Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg SV-1 Review

Moon Zero Two

I thought the jazz organ was good for live, it cuts, I saw Tom Coster live playing Korg organ sounds years ago at NAMM, and Korg always had very good synth strings. The Rhodes chords sound nice, seems jumpy though, agressive, almost unpredictable.

Piano good presence, hard agressive hammer sound, should "cut" it live.

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This keyboard intrigues me. The only deal breaker is the organ and the lack of flexibility. I play so much organ I need something that is more clone like but would enjoy having the rest of the sounds from this unit.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Busch, thanks for the clarification, as all the M3 references led me to believe it would be balanced hammer action.

I can't wait to have a go at this keyboard! I can definitely see an SV-1/PC3X combo as a perfect gigging pair, but until trying the SV-1, it's an open question which one (if not both) would slot in as the main 88-key weighted action board (quite likely the SV-1, as the other sounds would do well by a quality semi-weighted vs. crappy synth-action bed).

Maybe it's a good thing I had multiple financial crises this year. A PC3 is still top of the agenda (after a much-needed new computer to replace my almost-dead G4 PPC iMac), but I may end up being happy with the 73-key version after all, if the SV-1's graded action feels more natural for the piano-oriented playing than the 88-key balanced hammer action PC3X (an excellent keybed, no doubt, and the VMK188plus that I just sold, was a bit deceiving as it only had four equal-weighted zones that differed from each other but not within their respective ranges).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Mark - I bought RedKey's PC361 for my top board and have been completely satisfied. Having the BC input on the Kurz (as they've always had) makes the VL770m very convenient on gigs. Haven't even begun to scratch surface with Kurz's editor to explore real programming - just built some layered Setups and threw some QA banks of favorites together.

Been thinking a SV-1 / PC361 rig as bottom/top might work well.

Cool! Glad to know my VL70m is still proving useful to you at gigs. :-)

Also, I had forgotten that Kurzweil still supports BC input.

Don't forget that the Virtual Instruments magazine founder (it's now strictly an on-line forum as the magazine is dead), is very close now to finishing his new breath controller, which looks to be 400% to 1000% more responsive and ergonomic than the BC3a.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Was quoted a price today of $1595 for the 73-key. That's doable. Now I just need to find one to test drive.

Heh..... see how that works fellas? lol

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Been thinking a SV-1 / PC361 rig as bottom/top might work well.

Sounds like a killer gig rig! :thu:

BTW, the VAST editor is very deep, bet once you figure out your way around it, it's soooo rewarding. There's hardly a sound you can't recreate with this thing.

Don't forget that the Virtual Instruments magazine founder (it's now strictly an on-line forum as the magazine is dead), is very close now to finishing his new breath controller, which looks to be 400% to 1000% more responsive and ergonomic than the BC3a.

Please, tell me more!!!! I've been thinking about a BC and VL770m to start getting expressive synth leads and more realistic brass patches going. By more ergonomic, do you mean less dorky looking, or am I still to expect to look more geeky than the axe-synth and keyboard tie dudes?

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Ian, it's been discussed before but you know how the forum search feature is.

The easiest thing might be to go to vi-control.net, as the topic was revived recently and is near the top of the Samples sub-forum at that site.

• 4 months later...

Sorry if I'm digging up a dead thread, but I didn't want to needless create a new thread if an old one already existed!

Had a quick play on an SV-1 today (late bloomer I know!), I gotta say I personally love the action. The rise is a little bit slow but there's a really nice "worn-in" feeling. However this could be an issue for others.

It's a bit pricey though and an extra 300 from the electro 3. I generally prefer the sounds from the electro 3 but I think the rhodes sound on the Korg SV-1 is pretty hard to beat.

So for a quick play, here's my first quick impressions:

Loved:

-The action!

-The rhodes sound (very fat in the bottom end, and really seemed to capture the idiosyncrasies quite well. Lots of yummy details!) The effects were quite decent as well.

-Clav and wurly was quite good, thick and fat but maybe people may find the velocity curves a bit too abrupt, but apparently you can tweak them. That said I don't think the sounds blow the electro or stage out of the water.

-Looks very cool. Doesn't weigh too much.

Disliked:

-The action! yes it's fantastic for some of the EPs and the acoustic pianos, but lacklustre for clav and organ. It just isn't responsive enough (the keys aren't waterfall as well)

-Organ. I don't think I need to say more. It's mediocre, think intermediate ROMPler.

I think the overall "vibe" of the keyboard is great, it's quite inspiring to play and definitely in terms of its visual personality it beats the Nord boards. I think the act of twiddling the knobs (which feel great by the way) and the whole retro vibe just give the keyboard a fantastic aura.

It really "feels" and "looks" like a retro keyboard and I think it's a very fair point to make! Because when you compare it to the electro or the nord stage, they look very sleek and futuristic and the aesthetics dont match the sound. I'd say as an overall keyboard playing "experience" (whatever that's worth ;) we're probably all pragmatists around here) the SV-1 beats the nords hands down.

