Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Korg Electric Piano? (Red/Retro)

Mark Schmieder

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why a waterfall keyboard??? Does it do organ of any type?

Are you sure it's a waterfall keyboard? The keys of the 73 version look more like real piano keys to me.

Also there's this gibberish

73 keys, 88 keys and two down pat and is also played Real Weighted Hammer Action both types

hammer action on both types??? We'll see.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

So far the only reference to a "waterfall" keyboard is by Al Coda above; where he got that from is beyond me. :confused:

From the translated article:

73 keys, 88 keys and two down pat and is also played Real Weighted Hammer Action both types.

It also made mention of availability being 10 months away.

Just a whole lot of gaseous bleating going on at the moment... ;)

Tom, fix the hole in the fence, wouldya? :wave:

Why would a stage piano have waterfall keys? Makes no sense. I agree with Busch's speculation that it has the RH3 action (or maybe a RH4 action newly designed for this).

As for Korg's Rhodes sounds, the demos on YouTube sound pretty damn good, and if this is new modeling technology, past prejudices should be forgotten.

1) I will echo the "why red" comment. Why not make it blue or some other very distinct color and let THAT become the new color of cool?

2) Why would someone NOT want waterfall keys? Seems that they just allow for other types of playing that traditional or diving board keys don't as easily. You can still play them without utilizing them as they are intended. Am I missing something here? If so, please educate me.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

I'm not seeing a waterfall keyboard. This looks like Korg's weighted keybed. Has the same small lip on the top/front edge of the keys. Look at the front view photo. You can see the lip on the low E and the shadow of the lip on the rest of the keys. Pretty clear to not be an organ waterfall.

But then again, I'm just guessing.

I'm afraid that the modelling may be confined to their attempt to recreate a Vox amp. Something about the way the translation is worded has me suspicious.

Which begs the question, WHY a Vox amp in the first place?

:rolleyes:

Especially when Roland has successfully done it with the KC line. :D

The color is already a blemish. But, I'll take the new Korg for a spin whenever it shows up.

At this point, I cannot trust a youtube clip. I'm just not sure Korg can sample or model an AP or EP and get decent results. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

2) Why would someone NOT want waterfall keys?

Because playing piano and electric piano on waterfall keys is like having sex with three condoms on. You could do it, but you'll get no pleasure from the experience.

I am also seeing (and hoping for ) weighted keys on both versions, as I would be GASign for a 73 key weighted action keyboard.

Seriously, I am just looking for good pianos and el. pianos in one lightweight board (or at least medium weight). Unfortunately, nord doesn't qualify (I like epianos but hate their pianos), so this could be my only hope.

Red color is ok, but I am a bit sceptical how it will look stacked with a wood colored clonewheel. My guess is it will be fugly.

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

Because playing piano and electric piano on waterfall keys is like having sex with three condoms on. You could do it, but you'll get no pleasure from the experience.

Is that just a traditionalists opinion? I don't yet feel enlightened here. I don't see why waterfall keys would take away from the pleasure.

And by the way, if I were not married, there are a few famous women I'd like to try your analogy out with -- Halle Berry for one. Even though she's older now, I still have a thing for Meg Ryan, and if she were prohibited from speaking, Jennifer Love Hewitt.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Is that just a traditionalists opinion? I don't yet feel enlightened here. I don't see why waterfall keys would take away from the pleasure.

And by the way, if I were not married, there are a few famous women I'd like to try your analogy out with -- Halle Berry for one. Even though she's older now, I still have a thing for Meg Ryan, and if she were prohibited from speaking, Jennifer Love Hewitt.

Sorry, man. They're all dating guitar players.

The term "waterfall" was coined to describe the shape of the front of the keys, but is generally used to describe unweighted or "organ" weight keys.

If those don't pose a problem to your pianistic technique, then your mileage obviously varies; for most players that started on piano, however, unweighted keys do not lend themselves well to playing piano parts.

Are you putting me on? Take a poll of the piano players on the Forum and see how they respond. For further example, poll Nord Electro owners as to how much they enjoy playing piano and electric piano on that waterfall action.

I'm sure your wife would love to hear that. :rolleyes:

Are you putting me on? Take a poll of the piano players on the Forum and see how they respond. For further example, poll Nord Electro owners as to how much they enjoy playing piano and electric piano on that waterfall action.

Gents,

I think Stepay is referring only to the shape of the key, not the weight of the action.

Carry on...

:snax:

Regards,

Joe

Gents,

I think Stepay is referring only to the shape of the key, not the weight of the action.

Carry on...

:snax:

Regards,

Joe

CORRECT! That is what defines waterfall keys. It's the rounded or slightly beveled edge that allows for a glissando that can be done with the palm of the hand instead of a thumbnail (because it doesn't hurt). Has nothing to do with weighted vs. non-weighted.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Well, first of all, the comment was to show that it was a bad analogy. And secondly, my wife of 20 years knows very well which famous actresses I think are attractive, and I know which actors she thinks are too; we're open with stuff like that which is one reason we've been married for 20 years; besides, I said "if I weren't married", meaning I would honor my marriage (and I always have). Go back to the mid-80s when my wife and I started dating, and she knows I then had a thing for the very beautiful Markie Post. I didn't watch Night Court because I liked the antics of Bull, the crazy yet lovable bailiff!

Oh, another current hottie on my list is actress Constance Zimmer - http://gallery.celebritypro.com/data/media/499/constance-zimmer-dreamcatcher-premiere-3.jpg

Cute and classy.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Well, first of all, the comment was to show that it was a bad analogy.

Disagree.

And secondly, my wife of 20 years knows very well which famous actresses I think are attractive...

Justification unnecessary.

Has nothing to do with weighted vs. non-weighted.

I disagree (see my post above); in the minds of most players, specifically organ/clonewheel players, the term waterfall definitely implies a light, unweighted action.

+1

I disagree (see my post above); in the minds of most players, specifically organ/clonewheel players, the term waterfall definitely implies a light, unweighted action.

+1

Well, the minds of most players is incorrect then. Waterfall keys has to do with the rounded edges. I use terms as they are meant to be, not as some incorrectly think they are.

But in any event, my rightness aside, my question has been answered...you guys were referring to weighted keys, not waterfall keys. I see where you're coming from now.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

+1

LOL funny this needs to cleared up for you people...

Waterfall keys refers to the profile of the key. Period. Weight (or action) is a different characteristic.

Here is the spec from nord, clearly stating the 2 different aspects of the keys

WATERFALL KEYBOARD

The Electro 3 comes in two different sizes. The 61 and the 73 have the same type of semi-weighted keyboard with the waterfall profile. This is a great set of keys to play organ and pianos with.

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

I've never, until now, seen the term "waterfall keys" used as a general term for un-weighted action. I've only seen it referring to the physical design of the keys.

You sir then are CORRECT! It refers to the physical design of the keys, hence my confusion about how that could possibly take pleasure away from playing.

I see now that they were referring to the ACTION which is a different thing altogether, and on that point I can agree with them to a point (although I started as a piano player, I'm not wedded to that kind of action and in fact I enjoy the non-weighted action of many keyboards and organs).

Steve (Stevie Ray)

+1

LOL funny this needs to cleared up for you people...

Waterfall keys refers to the profile of the key. Period. Weight (or action) is a different characteristic.

Here is the spec from nord, clearly stating the 2 different aspects of the keys

WATERFALL KEYBOARD

The Electro 3 comes in two different sizes. The 61 and the 73 have the same type of semi-weighted keyboard with the waterfall profile. This is a great set of keys to play organ and pianos with.

CORRECT!

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Archived