Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Korg Electric Piano? (Red/Retro)

Mark Schmieder

"38 lbs for the 73 note; 45 for 88."

Is the 73 a fully weighted action?

All indications we have is that both units use the RH3 which is a fully weighed, graded action. It can be found on the M3-88 and M50-88, as well as other Korg models. If you do the math, the percentage reduction in length is the roughly the same as the percentage reduction in weight, so it makes sense.

The SV-1 (73) is very compact at 45" and should easily fit in back seat of most any car.

Busch.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another way to look at it.

If I said "I just bought a Hammond organ," would you know what I was talking about? Amongst the general population, no, they probably wouldn't care.

Today, saying you have a "Hammond" doesn't say much either. It could be a real vintage tonewheel Hammond, or maybe one of the new Hammond clonewheel models (xk series). They're both "Hammond".

Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

Another way to look at it.

If I said "I just bought a Hammond organ," would you know what I was talking about? Amongst the general population, no, they probably wouldn't care.

Today, saying you have a "Hammond" doesn't say much either. It could be a real vintage tonewheel Hammond, or maybe one of the new Hammond clonewheel models (xk series). They're both "Hammond".

My point exactly. To someone in the audience, they just hear "an organ," but someone like us wants to know if it's a clone, a B-3, an M-100, a Korg CX-3 (original or current), etc.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

How nice is the RH3 action?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

How does this discussion of Electric Pianos keep getting back to Tonewheel/Clonewheel Organs? :-)

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

so much for being able to stack another keyboard on top......

Yep, looks like Korg is doing its part to discourage X stand usage. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The YouTube videos really made it look like a shallow and flat top didn't it?

Based on the pics I'm seeing now, I may keep my V-Stand. The second tier might finally snuggle in tight. Otherwise, The Apex arms are easy to chop short on a band saw. Cut them down to about 6 inches to support the back of the second board and let the front feet sit right on the SV-1.

That big red rounded panel is screaming for another custom paint job. :thu:

Me thinks this board likes to be on top. It was designed to be at the top of the stack.

The short depth also seems to reflect this.

It really does look like it was designed to sit on top of the Korg CX-3.

Me thinks this board likes to be on top. It was designed to be at the top of the stack.

The short depth also seems to reflect this.

It really does look like it was designed to sit on top of the Korg CX-3.

Actually, it looks like it would work well as the bottom board too, given the angle of the front panel. Its controls will be very visible and accessible despite having a tier above it.

Regards,

Joe

Couldn´t find any opinions/answers about this:

what about that stand on the photos? Liked it very much, kinda remebers me the On Tage Table Stand... It would be sweet if that Korg model were really portable and ok to use with another instruments...

Still stunned by the looks on that thing :)

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Actually, it looks like it would work well as the bottom board too, given the angle of the front panel. Its controls will be very visible and accessible despite having a tier above it.

Regards,

Joe

Exactly. I'm sure it's cheaper to make a flat slab but these have never work well as the bottom board. You can't see the display or get access to the controls. This is a far better layout, IMO.

Busch.

I like all the hands-on control that this board has. And in spite of not being as enthusiastic as when I first posted, that's more due to budgetary constraints and priorities than anything else.

I can easily see myself adding this board later on, if it really lives up to expectations. And certainly if it is a successful board, it will probably be around for a very long time.

It's nice to hear all the feedback about the ergonomics as well, as one of my biggest complaints about a lot of boards is how difficult they are to work with in a stacked situation at a gig.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

FYI:

Sound On Sound have already managed to secure the only SV1 in the UK and will be publishing a full, hands-on review in the October 2009 edition of SOS. Covering five pages, the world exclusive review will be your first chance to read an in-depth appraisal of Korgs new instrument.

Bearing in mind that it is really hard, if not impossible, to judge the action of a keyboard from watching a video...it did seem like the velocity settings were very light and that the player wasn't playing very hard yet still getting high velocity type responses. Both the Wurly and Rhodes examples seemed to be a lot...uh..."whackier" (if you follow me) than the real instrument would be.

This is probably adjustable however.

My band Thousand Houses: www.thousandhouses.com

I'll never understand why 45 degree or 30 degree angle photos are considered "cool". You can't tell anything from them, even if you zoom in, due to the vanishing point.

I get a kick when a product on an e-store has four alternate photos, all of which are angled and none of which allow you to tell anything about the connectivity or the controller surface details (labels etc.).

WOW, that SOS review is only a couple of weeks away! Amazing that it will be a full-on review and not just a preview. They must be pretty excited about this piece of gear.

Bearing in mind that it is really hard, if not impossible, to judge the action of a keyboard from watching a video...it did seem like the velocity settings were very light and that the player wasn't playing very hard yet still getting high velocity type responses. Both the Wurly and Rhodes examples seemed to be a lot...uh..."whackier" (if you follow me) than the real instrument would be.

This is probably adjustable however.

I felt that as well. If the action implementation of the SV1 is similar to the way it is on the M3/M50 either setting 4 or 5 (I forget) is standard linear. It is hard to trigger MIDI velocity 127 at that setting. It seems that the player of the SV1 was on setting 2 or 3.

Busch.

Archived