Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Christmas Music Banned at Corporate Party Gig

Jazz+

I was playing background piano at a corporate party for 750 employees, mostly African American, and I assumed some Christmas music was expected. So I started to play a swinging jazz version of "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" and the Caucasion woman who had hired me suddenly came running over in a panic and said "I'm sorry, we can't have you playing any Christmas music, some of the people here might be offended by it."

Silly, huh?

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if some of the more generic holiday/winter songs would have been acceptable - Jingle Bells, Winter Wonderland, etc...

I've done parties in December where the client has specifically stated there be no Christmas songs before, and if that was what these people wanted they probably should have just stated that up front for the sake of clarity

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I wonder if some of the more generic holiday/winter songs would have been acceptable - Jingle Bells, Winter Wonderland, etc...

I've done parties in December where the client has specifically stated there be no Christmas songs before, and if that was what these people wanted they probably should have just stated that up front for the sake of clarity

Yes, very lame of her to not have said that ahead of time. I actually don't mind a policy of no Christmas music -- not everyone celebrates that Holiday, but she should have made that clear ahead of time -- was he supposed to have read her mind?

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Here at the University they were sending out e-mails to not put up decorations because people would have a problem with it if they did not celebrate it. Some people got written up because of it.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

:) Know what?

I think we should mix it up.

Along with really good songs like The Grinch Song, Grandma Got Runover By A Reindeer, and Merry Christmas From The Family (plus any other politically incorrect tunes we can think of), I believe we should spread the joy of the holidays.

Yeah.

Spread it all around.

So I ask you - Does anyone here know of other classic and really good songs :/ that we could all add to our seasonal repertoire to help celebrate the other holidays around this time? We should leave no one out in this joyous time of year. Don't you think?

Here's a list of some winter holidays we should remember:

Saint Nicholas Day (Christian) -- December 6

Eid'ul-Adha (Muslim) -- December 8

Fiesta of Our Lady of Guadalupe (Mexican) -- December 12

St. Lucia Day (Swedish) -- December 13

Hanukkah (Jewish) -- Begins at sundown on December 21 (ends December 29)

Christmas Day (Christian) -- December 25

Boxing Day (Australian, Canadian, English, Irish) -- December 26

Kwanzaa (African American) -- December 26 to January 1

Omisoka (Japanese) -- December 31

Epiphany (Christian) -- January 6

=========================================================

If I've left out any, I'm certain there are folks here who will help me and chime in.

So if someone comes up to you and says Happy Eid'ul-Adha!, and you're not really Muslim, don't take offense.

No.

Just smile and reply, "Party On!". :thu:

Good wishes to everyone. Even those folks who don't have a particular winter holiday to celebrate.

Yeah. I said it. :snax:

Everybody can use some good wishes right about now, methinks.

:)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

"Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town"

You better watch out

You better not cry

You better not pout

I'm telling you why

Santa Claus is coming to town

He's making a list,

Checking it twice;

Gonna find out who's naughty or nice.

He sees you when you're sleeping

He knows when you're awake

He knows if you've been bad or good

So be good for goodness sake

With little tin horns and little toy drums

Rooty toot toots and rummy tum tums

Goodness sake

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

I grow a little tired of everybody being so hyper-sensitive. We sure have become thin-skinned as a nation! I can't understand how someone could be offended by just a melody with no lyrics behind it. There are many songs that share the same melody but have different lyrics. Should Baptist be offended by the Star Spangled Banner just because the melody originates from an English beer drinking song? We need to get a grip....Just Saying!

Yamaha CP-73, Hammond SK Pro 73, Yamaha MODX 7, Roland Fantom 06, Roland VK-8M, Yamaha FS1R

I grow a little tired of everybody being so hyper-sensitive. We sure have become thin-skinned as a nation! I can't understand how someone could be offended by just a melody with no lyrics behind it. There are many songs that share the same melody but have different lyrics. Should Baptist be offended by the Star Spangled Banner just because the melody originates from an English beer drinking song? We need to get a grip....Just Saying!

I celebrate Chrismas. My bass Player is Jewish. What does he say to me? Merry Christmas.

People need to lighten up. We're supposed to be a nation that is tolerent of other beliefs, not a nation afraid to offend.

If someone that celebrates a different holiday comes to me and wishes me to have a joyous holiday based on their beliefs, I'll say "Thank You, and a Happy (insert holiday here) to you." I don't get upset because this holiday might not fall under my belief structure. I'm just greatful that the person thought enough of me to wish me happiness according to their beliefs, and as a show of respect I wish them the same.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I was on a gig in a very ethnically diverse part of town, Playa Vista, which is full of persian, indian, middle eastern, white and asian yuppies. It was two hours of solo piano for a 'holiday party' for the community, and I was told to be wary of playing too many Christmas tunes as it might offend all those not of a Christmas disposition represented there. So I kept the Holiday tunes to an absolute minimum. Then a couple families of middle eastern descent come up to me with their kids and one of the dads asks me: "Do you take requests?". "I'll play it if I know it" I reply, thinking what the heck is this guy going to want. No doubt this dude doesn't celebrate Christmas I'm thinking. "Jingle Bells" he replies. So I launch into a bouncy version of Jingle Bells and these two middle eastern kids start boogying their butts off for 10 minutes.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I've still got a very vivid picture of Ronnie (Mr. Nightime) putting on a Grinch suit and with his operatic training giving "THE GRINCH SONG" his very best shot.

You're a mean on... Mr. Grinch

You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch.

You really are a heel.

You're as cuddly as a cactus,

You're as charming as an eel.

Mr. Grinch.

You're a bad banana

With a greasy black peel.

I'd pay money to see that. :thu:

Ummmmmm... Not a lot of money. :rolleyes:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I grow a little tired of everybody being so hyper-sensitive. We sure have become thin-skinned as a nation! I can't understand how someone could be offended by just a melody with no lyrics behind it.

