Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

You don't need lessons to play well

keysplease

Not many of us here are as talented as Paul McCartney, and others mentioned. For us mortals, "we" needed lessens. I could use some more, actually. Piano lessons gave me the basics, and helped me learn how to read music. I'm not a fast sight reader, but I can get through a piece and figure out what the composer is trying to "say". Obviously, more extensive classical pieces require great sight reading and memorizing, but the places I play don't request classical music. :/

It's still rock 'n roll to me. :snax:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.ugo.com/filmtv/top11-classicrock/images/apocnow.jpg

"...one day, we marched into a village of children. We gave them lessons. As we left, I saw their parents hacking their John W. Schaum Piano Course books to pieces with machetes...THE HORROR.........The HORROR...! (D.H., somewhere in Cambodia)

Here's a photo taken at the secret Daimler Chrysler Stock Holders meeting

http://www.dudehisattva.com/qaedachrysler.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------

007: I have you now BloHard!

Dave: Aha! I have my Spectre cool sunglasses and jetpack so here's mud in your eye capitalist pig!

http://www.carbuyersnotebook.com/archives/Zetsche_Connery.jpg

If this doesn't work I don't know what will ;)

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!

Thank you Bill! I knew that pic of Horne looked familiar, but I could not think of who it was.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Player pianos are a fine substitute for the machine-like pianist that simply plays notes off of a written page, not unlike the talking heads on TV that read whatever drivel is on their teleprompters. However, I find you can't beat the stellar quality of mp3s.

*talk about pouring gasoline on the fire!*

I guess I have a clue.

Think about the timing...now look at the picture of three pages back...consider Mr. Horne's obsession with bikes and fitness...

That's it. Dave Horne is Santa :idea:!

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

So, what is with this guy and The Doors? hahaha./ RAY IS GOD
Ray is OK - there's plenty of other folks as good or better...

Thank goodness for Ray. His was the ideal keyboard style to help a young classical geek (me) enter the world of no written notes and improvisation. I think if I had tried to transition from Rachmaninoff straight to Jimmy Smith my head would have exploded.

Moe

---

Guys, I don't like this thread, therefore it's worthless.

I would've thought by now you'd have moved on to something a little more, how shall I put it, more refined?

(sorry Dave :P , where are you? Can't you tell we're missing you? :) )

C major is the best key... why can't all music be in C major?

For all the other keys, just remember "thumbs on black"

More notes = better music... few people understand this. I'm probably the best musician I know or have heard about.

Is this thing turned on?

DH is feverishly sequencing the entire Great American Songbook on his CP300, transferring files between the KB and new computer, burning CDs and gigging with mp3 backing tracks and grand piano running through his Bose system. :laugh:

C'mon back buddy. This place is a little different when folks like yourself decide to go on hiatus. Hope all of you return in 2008. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Oh, and one more thing... No pain, no gain! If you don't feel pain in your forearms, you're not practicing hard enough. Don't be a wimp!
Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Why would you bother with Hanon studies when you could just program the parts into a sequencer? Plus, you can throw away your metronome now that we have the quantize feature.

Think about it. No one is going to need pianists or organists once all Classical music is loaded into Apple Loops.

;)

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Archived