Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Spinal Tap -- Back From The Dead!

Geoff Grace

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just saw them on the "Unplugged & Unwigged" tour. It was the three of them (McKean, Guest, Shearer) playing acoustic versions of Tap songs, as well as songs from Waiting for Guffman and A Mighty Wind. A keyboardist joined them for about half the show, and Elvis Costello sang "Gimme Some Money." So much fun. :thu:

I saw Spinal Tap in the early 90s in San Francisco. Bassist Les Claypool from Primus joined them for a couple songs and was AWESOME. The whole concert was hilarious. My sides were hurting the next day from laughing so hard. They started the concert by dropping them to the stage from the ceiling on wires, and of course Derek Smalls (Harry Shearer) got stuck up there and had to play the whole song suspended from the ceiling.

I even laughed when they sang "Heavy Duty" and the audience joined in as if it were a real concert. They put an image of Cher up and had moving lips, kind of like what Conan O'Brien used to do on his Late Night Show. Anyway, it was great fun.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

I'm a fan of those guys and Christopher Guest's movies.

The original movie had some great lines, like when their manager was kissing up to a big rock star who told him "Hey, I'd love to talk to you some more, but I have to go sit down in the lobby and wait for the limo."

Yeah, that's a great line, and one of the least quoted. Usually you hear "These go to 11" or "Oh this piece is called Lick My Love Pump", but that quote you quoted shows how brilliant that movie is...that's a great great line.

I also like the Fred Willard quote at the air force base, "Of course my hair's not regulation - I'd better not walk too close or people will think I'm part of the band. I'm kidding, of course."

Fun to see Billy Crystal and Dana Carvey as mimes too.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

My teenage daughter finally watched "Spinal Tap". She said "Dad, I don't know why you make such a big deal out of that movie. It wasn't THAT funny.". So I'd ask about this part or that part of the movie, and she'd start laughing hard. Finally she said "OK, you're right. But it's even funnier just thinking about it after the fact."

"I call it Mach"

And that's her favorite line.

There's too many to pick just one, so why not enjoy all of them: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088258/quotes

Great concept- the mockumentary, although I'm not sure that the first try wasn't the peak. But Best in Show came close. My wife shows dogs and swears she knows all of those characters. Love the running gags: prematurely deceased drummers in TIST, every guy in the world has slept with the gal who has the terrier (Fred Willard as the Joe Gargiola* TV color commentator "She looks familiar.")

*This obvious parody of Joe is patently unfair, BTW. He did a much better job than some idiot celeb woman at Westminster this year. Totally clueless. Even I know more than this woman and I keep my distance from my wife's dog showing. She doesn't pretend to understand why golf is fun and I don't pretend to understand what's going on in the show ring.

I usually explain dog shows as, instead of keeping score in a golf match or tournament, a judge would wander around the course and watch everyone play and the winner would have the best looking swing. Odds are, the judge picks the best golfer (although Jim Furyck might struggle), but it would be pretty subjective. Oh yeah, throw in that some judges are heavily influenced by the presence of a well-known caddy (a professional handler) carrying your bag. The rational being that someone well-known would never show anything but a great dog, so it's safe to pick them. Also, most judges are former professional handlers, so they all know each other.

Sorry to get OT.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

... instead of keeping score in a golf match or tournament, a judge would wander around the course and watch everyone play and the winner would have the best looking swing.
:) Funny analogy. The winner would also have the best clubs and nicest looking bag. Each golfer walks out, takes one swing and the crowd applauds, then the judge inspects their balls. (sorry)

I liked "Waiting For Guffman" a lot - all of those movies have great moments.

[Nigel is playing a soft piece on the piano]

Marty DiBergi: It's very pretty.

Nigel Tufnel: Yeah, I've been fooling around with it for a few months.

Marty DiBergi: It's a bit of a departure from what you normally play.

Nigel Tufnel: It's part of a trilogy, a musical trilogy I'm working on in D minor which is the saddest of all keys, I find. People weep instantly when they hear it, and I don't know why.

Marty DiBergi: It's very nice.

Nigel Tufnel: You know, just simple lines intertwining, you know, very much like - I'm really influenced by Mozart and Bach, and it's sort of in between those, really. It's like a Mach piece, really. It's sort of...

Marty DiBergi: What do you call this?

Nigel Tufnel: Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump".

Why quote single lines or scenes from that movie? Just print the entire script: CLONK HERE.

There's not a single wasted word in there. It's ALL totally, absolutely BRILLIANT.

Noah

P.S. Although Monty Python's Holy Grail is a close second, This is Spinal Tap is my favorite comedy of all-time.

Did anyone ever see the movie "Fear of a Black Hat" (I think that was the title.) It was basically the same story as Spinal Tap but about a rap group. Instead of drummers, their managers kept getting killed. And there's a scene where one of the members is showing off his gun collection that is just like the Scene where Nigel shows off his guitar collection.

Why quote single lines or scenes from that movie? Just print the entire script: CLONK HERE.

There's not a single wasted word in there. It's ALL totally, absolutely BRILLIANT.

Noah

P.S. Although Monty Python's Holy Grail is a close second, This is Spinal Tap is my favorite comedy of all-time.

Agreed about This is Spinal Tap and Monty Python's Holy Grail. #1 and #2 on my favorite comedy movies list.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Love the movie - haven't figured out how old my son needs to be to sit down and watch it with me (he's 10 now).

One highlight of my trip to SoCal a year and a half ago was an invitation to a friends birthday party, where most of Spinal Tap was present (Christopher, Michael, and CJ), along with Skunk Baxter. Unfortunately CJ was the only one to play (and that was late at night when most people had gone home)...

Should have gotten some pictures - damn!

Also had a weird moment at the same party on the balcony when a record producer insisted on showing me pictures of his kids on his iPhone - My wife was surprised when his kids turned out to be 23 and 25... I guess it was an excuse for him to show the MSFT guy (me) the iPhone :)

Agreed about This is Spinal Tap and Monty Python's Holy Grail. #1 and #2 on my favorite comedy movies list.

:thu::cool:

and my 3rd favorite:

[Leo Bloom walks in on Bialystock romancing Holdmethouchme]

Leo Bloom: Oh my God!

Max Bialystock: You mean "oops," don't you? Just say "oops" and get out!

Leo Bloom: Ahahahahahahahaha

Max Bialystock: Not "ahahahahahahah!" Oops!

Leo Bloom: Oops!

[slams the door]

Just taking a guess, but many of us here would probaby pick these as the most quotable comedies of the 70s-80s (in no order):

Spinal Tap

Caddyshack

MP & Holy Grail

Blazing Saddles

Young Frankenstein

Animal House

Blues Brothers

Airplane

Archived