Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

OK, the links to my audio files should work again now.

The links to the pdf leadsheets - not yet.

The guy who was supposed to 'help' with my site's layout has done a complete disaster, messing up the whole thing big time.

I'm trying to fix it a bit at a time, among 10000 other things... aaarrgghh.

Well, the mp3s are there at least. :)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also pretty busy these days - headed out of town today.

I hope to add more to this most important thread.

Thanks, Dave (welcome back) and Carlo. I look forward to any new stuff from you guys. Hope others will add some things too.

In any event, it's been a great run. I posted the last two pieces (deleted one) so I'll defer now to anybody who has the time/interest to contribute the next.

The give and take is what mainly interests me. Any new ideas may motivate me to try more too.

I took three weeks off from the piano (wife's vacation) and am back to practicing. This is my third day back and I'm not too far from where I was before the vacation.

I hope to add something within a week or so - I'm Old Fashioned perhaps - nothing too creative, just a play through.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I couldn't let this great thread, started by the venerable SK slip back to page 3 on the forum. Also, SK and Ferris have been on my case (in a nice way) to post something here - so here goes.

It's not a major reharm like some of you guys have done - in fact I would call it a reharmless. I altered a few chords on the solo piano intro. Of possible interest to some, is that for the trio section I used the new "real instrument" feature of the program Band-in-a-Box by PGMusic. These are actual musicians playing drums and an upright bass but all programmed through Band-in-a-Box - pretty cool and a nice way to practice.

Listen and watch here: (this is the STEREO link)

... We're sorry, this video is no longer available.

.... suggestions?

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I tried Opera and after several attempts got the video to appear.

Nice playing!

I may buy BIAB to make my practicing more interesting.

Roger - thanks man! Good voicings in the intro and nice loose feel on the solo. You've got your own thing going on there.

The BIAB rhythm section is pretty authentic, and you always work so well with tracks.

Dave, I'm starting to wonder if it's a setting on your computer or in YouTube preferences that is the culprit. I had no problem with the link.

SK, I spent a lot of time trying to solve this problem and had no success. I have this problem on two different computers. I jumped through all the hoops given to me by YouTube and still can not view all videos.

I would be interested in knowing more about BIAB and what modules I should consider purchasing. Is it out of place to ask this here?

Thanks guys. I'll answer questions about the video here -

Viscant: The virtual keyboard is part of the PGMusic software program "PowerTracks Pro". I recorded the track to a MIDI file using PowerTracks and then did a screen capture of the file being played on the virtual keyboard using a program called Camtasia. I then resized it and lined it up during video editing in Adobe Premiere Elements.

D. Horne: The new BIAB program called "Real Band" is probably the way to go. It combines BIAB with PowerTracks. I picked-up the "Real Drums" 17 and 18 and "Real Tracks" set 7 - Acoustic bass and Sax.

Dave,

Thanks for this man! I'm, believe it or not, still working on it. I have the head line and chords AND the solo as Bud played it note for note (as best as I could) over the changes. I have the section after the head also but only as a single note line and need to play it as you have in block or drop two (I believe that's what you were doing) and I've improvised over the tune alittle.

If I can muster up the time and guts, I'll try a post alittle of it! Nice tempo! As usual super!

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Given my lack of time to work on new tunes, I'm going to post, with many regrets, this live trio version of Cole Porter's "I Love You".

It's not a good performance at all: First, we couldn't hear each other very well onstage, so there's rhythm sloppiness everywhere; plus, the piano was awfully (un)regulated, out of tune and quite difficult to play.

I've played this arrangement live many times, but unfortunately, this is the only recording I have. :freak:

As I said in a previous post, I took extreme liberties with this song; since Porter himself seemed a bit cynical in describing its birth, I felt free to treat it in a sort of humorous way... except the third section, which I left untouched. :)

So here it is:

I Love You

So here it is:

I Love You

Cool concept for that tune, Carlo

"Bouncing with Bud" by Bud Powell.

http://www.divshare.com/download/5204789-507

Dave, that was very nice. That's a tune I like playing, too. I made a trio recording of it back in 2003. You took a lot of very nice chances in your rendition of it, and took it a bit 'out'. This version's more "straight ahead", but I think it swings pretty good.

RW Bouncin w/Bud

Very good, Floyd; the whole trio plays with gusto and good timing. :)

Guys and girls, forgive me, but I've removed the audio of "I Love You". I wanted to post something at all costs... but that recording was an imbarassment to me. I still like the arrangement, but the performance and recording were so awful that I couldn't stand listening to it, let alone having others listening. :freak:

I'll wait until I have something more substantial, ok?

Btw I'm working on finishing two CDs, so at the worst, I'll post something from those when they're done... but I strongly hope that before that, I'll find the time to create something specifically for the thread.

In the meantime - keep the reharm room alive!

:):thu:

Marino,

I dug 'I Love You' anyway, I liked the energy of it regardless of your trepidations. Nice to hear the trio!

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Marino,

I dug 'I Love You' anyway, I liked the energy of it regardless of your trepidations. Nice to hear the trio!

lb

You're really too kind, Legato - I shouldn't have posted that in the first place. It was a bad concert for various reasons, and that was about the worst played theme in the concert. :freak:

Btw the trio album will be the first one to come out (cross fingers), so hopefully, I'll soon be able to show its real capabilities soon. :)

So here it is:

I Love You

....am getting a "page cannot be found" error for this.

Marino has deleted the file, see above.

Woke up dis mornin', feelin' blue... so here's a version of Perdido. The mission to annoy every professional musician continues :D

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

Mo 'Wurst, would it be possible to play it slower. I have more time to waste than most.