Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

You don't need lessons to play well

keysplease

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Dave is on Holiday, that's vacation to Americans.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

The RMI Electra-Piano has the most realistic piano tones of any instrument made - ever.

Including a real piano.

Yeah. I said it.

A RMI sounds better than a real piano.

(That should do it.) :evil:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Still no luck, hmmm...

Let's try this: The Great American Songbook is nothing more than a collection of mindless, unimaginative drivel! For the finest and most historically significant American music, look no further than The Doors.

If that doesn't do it, I'm filing a missing person report with the Dutch government.

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

That's funny, that page says Dave looks like this,

http://members.home.nl/davehorne/photos/Horne/davehorne.jpg

but I always thought he looked like this

32.jpg

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Just to try to bring this thread to somewhere where we actually discuss the topic:

There are a great many number of famous musicians who are SELF TAUGHT.

Most notably, the great Frederic Chopin was in fact a self taught pianist (he only studied composition).

Jaco Pastorius was 'formally self taught' (lol),

Paul McCartney, who plays quite a lot of instruments damn well, was self-taught.

Thad Jones, Duke Ellington, the list goes on and on...

Ergo, 'playing well' it not exclusive to those who had lessons with a teacher.

Like many others I've talked to, I feel most of my practical playing knowledge is self-taught, the teachers I have studied with more 'set me on the right path' more than anything. In the realm of technique though I would agree a teacher is very important....

Just to try to bring this thread to somewhere where we actually discuss the topic:

There are a great many number of famous musicians who are SELF TAUGHT.

Most notably, the great Frederic Chopin was in fact a self taught pianist (he only studied composition).

Jaco Pastorius was 'formally self taught' (lol),

Paul McCartney, who plays quite a lot of instruments damn well, was self-taught.

Thad Jones, Duke Ellington, the list goes on and on...

Ergo, 'playing well' it not exclusive to those who had lessons with a teacher.

Like many others I've talked to, I feel most of my practical playing knowledge is self-taught, the teachers I have studied with more 'set me on the right path' more than anything. In the realm of technique though I would agree a teacher is very important....

Yeah, but can any of those guys play with the least amount of effort?

Another try:

Not only do you not need lessons, but you don't need to know how to read sheet music AT ALL either.

Some other possibiliies:

Mustaches are for pansies!

If you don't record your music, then it never happened!

Why the hell would an American want to live in another country?

It always sounds better electrifed and amped!

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Archived