Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can Electro nail this organ tone?(Green Eyed Lady)

playstation

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, er.... umm... I kinda get the blame for the keytar. About 15-16 years ago I did a lot of work with the Classic Rock Allstars (the band from that second link) and I'm afraid I let Jerry talk me into loaning him my keytar (his main board at the time was a DX7). If that video is recent (and it looks it) his chops have fallen off a bit in the last decade and a half. ...either that or he was just bored that day :D

Scott

Wow. A DX7 to a Keytar; how the mighty fall. He was such a monster on the Hammond on those records. I guess I could understand a DX7 in the day. Clearly portability was important. But these days you would think he'd go with a clone given how far they have come and his history on the B. Oh well, another bubble burst....

I remember opening for Sugarloaf in the early 1970s. The whole band was astonished when Jerry played that clavinet break (at 2:22 on the the original link) manually. We all thought it was a studio trick. But everything about his playing was astonishing to me that night.

I was offstage just to his side so I could watch him during their set. Back then he had a Clavinet C on top of a B3. What a player!

• 4 years later...
Survival can be tough for one hit wonders. They didnt make rock star money, but they dont want to get a crappy dayjob and probably dont have many nonmusical marketable skills. They have to hang in there until the nostalgia wave floats a few tidbits their way.

FunMachine.

Here is some audio of a band i play in doing the song. I am using an electro 3. I think the sound is close enough, although i had recently learned the tune and did not really have the solo comfortably under my fingers. I have been playing it much less sloppy lately.

Oh, but look at Jerry doing it these days. How disappointing...

Hey... He looks just as "good" as anyone else playing a keytar...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

This is one of the saddest videos I have seen in a long time...

Jerry was a huge influence on me and many of my friends here. Now it looks like he is one step away from the Bar Mitzvah circuit. God bless you, Jerry.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I saw that video a couple of months ago and thought the exact same thing Dave. It's terrible, cheesy and should have never been posted. Very sad.

The first time I heard GEL I worked it up the next day. We were on the road and never actually perfomed it because it didn't fit with our shows at the time and it wasn't a good last set dance tune either but I played those licks for years. One of my all time favorite songs. Years ago I heard a live version of it on the radio and Jerry took a killer solo on it, way better than the original record. I have no idea where that live version came from.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

...I remember the first time I heard it; somewhere on I-75 south of Cincinnati early AM. Sleepy as Hell and about 100 miles from home.

Those first rich Hammond tones got my attention; I kept thinking-PLEASE-let there be a lead, sure enough there was.

Bottom line-the tune fired me up for the rest of the drive home, and created one Hell of a memory. Bought the tune, learned it-then the same with "Live to Tell" which has a Hell of a lead in it, too.

I saw the offensive vid years ago. Too bad there isn't any good footage of 'em.

Here is some audio of a band i play in doing the song. I am using an electro 3. I think the sound is close enough, although i had recently learned the tune and did not really have the solo comfortably under my fingers. I have been playing it much less sloppy lately.

Nice job!! I even wanted to hear the whole song. GOOD SINGER!

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Archived