However, I think that the sounds and functionality on the SV-1 leave a bit to be desired, and my first impression is that I think the Nord Electro 3 is a little bit better value for money (at least in Australia) and is more versatile (in most respects, more so if you compare the SV-1 with the Stage EX). But really it's comparing apples to oragnes, put simply the nord electro caters more to organists whilst the SV1 is weighted (forgive the pun) towards piano players.

But don't get me wrong, it has a fantastic vibe, great sounds and I would definitely consider adding it to my keyboard arsenal as a bottom board.

Nord Electro 3 -73 || Korg CX-3

I'm planning a full gear upgrade this summer and have been considering the SV-1. Took an SV-1 73 for a little test drive at the local House Of Guitars about a month ago and really liked the action. Don't remember which ac piano patch I was using(I'm assuming it was probably the upright), but I thought it sounded good. There is another local mom and pop music store that will be getting them in soon. Can't wait. I want to test it alongside a Yamaha S70XS.

Hmmm... I can envision the SV-1 73 sitting underneath my Korg CX3. "Holy blatant product advertising, Batman!!"

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

I've tried very hard to like the SV-1 but I think it's now losing the battle. I spoke with a Korg rep just to be sure there was no way to edit the Hammond sounds via software or create a new patch like an EP/string layer (seems like if you could have an AP/string you should be able to make an EP/strings patch but no dice). The software is a basic effects/amp/patch editor with no control over the fundamental tones. I'd like more control over the Hammond organs (the ability to recreate your fav drawbar settings and save as a "favorite" would be sweet) and be able to split/layer sounds. Korg says the way the processor is being used eliminates that kind of user control.

I love the action and the alure of the cute little 73 note version is tempting but this keyboard is just not quite there for me. Think I'll wait on either the price to drop or for Korg to release an SV-2.

Last weekI spent about 2 hours on the SV1-73 and the S-70XS. No contest. I think the SV is cute and fun, but it's not a well-rounded package like the S70 is. It's just that I hate the display on the Yamaha. I'd be blind in a week.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Last weekI spent about 2 hours on the SV1-73 and the S-70XS. No contest. I think the SV is cute and fun, but it's not a well-rounded package like the S70 is. It's just that I hate the display on the Yamaha. I'd be blind in a week.

Just curious as to what was meant by "no contest". I know the S70XS has a wider palette of sounds, but how did the acoustic pianos compare with ones from the SV-1??

For the record, I could care less about the organ sounds. I have a more than capable clone in the CX3 to cover that :thu:

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

I mean that you get sooo much more value for money with the S70XS. No contest. I like the Korg though, but not at that price.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I spoke with a Korg rep just to be sure there was no way to edit the Hammond sounds via software or create a new patch like an EP/string layer (seems like if you could have an AP/string you should be able to make an EP/strings patch but no dice). The software is a basic effects/amp/patch editor with no control over the fundamental tones. I'd like more control over the Hammond organs (the ability to recreate your fav drawbar settings and save as a "favorite" would be sweet) and be able to split/layer sounds. Korg says the way the processor is being used eliminates that kind of user control.

I don't understand how someone at Korg would say "the way the processor was being used" as a reason for not doing something. It doesn't make sense.

Asking about drawbar control for a product that is sampled, and does not have each drawbar sampled is the a problem. The technology is not designed that way, just like an M3 can't do that, nor can a Motif or a Fantom. I'm not arguing or really making excuses, just trying to clarify for your understanding.

As for an EP/Strings layer, WE can make that for you. We're working on our third bank of expansion Programs and will be making more. So we can expand/support it as needed. True, we are doing it for you, you can't program your own splits or layers, but it can be done by us.

So you are fundamentally right that it is not programmable at the osc/filter/amp/LFO-type level. But that is true of many stage pianos.

Anyway - I'm just trying to help by answering with clarity when I think I can. And the processor is certainly not an issue - choices of design might be.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

I think the price of the SV-1 has to drop. With the huge marketing blitz Korg conducted, I can't imagine it's selling as well as they'd hoped, and they'll have to drop the price just to salvage it. That's just my theory. I paid full price for it. I like the keyboard alot. But I also feel like I drastically overpaid. I also own an S70XS and it is indeed "no contest" as far as value (esp since I got a deal on the XS). But, as I posted a couple days ago in another thread, the SV-1 works nicely for me for solo piano or jazz combo gigs, portability and (to a much lesser extent) style being highly valued there, and a decent piano sound all that's really required. Also, if I get back into the retro funk thing, the SV-1/Electro 3 combo is a pretty hard to beat rig for that.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I spoke with a Korg rep just to be sure there was no way to edit the Hammond sounds via software or create a new patch like an EP/string layer (seems like if you could have an AP/string you should be able to make an EP/strings patch but no dice). The software is a basic effects/amp/patch editor with no control over the fundamental tones. I'd like more control over the Hammond organs (the ability to recreate your fav drawbar settings and save as a "favorite" would be sweet) and be able to split/layer sounds. Korg says the way the processor is being used eliminates that kind of user control.

