Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Korg Electric Piano? (Red/Retro)

Mark Schmieder

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That tube is cute. Do they figure you need more light for those particular notes?
Yeah, at least on the Hammond it's on the back. That light might get annoying after about 20 seconds.

The piano sound in the Youtube stuff sounds like a remarkable improvement from Korg - like they may have actually produced a decent piano sound. Can't wait to find out for myself...

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Why would a stage piano have waterfall keys? Makes no sense.

No?

Why is there a Nord Stage Compact 73 existing ?

Ask Nord, not me.

:snax:

Sorry, I thought I better ask an expert !

A.C.

THe Nord Stage Compact is 73 non-weighted waterfall keys because (flash!) ITs ALSO A CLONEWHEEL ORGAN. So they gave you 3 options: If you're a pianist primarily, the 88weighted; if you're a keyboardist primarily interested in EPs, you get the 76 weighted; if you're an organist primarily, you get the Compact.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Most of the questions got answered while I had my blinders on for the past 16 hours focusing on work (especially the note about the Korg/Vox/Marshall relationship).

Sorry I don't have the link for the clavinet demo; it was a few levels removed from the main link. And I think the waterfall key concept for the 73-key version was something stated by an announcer on one of the demos I heard, but it's a moot point because the documentation seems to indicate lips on all the keys at all keyboard sizes for this model.

As for action, it's been a really long time since I've sat down at a real Rhodes or Wurly, but my recollection is that Rhodes used a light action and Wurly used a more piano-like action. Whether either company ever put out a model with waterfall shape, I do not know. Not the main models at least.

Does the red harken back to the Rhodes Piano Bass? It's also been awhile since I've seen one of those. More likely it's a cheap shot at Nord, or harkens back to Farfisa, Vox, Panther.

BTW Farfisa is still in business. They make Casio-like arranger keyboards which I saw in various cities in South America.

I think it's reasonable to expect that modeling might be involved, if this is another spin-off from OASYS.

The curved body reminds me a bit of KARMA, but it's also been awhile since I've seen that keyboard. Korg is known to put out keyboards with curvature. Remember the Prophecy? Even Z1.

Sorry I'm too lazy to look anything up now; I am dead tired after a no-dsitraction double-session, and just wanted to quickly check on whether any new information has come to light on this model or the Wave Drum.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Does the red harken back to the Rhodes Piano Bass? It's also been awhile since I've seen one of those. More likely it's a cheap shot at Nord,...

Uh... Nord didn't invent the Red keyboard.

Lest we forget:

http://www.mexthai.com/shop/m/mexthai/img-lib/spd_20060302170625_b.JPG

And most importantly:

http://squeezyboy.blogs.com/squeezytunes/images/vox_proto4.jpg

And of course, Korg owns Vox. So Korg is the current day incarnation of the Vox brand. They have more right than anyone to make a red keyboard. Or even this:

http://www.fdiskc.com/syn/namm/2008/.slide_vox1.jpg

It's also not the first time Korg has put a tube/valve in their keyboard.

Remember the Korg Triton Extreme (tube @ top left corner) which I believe, predates Hammond-Suzuki's use of one in the XK-3:

http://www.musiccitycanada.com/images/products/korg/triton-extreme-61-workstation-lg.jpg

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may04/images/triton5.l.jpg

Nice effort by Korg and the sounds on the YouTube vids sound really good.

The lack of bass sounds and splits would rule it out for me as a gigging board (I regularly need LH bass) but if you only needed the basic sounds this looks a neat and compact way to get them.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Remember that joke that Jerry Seinfeld made years ago about the reason that people like salsa so much is not because of the taste, but just because they like saying the word "SALSAaaaa"? I'm starting to think the same thing about the use of the word "CLONEWHEEL". I can't recall that last time that someone just said, "ORGAN".

yeah no kiddin, that and GAS. Posters in here use these code words far too much, to the point of... beyond nerdy

:wave:

Calling a CX3, BX3, XK1, Electro, Nord C1, etc. a clonewheel isn't being nerdy it's appropriate. Those devices are mimics of TONEWHEEL organs (which as Moe so aptly demonstrated is a far cry from a PIPE organ), and as they don't use TONEWHEELS (which make the "Hammond" sound), Clonewheel is the correct term. You'll find on any topic-centric forum that using the vernacular and vocabulary of that subculture is de-rigeur; that's one of the signifiers you've joined a "community".