Yep, it is has gotten rough when Jazz musicians playing instrumentals have to be "careful" about what they play. :laugh:

If folks get any more sensitive, they will insist that we use a real piano. :rolleyes:

Maybe I need to start researching golf clubs. :sick::D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Quote by Mr Nightime:

"People need to lighten up. We're supposed to be a nation that is tolerant of other beliefs, not a nation afraid to offend."

Somewhere, somehow, "someone" decided it was politically incorrect to offend people. There's NOTHING in the Constitution of the United States that says you can't be offended! Duh! I'm sure you've heard of sporting events for children where both the winners AND the losers get a trophy. Sorry, that's not the way life really works. People that lose, whether it be their job, their wife, or their money, are out the door, unceremoniously. If we fail to teach children this valuable lesson early in life, they won't strive to do better as adults and will be set up for failure.

If a group that hires me asks me not to play Christmas songs, I won't. If one person in a group asks me not to play Christmas songs, and everyone else wants me too, I tell the person that doesn't want the Christmas songs that the "majority rules".

Personally, I don't "celebrate" Christmas on December 25th as others do. Many of you know that December 25th was originally the date of a pagan holiday. No one really knows on what day Christ was born, and the date isn't that important anyway. You can "celebrate" Christmas on October 25th if you like, as long as you remember it at all. Others that don't believe what Christians believe are welcome to believe what they want. And before this starts sounding political or religious, I say, live and let live.

P.S. He who pays the fiddler calls the tune.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I've still got a very vivid picture of Ronnie (Mr. Nightime) putting on a Grinch suit and with his operatic training giving "THE GRINCH SONG" his very best shot.

You're a mean on... Mr. Grinch

You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch.

You really are a heel.

You're as cuddly as a cactus,

You're as charming as an eel.

Mr. Grinch.

You're a bad banana

With a greasy black peel.

I'd pay money to see that. :thu:

Ummmmmm... Not a lot of money. :rolleyes:

Putting on the Grinch suit? I don't think so.

Nah, I'd have to dress like Boris Karlof for that :D

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I've had numerous requests - particularly in the last 5 years or so (??) for "holiday" songs - - but not "christmas" songs. Basically, they haven't wanted the specifically Christian, songs. For exmaple:

12 Days of Christmas - ok

Santa Claus is Coming to Town - ok

Joy To The World - not ok

Away in a Manger - no ok.

Oh well.

I was on a gig in a very ethnically diverse part of town, Playa Vista, which is full of persian, indian, middle eastern, white and asian yuppies. It was two hours of solo piano for a 'holiday party' for the community, and I was told to be wary of playing too many Christmas tunes as it might offend all those not of a Christmas disposition represented there. So I kept the Holiday tunes to an absolute minimum. Then a couple families of middle eastern descent come up to me with their kids and one of the dads asks me: "Do you take requests?". "I'll play it if I know it" I reply, thinking what the heck is this guy going to want. No doubt this dude doesn't celebrate Christmas I'm thinking. "Jingle Bells" he replies. So I launch into a bouncy version of Jingle Bells and these two middle eastern kids start boogying their butts off for 10 minutes.

What most people don't realize about the middle east is that there are millions of christians living there (many of whom have immigrated to the US, and elsewhere)... So, don't be surprised if you see some middle eastern types singing Christmas tunes.

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

What most people don't realize about the middle east is that there are millions of christians living there (many of whom have immigrated to the US, and elsewhere)... So, don't be surprised if you see some middle eastern types singing Christmas tunes.

aL

Indeed - one of my favorite Middle Eastern restaurants here in Indy is owned by Palestinian Christians
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

aL

Indeed - one of my favorite Middle Eastern restaurants here in Indy is owned by Palestinian Christians

That's very funny because I just ate at Nazareth here in Columbus today for lunch (middle eastern), and they are Palestinian Christians who leave a Christmas tree up year round. The owner walks around with a baseball bat asking the customers if everything tastes good.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

The owner walks around with a baseball bat asking the customers if everything tastes good.

Classic :thu:

Remind me to eat down the street instead. :eek:

quoting Mr. Nightime:

People need to lighten up. We're supposed to be a nation that is tolerent of other beliefs, not a nation afraid to offend.

I live near a small town in which last year the Church was playing Christmas music with chimes from their bell tower. An atheists group in the area protested and the church was forced to cease the chimes.

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

I don't think a jazz isntrumental of 'When Santa Claus Comes To Town' is going to really offend people at a holliday party any more than the usuall American Songbook tunes I play.

However, I do think it is improper when a nativity scene of baby Jesus is erected in front of a governemnt building. If they are going to do that then they should also put up scenes of all the other major religions.

There is a difference between people not wanting to hear Christmas music and and people being upset by it.

Had she said "We don't want to hear Christmas music at this party" would have been fine. But saying that playing a Christmas song is going to offend others or presumably because as a company they could be liable for discrimination because of it, is a bit silly.

"Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town"

Goodness sake

Now that you mention it, that song does sort of portray Mr. Claus as a serial stalker. No wonder she freaked out. ;)

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

There is a difference between people not wanting to hear Christmas music and people being upset by it.

Either way, I find it funny that folks would get upset over holiday music. I've been exposed to worse music and I'm doing just fine. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The owner walks around with a baseball bat asking the customers if everything tastes good.

Classic :thu:

Remind me to eat down the street instead. :eek:

The guy is just a goof. Everyone likes him and his food. He'll also come to your table and either ask if the people at the table next to you are bothering you or vice versa. I just had "chicken on rice". Sounds basic and simple, but man is it good...some tahini sauce (or whatever it is) on top and it's just awesome.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Archived