Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rhodes mark 7, Brandstetter against Clavia, Avid, M-Audio...

fjzingo

Clavia already has removed all references to Rhodes in their literature and their website.

This happened more than a year ago due to the harassment of Mr. Brandstetter. To sue them now shows not trademark defense, but greed and/or malice.

Moe

---

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was so looking forward to buying a new Mark 7 with all the modern amenities. Now that I see what Brandstetter is all about, I'll save my hard-earned cash and stick with my Lounge Lizard III as I am quite pleased with it anyway.

Yamaha CP-73, Hammond SK Pro 73, Yamaha MODX 7, Roland Fantom 06, Roland VK-8M, Yamaha FS1R

Hmmm.

As much time as I spend in Silicon Valley startups in my day job, none of this strikes me as even slightly surprising. A sad sign of the times, yes, but surprising? No.

I have no inside information whatsoever, but I would be shocked if this is about greed. It's about IP/TM lawyers.

I mean really, would Brandstetter enter a business this risky for any reason except love of the instrument? That's the argument that doesn't make any sense. There are so many ways for greedy and unscrupulous people to make money, the idea that someone would choose faithfully executing the vision of a real Rhodes just seems ludicrous to me.

Not that any of that makes the lawsuits palatable.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Brandsetter (sic) has been litigiously active in this manner for years now. Seems to me the energy would be better spent actually getting his "Rhodes" on the market.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Brandsetter (sic) has been litigiously active in this manner for years now. Seems to me the energy would be better spent actually getting his "Rhodes" on the market.

I completely agree that energy is better spent on engineers than lawyers! This business of trademark and intellectual property litigiousness is a very significant problem.

I'm just saying that's it's a general problem with our business culture, not a localized problem with Brandstetter.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

True. IP counsel have no problem in the Bay Area putting their heirs through college - and grad school.

What I find interesting is that while IP litigation is common in the tech industry (esp. software), I have not heard - until Brandstetter - of it being at all commonplace in the music hardware biz. Sure, there are the egregious violations of Behringer (didn't that result in a lawsuit?), but the attitude of Steinway that was earlier cited seems more commonplace.

Rhodes have a right to protect their trademark. Besides that who else would have had the balls to reproduce a new Rhodes?? Not many i reckon. We should be happy its happening. Its no small task and im sure Joe is doing this for the love of the instrument.

PS Theres a thread back up on fendderhodes,com re the mark7 now too fyi. Nobody knows the real story except Joe-this whole thread is based mainly on unproven assumptions. Thats a dangerous way to go about things. Dont try and blacken someones name unless you know 110% they are guilty as charged.

For me nothing will get in the way of my desire to own a mark7.

Oh and btw the mark 7 is shipping.

Chief Product Officer at Rhodes®. Project leader and designer of the Rhodes MK8 piano and V8 Plug-in.  

Nobody knows the real story except Joe-this whole thread is based mainly on unproven assumptions. Thats a dangerous way to go about things. Dont try and blacken someones name unless you know 110% they are guilty as charged.

Understood.

I believe we all would welcome some insight into this from Mr. Brandstetter. Of course, I doubt this will occur. Nevertheless, it would be a step in the right direction for him to set the record straight. Especially since discussion regarding his product is currently at its peak because of the numerous video clips that have been posted.

Perhaps someone should give him a call.

Ummmmm, Moe? ...You do it. :laugh:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

The amount of money B is demanding could wreck a small company, so it's not about defending a trademark.

It's a fantasic undertaking B has done reproducing the rhodes, I think he should focus on that. The companies he is sueing actually keeps and have kept/increased the popularity of the rhodes instrumentwhich actually helps in marketing the mark 7....

I would wan't a mark 7 but I'm not sure I want to support someone destroying the industry by filing ineccessery lawsuits, there are other ways to solve these things as can be understood from above in this thread-I bet B needs the money ;)

It will be interesting what you think of you're new keys when it arrives funkyfingerz.

/Fred

It is easy enough for companies to remove Rhodes from patch names.

These lawsuits are like going bald, Mr. B needs to just let it go.

It would be best to bring the new Rhodes to market and see what it does instead of shaking down the industry. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

It is easy enough for companies to remove Rhodes from patch names.

These lawsuits are like going bald, Mr. B needs to just let it go.

It would be best to bring the new Rhodes to market and see what it does instead of shaking down the industry. :cool:

Are you gonna change your avatar?

Here for the gear.

http://www.gearwire.com/media/gearwire-rhodes.jpg

Mumember this?

:snax:

I sure do.

Reminds me of Ike Heisler in Collinsville, Ill. He used to book all the St. Louis/Illinois bands in the 70s. The first thing out of his mouth would be "Don't you guys owe me some money?"

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Are you gonna change your avatar?

He would but the lawyers won't let him.

:D

I'll change the avatar if dB and/or New Bay media request it.

Otherwise, f!@# Mr. B and his wrap. :laugh:

That ad reminds me of a sportcoat I need to cop. Would look great with a pair of jeans. :):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I thought the generic "tine piano" was already a popular euphemism among patch names, along with the assorted misspellings? (Roads, etc.)

This thread is really the first I've heard about all this. I have this vision of all the other keyboard manufacturers informally agreeing on a common name for their future Rhodes sounds in honor of this guy -- like, in two years, all the Rhodes sounds on new boards are suddenly labeled "Douchebag EP." Then, as it works its way into common parlance, we start hearing conversations like, "Man, did you hear the sweet new 12-layer Douchebag sample on the Electro 5?"

I think the Rhodes sound became what it is because Harold Rhodes did it out of unselfish love and a good cause.

Brandsttater's dream is not Harold's, unfortunatelly. This kind of thing might ruin the instruments legacy in the long run.

Just look how B claims that everything about HIS instrument is better than the old design and it might be but going about it like that is a bit bold.

'the finger strikes with twice as much force you'll ever going to strike the key with so i stopped it after 10 million hits'

couldnt help but sense some ego there..

dunno but Harold's Rhodes and B's Rhodes are two different instruments IMO.

Havent played the mk7 but own a mk1 73 and love it.

Nik

-Music Is The Soul Of Life-

The obvious question ... have this even been asked?

Has anyone here actually ordered a new Rhodes?

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Archived