Welcome to the community! :thu:

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

It's Rhodes sounds good on "Sonny", I like the Garner style left hand:

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

The acoustic piano sounds very present:

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Sorry; it might not have been a clav; audio quality and stuttering of the video/audio may have made one of the others sound funkier than usual. :-) Throw in massive distortion and it gets a bit blurred... hopefully Korg will have comprehensive official audio demos soon.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Do we have a projected cost on this puppy?

===================

A price of $2,150 was given in the release info. Presumably that's list but unclear if it's for the 73 or 88. A Japanese retailer is showing the street price for the 88 at the US dollar equivalent of $,2000 and $1,800 for the 73.

Busch.

I can't recall that last time that someone just said, "ORGAN".

Well technically, THIS is an organ:

http://web.mit.edu/cjoye/www/music/organ/img/Organ_1.jpg

Are you saying that back then, people called their B3, Farfisa, Vox etc - a "clonewheel"? :whistle:

Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

Are you saying that back then, people called their B3, Farfisa, Vox etc - a "clonewheel"? :whistle:

No, but what's your point? All knowledgeable musicians who have more than a passing interest in Hammonds knows exactly what it means, so why argue about it?

A Hammond is a Hammond, a tonewheel "organ", the standard that all these other modern instruments are trying to emulate. For hundreds of years before that, the only thing called an organ had pipes and was powered by wind. Mr. Hammond called his instrument an "organ" because he wanted to horn in on the market. There were lawsuits about him using that term which he won.

A Vox or Farfisa was called a "combo organ". They were not trying to conspicuously copy the functionality and sound of a tonewheel organ.

Clonewheel means any instrument which deliberately duplicates most of the characteristics of the Hammond, such as general tone, key click, harmonic percussion, and chorus vibrato. Some have drawbars, some do not.

The term came into general use 10 or so years ago, and AFAIK was coined by Bruce Wahler who founded the Yahoo Clonewheel list.

Moe

---

Another way to look at it.

If I said "I just bought a Hammond organ," would you know what I was talking about? Amongst the general population, no, they probably wouldn't care. But among other keyboard players, you'd want to know if I had acquired a tonewheel or clonewheel and which model. Being specific helps communication. Remaining vague does not.

:rolleyes:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Looks interesting, but where are the samples from? They would almost have to be from Oasis..m3...and I have an M50.. I dont think the Korg weighted action is anywhere near Rolands, especially the 700 series...I have to work on the rhodes sounds on the 50, so unless theyve come up w/all new sounds, I pass...

73 weighted is a great idea, under 40lbs...great...but limited sounds also means u may have to dust off 1 or 2 of those modules they say no one uses anymore....

True. But we don't say, "I just bought a Clonetine or a Cloneclav". We just say "I bought a Korg XB" or "I use Ivory." It's kind've odd that we just refer to the category. Hence my assertion that y'all just like the sound of the word "Clonewheel". No biggie, just an observation...

True. But we don't say, "I just bought a Clonetine or a Cloneclav". We just say "I bought a Korg XB" or "I use Ivory." It's kind've odd that we just refer to the category. Hence my assertion that y'all just like the sound of the word "Clonewheel". No biggie, just an observation...
We do say "digital piano" or even DP for short. The clonewheel is the only other case of lots of vendors emulating a specific instrument in hardware. That said, I'd tend to refer to the specific model or brand since Electro or XK-3c takes a heck of a lot less effort to type than clonewheel... ;)
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I can't recall that last time that someone just said, "ORGAN".

Well technically, THIS is an organ:

(big-ass organ)

They're clonepipes.

Durr.

:D

"38 lbs for the 73 note; 45 for 88."

Is the 73 a fully weighted action?

Looks interesting, but where are the samples from? They would almost have to be from Oasis..m3...and I have an M50.. I dont think the Korg weighted action is anywhere near Rolands, especially the 700 series...I have to work on the rhodes sounds on the 50, so unless theyve come up w/all new sounds, I pass...

Please note what busch pointed out earlier already:

At 512MB of ROM, the SV1 has more ROM than any workstation (twice the ROM of the Fantom G and M3). Considering only 36 sounds hopefully we're going to hear sizable quality over quantity improvements.

Archived