Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recomend some great albums featuring clavinet.

kong

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steely Dan Royal Scam Kid Charlamain (sp) - I think it's Joe Sample playing Clav - love it.

Whatever it takes by Larry Goldings - a cover of Boogie On Reggae Women that he plays great Clav on - a rhythm part but killer - that track has two great solos on it first by Jos Redman then David Sanborn - I tell you I couldn't imagine trying to solo after those two but Larry nails a killer B3 solo - I spent weeks learning it a few years ago.

Blue Wind - Jeff Beck - I foget the name of the track - might be Sophie - but there is a killer clav intro to a tune - I forget who plays keys - sorry - I know it's not Hammer - but I don't think Max Middleton plays on Blue Wind.

That's a somewhat tall order, as clav is generally played along with other instruments, not just by itself song after song.

But besides the obvious funk stuff, it appears in progressive rock too.

Listen to "Tank" from the first ELP album, and listen to Gentle Giant - plenty of clav in Free Hand, Octopus and some of those albums.

Moe

---

I'd start with the following:

Herbie Hancock, Headhunters

Stevie Wonder: Talking Book, Innervisions

Billy Preston: Outta Space, Space Race

Graham Central Station: The Jam

Commodores: Any early records.

Medeski, Martin & Wood: Any record.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Well its hard to find a whole Album of Clav, but some cool fusion funk from the 70's Like Tony Williams Lifetime with Alan Pasqua, or some George Duke for sure. But Herbie Handcock Headhunters is always on the list.

All favs of mine !!

Marc

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke.

- My original music projects: http://www.myspace.com/marcpaley

Jeff Becks "Blow by Blow" Max Middleton plays some killer clav on that album (great rhodes too) if you never heard it give a listen. I went out and bought a Hohner D 6 soon after listning to this one.

Love that Chaka Khan/Rufus video. Great grove. Chaka Khan is one hot chic. What can i say, she does it for me.....

All great recommendations above.

Since no album is predominantly clav driven I'll recommend individual tracks instead:

Stevie Wonder (The clav master):

Shoo Be Do Be Doo Da Day

Love Having You Around

Happier Than The Morning Sun

Girl Blue

Keep On Running

Superstition

Maybe Your Baby

Big Brother

I Believe (When I Fall In Love)

Higher Ground

Jesus Children Of America

Heaven Is 10 Zillion Light Years Away

You Haven't Done Nothin'

Love's In Need Of Love Today

Steely Dan

Night By Night

Kid Charlemagne

The Fez

Green Earrings

Black Cow

Peg

I Got The News

Led Zeppelin:

Trampled Underfoot

In The Light

Custard Pie

Bob Marley

I Shot The Sheriff

Concrete Jungle

Could You Be Loved

Bill Withers Use Me

Rolling Stones Heartbreaker (Doo Do Do Do Do)

Commodores Machine Gun

Earth, Wind & Fire Serpentine Fire

And this guy

[video:youtube]

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Great list, Ian! I'd add Soulive and any good funk/r&b band from the 70s to that list as well. A great example is the band Confunkshun:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Ky8tqHfZM

There are YouTube videos of them doing it live as well.

THe problem with a lot of clav from that period is that, because of its tonal similarity to the electric guitar, clav was often used to rhythmically counterpoint or double the guitar parts to thicken the funk. That can make it hard to separate out. Here's an example, an one of the funkiest things ever recorded IMO:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buk1Mc37FX8

BTW - Before you kill yourself trying to figure out the clav "part" on Superstition I suggest watching this:

There are up to 8 separate clav parts on that tune! I wish I'd known that 25 years ago. :freak:

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Some sick stuff above.

Boy does it make me want to play a REAL clav which I've never done :(

Oh man, NOTHING like it. The action begs you to play rhythmically. Once you play the real deal, no other action even remotely comes close.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

There are up to 8 separate clav parts on that tune! I wish I'd known that 25 years ago. :freak:

I think there are two parts, but 8 tracks (copies with different eq, delay, etc.).

From the examples provided I'd say more than two but some doubling wouldn't be a surprise.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Really agrees with that,

The bending of the notes depending on how hard you strike the keys, very special. Add that wah pedal and you are in funk heaven.

I'ts also probably the noisiest keyboard of them all.

The scarbee clavinet is the closest I've played to the real deal.

Fred

Some sick stuff above.

Boy does it make me want to play a REAL clav which I've never done :(

Oh man, NOTHING like it. The action begs you to play rhythmically. Once you play the real deal, no other action even remotely comes close.

Archived