Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ProfD and LB, thanks for listening. Glad you liked it. Apparently, the recording is not too bad, but...

Without my reference headphones I'm lost, so I'm going by "feel" on the mix.

Through my half decent studio monitors it sounds a little dull and murky, which usually means too much bass. Through my 3 driver Westone in-earphones it sounds perfect, but they tend to obscure deep bass. So for you or anyone else who may listen, here's a very short questionaire I've diligently prepared for you over the past 30 seconds:

1. Is the sound 'bottom heavy' - like a blanket of bass underneath?

s. Is the bass too boomy, or too thin, or clear with a full tone?

3. Is the piano upfront or in the background?

:)

What I'm hoping for is the bass is clear and resonant throughout, with the piano slightly in the foreground. I'm either on the cusp of a decent recording, or a boring, FM radio sound with bass boost.

Thanks a lot, in advance, for anyone taking part in this survey.

• 2 weeks later...

David, I really enjoyed your impro; as Dave Ferris said, the new piano seems to have inspired you to new levels of concentration and musicality.

I also have to thank you for reminding me of how long has passed since I did something similar. Too many duties in my life lately; no time to relax and just having a bit improvising fun. I do it just at gigs, for intros and transitions...

But tonight, inspired by your tune, I just sat at the keyboard and mucked around for a few minutes. Here is the humble result... just random wandering up and down the keys, really, but it started some little wheel spinning again. Thank you! :)

Thanks guys, glad you liked my tune.

Carlos wow your impro was great, loved it. Amazing fluency in your playing.

I am so into doing free improvisation at the moment, every day I do at least an hour just on that. I find it amazing that when I try to play without having any idea of what is coming next the ideas just seem to pop out of nowhere.

Very fluent, strong playing, Carlo, and nice twists of mood.

I find it amazing that when I try to play without having any idea of what is coming next the ideas just seem to pop out of nowhere.

Know what you mean, BB. I "live" there much of the time, and maybe too much - sometimes it's hard to call 'tunes' on a gig when I just want to play something freely. I'll add another thanks for providing some musical juice to the thread and the players here.

To the guy who posted the photos - thanks for bumping the thread :rolleyes: but this is an a-political forum. So reharming Bush into Obama is not the kind of transformation we enjoy here.

Thanks for the kind words everybody - but my thing was nothing, really. Just a bunch of colors thrown there without much organic thinking. But it triggered the impro thing again, and a certain way to play with concentration and intensity.

David, I really enjoyed your impro; as Dave Ferris said, the new piano seems to have inspired you to new levels of concentration and musicality.

I also have to thank you for reminding me of how long has passed since I did something similar. Too many duties in my life lately; no time to relax and just having a bit improvising fun. I do it just at gigs, for intros and transitions...

But tonight, inspired by your tune, I just sat at the keyboard and mucked around for a few minutes. Here is the humble result... just random wandering up and down the keys, really, but it started some little wheel spinning again. Thank you! :)

That was beautiful Carlo!

• 1 month later...

I need some help with the B part of My funny Valentine, it's very repetitious and I thought it might help with a little reharm to emphasize the upward movement

I play something like

//Ebmaj Dm7b5 G/Bb11 Bbm7 Am7b5/

/Eb13b5 Cm7 Bb9 Gm7/Abmaj G7#5 Gm7/

/F#m7#5 Eb:Bb Bbm11 Gm7/ Abmaj Bbm7 Am7b5/

/ Abmaj /G7#5/

Note: Eb/Bb i notified Eb:Bb

[video:youtube]

Happy for every input --sorry for the lame playing and the crappy sound quality

/Fred

Fred, this is the original idea I had for this thread - sharing chord ideas on existing tunes.

When I get time, I'll try to record some things, but basically it's your choice of any cycle of 5th progressions (or whatever sounds good) leading back to Ebmaj.7 each time. The last time resolves to Cm, and then moves to Abmaj.7 from there.

Like: /Cm B7 Bb-7 A7/ Abmaj.7/D-7 G7/Cm(last A section)

Happy birthday Steve! Keep doing this thing you do - we all enjoy it. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Okay, we will celebrate it for you then. :thu: Have a great gig!

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I like it, even the guest appearance at the end. :)

(what piano and version are you using on the Stage? Something sounds funny in the range of around F to C above middle C.)

Cheers,

Yeah, I was bit surprised by Hugo showing up like that..but he looked quite happy

I use Yamaha studiogrand 2xl , for some reason it sounded differently when I recorded it into iMovie, like it was doubled. I think also the mid was set to -2dB which made it sound a bit thin. I just listened to it on youtube it doesn't sound like the version I have on Imovie.

/Fred

Okay, then it could be some issue with compression or something like that. I was just wondering if it was one of those "characteristics" we sometimes hear people complain about with some DPs.

• 2 weeks later...

A sample of a dark bossa, from memory, written long ago by friend Tom Garvin, who was mentioned in another thread. I never had a "mentor", but he probably came closest to being one for me.

I'm not trying to play much on this here.. just did a rough take for levels. Nice progression though. I might post it later after I play something on it.

http://www.divshare.com/download/12403829-98c