I don't understand how someone at Korg would say "the way the processor was being used" as a reason for not doing something. It doesn't make sense.

Asking about drawbar control for a product that is sampled, and does not have each drawbar sampled is the a problem. The technology is not designed that way, just like an M3 can't do that, nor can a Motif or a Fantom. I'm not arguing or really making excuses, just trying to clarify for your understanding.

As for an EP/Strings layer, WE can make that for you. We're working on our third bank of expansion Programs and will be making more. So we can expand/support it as needed. True, we are doing it for you, you can't program your own splits or layers, but it can be done by us.

So you are fundamentally right that it is not programmable at the osc/filter/amp/LFO-type level. But that is true of many stage pianos.

Anyway - I'm just trying to help by answering with clarity when I think I can. And the processor is certainly not an issue - choices of design might be.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

I appreciate the response, but "the way the processor is being used" is an exact quote from the person who spoke with me and said he was a Korg representative. I didn't catch his name - he called me after Guitar Center called Korg to answer my questions and gave him my cell number. And FYI a Motif XS certainly does have individual organ drawbars sampled - I own one.

I think Korg is onto a damn good idea with the SV-1 - it's a great market-gap product with unique and useful sounds and a pretty good layout. It has direct competition in products like the Nord Electro 3 so it's only natural to compare features and levels of control. I find myself lusting after an SV-1 but not enough to get one yet. Like others here I believe the price point is too high but that's nothing a little promo rebate won't cure. If I were Korg I'd try to get this keyboard on as many stages as possible and continue to improve it.

I spent more time on the SV-1 and now the Yamaha S70XS, I own the Electro 3.

In my humble opinion,for the money the Yamaha destroys the Korg for Piano, equals for electrics, and again destroys it for other sounds and flexibility. Again, for the money the Yamaha is a terrific value. I love the look of the Korg,but the electro does everything well for less money while the Korg just does the pianos. The price should be about $1,500 to compete. The Kurz PC3LE new release is a bargain at $1,500 and again destroys the Korg as it is just a more complete board and a better value.

Korg has a great idea, it just needs to up its game.

Kurzweil PC3x, Nord Electro 3, Nord C-1, Casio Privia PX-3, Yamaha DX-7, Korg Polysix, Moog Taurus 3, Yamaha Motif XS (rack),Ventilator, QSC K12, K10

I think the true market/comparison the SV-1 should be against is the new Nord Piano.

Comparing it to the Yamaha workstations don't make much sense to me. If you're after your kitchen-full of sounds, you don't get a SV-1. You might start looking at the M3/TR/Oasys/M50 in the Korg universe.

I think it was a marketing mistake to put mediocre organ/synth/string sounds in the SV-1, alongside its top-of-class pianos/EPs. It confuses its place in the market and also ruins the impression of the things that it excels at (by making the instrument seem subpar). If they had replaced those with more variations of pianos and EPs (ala the Nord Piano), it would really have a greater identity.

On the other hand, I really think the Internet has an inflated sense of its representation of the actual sales market. I think there are plenty of people who are buying the SV-1 and just digging it and not getting so hung up about whats better "value". How many guitars get sold, and how many do you think sell because they have the most features, or the best "value for money"? Musicians buy what inspires them and what they enjoy playing. At the end of the day, the SV-1 is fun to play.

I agree with Jook, comparing the SV-1 to anything but other stage pianos is apples/oranges.

But the price point tempts KB players to make the real world comparison because it's ~$2K street of our hard-earned money, which I think was VegasGT3's point. If I ONLY need a stage piano...wouldn't I still consider a board with a bunch of other capabilities for the same money?

In the "controlled environment" of a side-by-side product review, apples/oranges is unfair. But in the real world of a $2K purchasing decision, it's simply a question of most bang for my bucks.

I agree with Jook, comparing the SV-1 to anything but other stage pianos is apples/oranges.

But the price point tempts KB players to make the real world comparison because it's ~$2K street of our hard-earned money, which I think was VegasGT3's point. If I ONLY need a stage piano...wouldn't I still consider a board with a bunch of other capabilities for the same money?

In the "controlled environment" of a side-by-side product review, apples/oranges is unfair. But in the real world of a $2K purchasing decision, it's simply a question of most bang for my bucks.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but I really feel that Jook kind of nailed it. When I look for a stage piano(and I can probably speak for a lot of players who are looking for the same thing), the "fun to play" factor has to be there, sometimes even more so than the features. For people who are looking for a combination of portability, good pianos with some tweakability, the SV-1 is a solid choice IMO. And I totally agree with Jook in that the competition should be aimed at the Nord Piano. They're both similar in features, outside of the SV-1 covering organs, strings and synths.. and the SV-1's price is very competitive with the Nord, which is BTW about $400 more and only has pianos.

I, like Jook, have issues with Korg's marketing of the SV-1, but I think it will do very little damage to sales of this board.

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

Archived