Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg SV-1 Review

Moon Zero Two

Nice job Mr Brislin!

Couple of comments - I would have included lack of a flat top as a CON - I am sure the board looks stunning but I would have traded looks for the ability to place a second keyboard on top of the SV1.

Second - am I to understand that there is only a single set of Rhodes samples? Personally I would have traded the synth brass or even the organ sounds for multiple Rhodes sample sets ala the Nord Stage series - the Mark I, Mark II and Mark V samples all sound different to me in the Nord and I liked having the variety.

Third - suprised you didn't mention the amount of rom in the instrument - I believe I have seen it listed as 512 meg - that is a lot by current standards - I would have loved to have seen the breakdown by instrument family - like the piano is 150 meg, Rhodes is 10 meg etc. Just the geek in me I suppose.

Fourth - Korg gets big points from me for not having an external adaptor - I left my Casio adapter at home and had a hard time matching one at a local radio shack for a gig last week.

Anyway nice review. Good job.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do the piano note samples decay a little too quickly after their initial attack or not? It sort of sounded like it in the demos I heard when single note lines were played by the right hand.

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Nice job Mr Brislin!

Couple of comments - I would have included lack of a flat top as a CON - I am sure the board looks stunning but I would have traded looks for the ability to place a second keyboard on top of the SV1.

Second - am I to understand that there is only a single set of Rhodes samples? Personally I would have traded the synth brass or even the organ sounds for multiple Rhodes sample sets ala the Nord Stage series - the Mark I, Mark II and Mark V samples all sound different to me in the Nord and I liked having the variety.

I read the review and also had a chance to play the 73-note version for about 45 minutes. What really struck me about the SV-1 73 is how small it is. WHICH IS GREAT. But if you were to make a flat top version it would have to be significantly deeper in order to act as a shelf for another keyboard. The keys on a full-size action synth are 6" plus whatever for the case and controls. That would take away from the portability for sure. I love the idea of not having to carry and setup multi-tier stands, but I think I love the portability of the SV-1 more.

The Rhodes, and I believe the Wurly as well, are seven velocity layers. They are likely the largest instruments in ROM. You would probably have to give up a lot more than what you mentioned in order to get additional EPs with the same level of detail.

Busch.

Second - am I to understand that there is only a single set of Rhodes samples?

A real Rhodes only has one Rhodes "sample"! ;)

What I mean is: one really good Rhodes emulation (this thing has 7 layers) might get you just about any Rhodes tone you like, assuming the controls, EQ and effects are good and flexible enough. That remains to be seen.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I believe the original poster is referring to a review in print. The next issue of Keyboard Mag has a review by Tom Brislin and it must be arriving in mailboxes as we speak.

I'm looking forward to reading it and loving the amount of GAS this piece of gear has induced for everyone in this thread and the other mega thread!

Regards,

Eric

Yep, he's talking about Keyboard mag.

I haven't gotten that far in the latest issue.

I was curious as to why all the pictures of Tori Amos were in "poseur" mode, and none of her gear?

For a second I thought I was reading Cosmo.....

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I was curious as to why all the pictures of Tori Amos were in "poseur" mode, and none of her gear?

For a second I thought I was reading Cosmo.....

yeah my 5 year old boy said "you're not reading about keyboards that's a girl magazine!" Between the DP ad on the back & the cover I guess it looks that way a little.

One thing about the way those controls are angled on the SV-1 is that on the bottom of a two keyboard setup they would all be visible & easy to access.

Yamaha P22 Upright / Nord Stage 2 SW73

yeah my 5 year old boy said "you're not reading about keyboards that's a girl magazine!" Between the DP ad on the back & the cover I guess it looks that way a little.

Yeah, I noticed the same thing.

"Oh look, Beyoncés "band" lip syncs to Digital Performer...."

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Interesting day yesterday. I get my first Keyboard Mag of my new subscription with review of the SV-1 and while I was in Seattle a local music store had just un-packed an SV-1 88 and I was able to try one in person.

Very nice. I've currently got a 73 on order and I'm gassing more than ever now.

Interesting day yesterday. I get my first Keyboard Mag of my new subscription with review of the SV-1 and while I was in Seattle a local music store had just un-packed an SV-1 88 and I was able to try one in person.

Very nice. I've currently got a 73 on order and I'm gassing more than ever now.

Keys, which store?

Busch.

How did it sound to you, Busch, compared with other keyboards in piano and electric piano sounds?

As far as the EPs and APs, it sounds as good or better than anything else out there in hardware land, but I can't see it replacing my soft synths live (Scarbee and Ivory). My opinion is pretty superficial at this point and I need to spend more time with it (I don't trust 45 minute music store run through conclusions - I like to work with something for days at the very least). I've got a 73 on order. I love the size. The action works for me and the immediacy of the controls is great. I don't think I've ever played a digital instrument cold where all of the controls responded exactly as I expected they should as well as they do on the SV-1. There really is no learning curve.

It's going to make a lot of sense as the bottom keyboard for a lot of people.

Busch.

Just had the following phone conversation with my local Guitar Center:

Me: Hi, I was wondering if you guys had the new Korg SV-1?

13-Year-Old Guitar Center Employee: Uh, let me see... S... V... 1... Nope, doesn't look like it. Uhhh... what is it?

Me: It's Korg's new stage piano.

Him: Oh. Then, uh, we probably won't have it? See, the thing with the Korg stuff is blah blah blah blah blah...

Me: Oka...

Him: ... talk talk talk...

Me: All ri...

Him: ... words words words...

Me (loudly): Yeah, I don't care about the why, that tells me all I need to know, thank you.

Him: ... yammer yammer yammer uh, sir?

Me: [click]

Made me feel better about taking a chance and ordering it, rather than waiting around until they had one and then possibly having to (*shudder*) buy it from that guy.

[Off-topic rant: Is there an official medical term for the neurological defect shared by people who, once they've given you the single, simple piece of information you wanted, then feel compelled to subject you to the minutiae of the reasons behind it rather than letting you get on with your life? It's like the waitress who isn't content with simply saying "I'm sorry your food took so long," but then goes on to start rattling off a laundry list of excuses that you couldn't care less about, when all you want is for her to put the damn plate down and leave so you can finally eat.]

At any rate, mine should be here tomorrow, and unless I just hate it right out of the box (which would surprise me greatly), I'll be putting it through the paces on three or four gigs over the weekend. Will return with a field report after that.

FunkKeysStuff, I don't know if there's a neurological term for it, but in the biz, we call it "Selling past the close..." ;)

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

I audutioned the 88 key today at the Bellevue American Music but only for about 20 minutes. It was connected to a pair of Genelec monitors. To state the obvious, they have hit a home run in regard to size, weight and user friendliness. As for the more subjective stuff - the action felt fine but I'm not as fussy about that as many forum members are. I focused only on the Acoustic, Rhodes and Wurlitzer emulations and have to say that while the basic samples sound as good as a lot of their competition I was a little underwhelmed. One thing I was put off by was an uneditable underlying distortion to the EP's which I assume is courtesy of the glowing tube. There may be a way around this that eluded me in my brief time with it but when you turn the drive control down the corresponding reduction in output is so severe that the master volume cannot compensate for it. For players who want a clean sound (think Donny Hathaway on the Wurli or Uri Caine on Rhodes) they will be frustrated. Some dirt is nice but I want to be able to choose when I have it. I found the effects section quite unconvincing and while this is nitpicking I found the control panel, while very simple, a bit cluttered. That said, for gigging players that don't have EP/AP's covered in their current rigs though the SV-1 makes perfect sense. I already have access to the sounds I mentioned that are at least as good as the SV-1 so while I had raised the fundage I will probably not be getting one which is not to say the SV-1 sounds weak. It's reasonably good and I suspect they will sell a lot of them. I will try it out again when I have more time and who knows?
Fender Rhodes (x4) / Wurlitzer 200A / NE3 61 / Motif XS6 / Korg SV-1 73

Archived