that no one reads anyway!

• 3 months later...

I messed around with a VR-700 the other night at the music store. I was underwhelmed. The interface seems less than intuitive, the Wurlitzer sound was not great, the organ sound was not that great, and, yes, the board is ugly. I didn't spend a TON of time on it, as it was closing time, and I had to leave. But I don't think this board brings anything new, and I'll be surprised if Roland sells a lot of them.

IMO, YMMY, of course.

Stuff and things.

To me, the biggest step backwards from the VR-760 to the VR-700 is the lack of aftertouch on the keyboard.

A question mark for me is whether they have improved the on-board bass sounds. I felt the VR-760 didn't have very good bass sounds for left hand bass playing. The other big problem was the architecture meant that, if you picked bass for left hand, the only sounds you could choose for the right were the pianos and organs. It looks like the 700 is much more flexible in its split/layering capabilities.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived