Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Korg Electric Piano? (Red/Retro)

Mark Schmieder

Maybe this new korg will actually make it to music showrooms. Unlike the nord or rhodes where customers are expected to buy blind.

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe this new korg will actually make it to music showrooms. Unlike the nord or rhodes where customers are expected to buy blind.

I see Nords on show floors all the time. The Long and McQuade in my city has a Wave in the synth room at all times.

I've never, until now, seen the term "waterfall keys" used as a general term for un-weighted action. I've only seen it referring to the physical design of the keys.

Okay, so name 10 keyboards with "waterfall" keys, and tell us what action they had. Go ahead, we'll wait. :snax:

LOL funny this needs to cleared up for you people...

Funny you missed my point entirely. What part of my first post, in which I said "The term "waterfall" was coined to describe the shape of the front of the keys", did you not comprehend?

Secondly, what part of "the term waterfall definitely implies a light, unweighted action"? Nowhere did I say that waterfall = unweighted; I said it implies an unweighted action, because the only keyboards with true waterfall key profiles are organ clones.

However, you seem to have some need to be correct today, so I'll just let you keep half-reading posts and I'll move on. :wave:

Here is the spec from nord, clearly stating the 2 different aspects of the keys

WATERFALL KEYBOARD

The Electro 3 comes in two different sizes. The 61 and the 73 have the same type of semi-weighted keyboard with the waterfall profile. This is a great set of keys to play organ and pianos with.

What's clear about this is that Nord is wrong. Playing piano on a Nord Electro is like...

:snax:

"the term waterfall definitely implies a light, unweighted action"?

Sorry bro, I'm not 'down' with this comment. For all I know there is weighted waterfall keys on some board somewhere.

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

I've never, until now, seen the term "waterfall keys" used as a general term for un-weighted action. I've only seen it referring to the physical design of the keys.

Okay, so name 10 keyboards with "waterfall" keys, and tell us what action they had. Go ahead, we'll wait. :snax:

LOL funny this needs to cleared up for you people...

Funny you missed my point entirely. What part of my first post, in which I said "The term "waterfall" was coined to describe the shape of the front of the keys", did you not comprehend?

Secondly, what part of "the term waterfall definitely implies a light, unweighted action"? Nowhere did I say that waterfall = unweighted; I said it implies an unweighted action, because the only keyboards with true waterfall key profiles are organ clones.

However, you seem to have some need to be correct today, so I'll just let you keep half-reading posts and I'll move on. :wave:

Sven,

The fact that non-weighted keys and waterfall keys for the most part go hand in hand does not negate the fact that they are two different things. I've never researched if any weighted keys also are waterfall keys, so I can't name any for you that are, but again, this doesn't negate the fact that they are two different things. I can see where you and the other dude were confused, but confused you were. It's ok. I'm confused about things on occasion too.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Waterfall keys are only referring to the shape of the keys and have nothing to do with action. It was a Hammond feature for years to reduce production costs over traditional fronted keys. Over time, users liked the flat front and it would allow for the ease of executing glissandos with the palm without catching the web between the thumb and index fingers on any key edges.

Later models and some of the home consoles used "diving board" keys.

Any inference to weighted vs unweighted keys when talking about waterfall is purely speculation.

That said, I've NEVER seen weighted a keyboard with a waterfall design, however won't deny that the possibility exists somewhere.

YMMV

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Why a waterfall keyboard??? Does it do organ of any type?

So far the only reference to a "waterfall" keyboard is by Al Coda above; where he got that from is beyond me. :confused:

No,- Mark Schmieder was the 1st one mentioning it looks like a waterfall type keyboard #2112203 - 09/03/09 11:24 PM Re: New Korg Electric Piano? (Red/Retro) [Re: CEB] on page 1 of this thread.

That´s why I´d prefer to have it on top of a 88-weighted keys board then and if.

From the translated article:

73 keys, 88 keys and two down pat and is also played Real Weighted Hammer Action both types.

It also made mention of availability being 10 months away.

Just a whole lot of gaseous bleating going on at the moment... ;)

I don´t really know if it´s 10 month away or not, but I have read somewhere it will be available in oct. this year,-"and it offers all vintage electric pianos, acoustic piano and more". Might be a fake,- who knows ?

Depending the GAS, I don´t care in general,- but when I listened to these youtube clips of the "myserious keyboard", I was very pleased, a manufacturer comes up w/ a dedicated vintage-type stage piano offering good acoustic piano too and I hope it´s modelling for all the instruments,- not samples.

I didn´t buy new gear since many years, except software,- unfortunally in most cases. So my GAS is somewhat limited anyway.

A.C.

I always thought Nord should have released a Nord "piano/wurli/ep/synth" model with weighted keys. I figured it would have made them sell more C1's or E3's and then the Nord "piano/wurli/ep/synth" would be lighter than 40 lbs.

I think this keyboard is really intriguing! Awesome.

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

I always thought Nord should have released a Nord "piano/wurli/ep/synth" model with weighted keys. I figured it would have made them sell more C1's or E3's and then the Nord "piano/wurli/ep/synth" would be lighter than 40 lbs.

I think this keyboard is really intriguing! Awesome.

Nord Stage?

Why would a stage piano have waterfall keys? Makes no sense.

No?

Why is there a Nord Stage Compact 73 existing ? Does it have piano-type weighted keys ?

It would make sense to bring a 88-weighted keys model and a more lightweight and less bulky 73 keys version w/ waterfall keys, especially if it comes w/ a great clavinet modelling.

Not all keyboardplayers use one keyboard only, but like to have all the different modelling instruments if they own a 88-weighted key keyboard already.

Playing the clav w/ the internal keyboard and the pianos w/ a 2nd weighted keyboard over midi would be great.

That´s why I asked for multitimbrality of the SV-1.

A.C.

2) Why would someone NOT want waterfall keys?

Because playing piano and electric piano on waterfall keys is like having sex with three condoms on. You could do it, but you'll get no pleasure from the experience.

But the same rules for playing clavinet on fully weighted keys !

A.C.

Legendary Meikyoku used, many people still in this one of the classic vintage sound to be loved. Mesmerizing moment minus the keyboard that transcends time!

Vintage, made in Retoromodan theme, even Retorofyucharisutikku the 60's design is guaranteed to be shined on stage and feel. 88 key type.

Piano, electric piano, and Oruinwanshinse other vendors have dared Kurabisaundo focused on making wheels, split function, and are eliminated as well as ADSR. Instead, every single sound is top notch! 7 Beroshitireiya are also possible and quite real and represent a variety of levels. And has also played down pat Real Weighted Hammer Action. Products you say really enjoy playing keyboardist.

Modeling should include as part of focus of the sound amplifier. Simulate the VOX amplifier in such a vacuum tube circuit further "Valve Reactor" Vintejisaundo醸Shi出Shimasu a warm and fat with so! Can respond immediately on playing because it is located in a relatively small amount to the optimal control knob to play on stage, you can revert to its previous state by pushing the knob Even if play with the knob, a very It also has a useful feature. The software allows editing by the editors also finer. Also, in Ottawa, where the bags will be available only as optional accessories, made with a sturdy carry-on. Storage Stand can also be released at the same time further.

Main Specifications

Keyboard

88 keys (E to E) RH3 keyboard

Touch Control

Eight types of curves touch

Pitch

Fine tuning tuning curve transposed

Sound system

EDS (Enhanced Definition Synthesis)

Maximum Polyphony

80 Voice

PCM (ROM)

512MB (16-bit linear equivalent)

Sound

36 (preset: 6 type x 6 variations) E. Piano 1 type (Tine EP / Amp, Tine EP / Phaser, Tremolo EP, Dyno EP, VPM Piano, VPM Tine) E. Piano 2 types (Reed EP 1, Reed EP 2, Electric Grand, SG-1D Piano, 80's Piano, MIDI Grand) Clav type (Clav AC, Clav BC, Clav BD, Clav AD, ElectroPno, ElectraPno) Piano Type (Grand Piano 1, Grand Piano 2, Mono Grand, Upright, Piano / Strings, Piano / Pad) Organ Type (Click Tonewheel, Jazz Tonewheel, Full Tonewheel, Console Organ, Italian Combo, Vox Combo) Other Type (Full Strings, Tape Strings, 70s Strings, Choir, Synth Brass, Sharp Brass )

Favorite sound

Effect

Six independent strains (5 total effects + effects 1) Equalizer: Bass, Mid, Treble Puri effects: Comp, Boost, U-Vibe, vibrato, tremolo, VOX wah amp models: 1-5 amp, amplifier, organ ( Each cabinet contains a model), Valve Reactor circuit / tube 12AX7 (ECC83) Modulation effects: Chorus 1 / 2, phaser 1 / 2. Flanger, rotary speaker, reverb / delay: Room, Plate, Hall, spring, tape echo, delay stereo

Control Panel

Select Sound: 2 knob (type, variant) Select Favorite Sound: 8 equalizer effect control switch switch (on / off), 3 knobs (Bass, Mid, Treble) effects Prix: 2 Switch (On / Off, Auto / Dal pages), 3 knobs (type, speed, intensity) amp models: one switch (on / off), two knobs (type, drive) modulation effects: two switches (on / off, rotate rotary speaker speed "Fast / Slow" switchable), 3 knobs (type, speed, intensity) Reverb / Delay: 2 switches (On / Off, TAP for delay stereo), 2 knobs: (type, depth) Other 4 switches ( transpose, local off, touch, function), one master volume knob

Song Demo

36 songs (one each for each preset songs)

Terminal

Audio outputs: L, R (XLRx2, balance) + L / MONO, R (1 / 4 "pin, unbalanced) audio input: L / MONO, R MIDI: IN / OUT USB: Type B (MIDI interface and combined, USB 1.1 compatible) 1 pedal Damper pedal (foot switches), two pedals (expression / for volume) Headphones

Dimensions / Weight

1,356 (W) x 347 (D) x 157 (H) / mm / 20.5 Kg

Supported OS

Windows: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition / Professional Service Pack 3 or later Mac: Mac OS X 10.4.11,10.5 later

Roland FA-08

Nord StageEX compact

Yamaha MG10/2

I like the choice of sounds! Although, I was hoping for some kind of modeling. I hope the preset sounds are good enough. I was gasing for tweakability :(
Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

At 512MB of ROM, the SV1 has more ROM than any workstation (twice the ROM of the Fantom G and M3). Considering only 36 sounds hopefully we're going to hear sizable quality over quantity improvements.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the PCM-based Hammond sounds, but this is a fully weighted keyboard, so who cares.

Busch.

For all I care they can toss all the organ sounds out. I'm carrying a clonewheel anyway, I don't care much for organ in a stage piano.

Ok, maybe if you are going lightweight, and playing 99% piano and then there's that 1 song where you really need to hold the chords on an organ patch. Then it might get used. But that's like never.

I am hoping they will not screw someting up. I've been looking to replace my trusty old p120 for 6 months now, and this could be it.

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

Yowzers. I'm breaking my hiatus from here to comment on this. This is exactly what I've been wishing from Korg and it's really exciting to see it come to life.

So there's a 73-key RED version:

http://www.shimamura.co.jp/cms/media/1/20090903-sv1_73top.jpg

and an 88-key black with brown(wood?) cheeks:

http://www.shimamura.co.jp/cms/media/1/20090903-sv1_88top.jpg

http://1484.bz/shibuya/img/sv1-9.jpg

http://1484.bz/shibuya/img/SV1-1-2.jpg

Archived