Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ever think of covering the brand name on your gear?

Sparky2

Anyone else feel like we are being taken advantage of by giving free advertising on our keyboard rigs? It seems like the company/brand logos are getting larger and more visible while very few players are actually getting endorsements. Lately I've been quite tempted to break out the black gaffers tape and just cover them up. Anyone else felt this way? Just curious.

Mark

"Think Pink Floyd are whiny old men? No Problem. Turn em off and enjoy the Miley Cyrus remix featuring Pitbull." - Cygnus64

Life is shorter than you think...make it count.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't just feel that way; it's been my standard practice for years.

Started in worship ministry in the church I helped plant a decade ago. All the "product placement" was visually distracting, so I unscrewed the "Roland" off the KC grills and gaffed over the big "Kurzweil" on the K2600.

After that it was sort of an addiction. But I'm taking pills and getting shots.

I just figure when KurzKawaiYamaKorgRoland start paying me to play their gear, the tape will come off.

Exactly. I also think we might get into more gear talk at a gig if it's not so obvious what we are playing.

A little tougher to cover the Dave Smith blinking blue LEDs and the bright blue card slot on the PC3x may need to be painted with nail polish or something.

Mark

"Think Pink Floyd are whiny old men? No Problem. Turn em off and enjoy the Miley Cyrus remix featuring Pitbull." - Cygnus64

Every time I buy a new car I take the manufacturers name off because it isn't right to let the world know I am driving a Lamborghini.

Free advertising, you know?

It's a b@#tch changing the door hinges though, isn't it?

Mark

The only time I thought of covering the brand name was when considering the hypothetical purchase of a Casio Privia if my Yamaha P120 were to die definitively.

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

I don't mind the logos or feel taken advantage of. I have worked at a couple of churches who have asked me to gaff them over, though, and I have to admit, I like the flat black look. Now if I could just get my cables a little neater...

I don't mind letting people know what I'm using. Musicians know what it means, and the general public doesn't know or care what Korg or Hammond is. They just care that it sounds good.

I did remove the Yamaha name plate from my old CP70B. I put it back on upside down to see how many people paid attention to it. Turned out to be about .01%. So why bother putting tape over the logo. No one cares.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I don't mind the brand names. In fact, I think that if I've purchased an instrument and I'm using it, it's right to let others know what it is. Incidentally, this practice over the years has brought good relationships with music stores and some manufacturers too, which in turn has brought some good deals on new instruments. :)

I don't think Horowitz has ever thought of removing the words "Steinway & Sons" from his piano. :D

BTW, covering instrument names is common practice on tv.

The only instrument I own on which I could think of covering the brand name, is the Casio CDP-100... but I doubt I'd ever use it live.

I don't cover my keyboard logos.

I don't cover my home appliance logos.

I don't cover my audio/video component logos either.

Status.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Yamaha Montage M7, Nord Electro 6D, Hammond XK1c, Dave Smith PolyEvolver & Rack, Moog Voyager,  Modal Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I haven't noticed many drummers nor guitar or bass players with this problem.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Musicians cover up logos to prevent free advertisement. Manufacturers got hip to the game.

That is why it is easy to spot a Korg X50 or Nord Electro in a 1/10th of a second without seeing a logo. ;)

I've never covered the logo. Didn't want tape goo affecting the trade/re-sale value. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I cover my logo with a giant swatch. It doesn't leave that gummy residue that tape does.

http://www.elzeonline.com/Pics/stratford.jpg

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I don't mind the brand names. In fact, I think that if I've purchased an instrument and I'm using it, it's right to let others know what it is. Incidentally, this practice over the years has brought good relationships with music stores and some manufacturers too, which in turn has brought some good deals on new instruments. :)

Same thoughts here...I understand why people do it and it makes sense, but I wouldn't do it as I like people to know what I'm playing.

I don't cover them but most stagehands put black gaffer's tape on them now. I don't know why but something's changed. Last week, they even covered our amp nameplates.

I just leave it on now because I think it makes it worse to keep taping and untaping the damn things.

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. W. C. Fields

I would not let someone put tape on my gear. We are the same people posting in the They say keyboard players are... picky. thread...

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I did put a sticker over the "Radio Shack" logo on my old Casio CDP 100. But I don't have that inclination now to cover the Casio label if I bought a new one. (the Radio Shack special is now dead).

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Anyone else feel like we are being taken advantage of by giving free advertising on our keyboard rigs? It seems like the company/brand logos are getting larger and more visible while very few players are actually getting endorsements. Lately I've been quite tempted to break out the black gaffers tape and just cover them up. Anyone else felt this way? Just curious.

Mark

Do you cover/unscrew the brand logo on your car? The TV set?

I use great gear and want people to know it. I don't mind RolKorg getting free ad because I feel that products I use are great.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

I cover my logo with a giant swatch.

Which would be in keeping with your band theme, of course... :D

Of course, I cover the Swatch logo with tape so as not to give them any free advertising. (joking)

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I have worked at a couple of churches who have asked me to gaff them over, though,

That's odd.

We've never had that request from any place our band played (including churches).

:P

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I was formerly chief engineer of a TV station. It is relatively common now in TV productions for a contract somewhere to require that all products have names covered (unless said product company has purchased the right to display the name).

I don't really agree with that practice, but would comply if it meant the difference in doing the gig or not. To me, it is an individual choice. (after the first pos amplifier that I bought in the early days of playing bass guitar, I resolved to never again buy something that I wasn't at least proud enough to not mind the name.)

I don't mind my gear having name disclosed; but I'm picky (see the separate picky thread) about my clothes. I don't wear someone else's logo and PAY for the so called privilege of advertising their product. A lot of my playing is in churches and outreach; but, so far, I've never been asked to cover a logo. If such happens, I'll do it, not worth hassling over.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I have worked at a couple of churches who have asked me to gaff them over, though,

That's odd.

We've never had that request from any place our band played (including churches).

:P

It makes sense in a way. In a church service, you're trying to create a 'sacred space' type of environment in which people can go deep without distractions. That's what we call it in Unity churches, anyway. It helps if all of the elements in the room are visually coherent.

Archived