Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Joe Zawinul ??

SpaceNorman

I receive regular news headlines via my pager - and received one this morning stating that "Joe Zawinul, a leading force in "electric jazz" movement, hospitalized in Vienna". I've been scanning headlines on the web - but haven't seen anything more. Anybody hear anything about JZ taking ill?
The SpaceNorman :freak:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ohh! No. Didn't want to hear that. If you go to Google and click on News and type in Zawinul you get this story in a range of reputable papers/agencies.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUKL0788055320070807

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/08/07/arts/EU-A-E-MUS-Austria-Zawinul.php

:(

No word on whether this is something minor or more serious though.

Edit: Oops, sorry Marino. Looks like we were typing at the same time.

Larry.

No problem. I'll copy my post here, for the sake of continuity:

From wtopnews.com:

VIENNA, Austria (AP) - Joe Zawinul, who performed and recorded with Miles Davis, has been hospitalized with an undisclosed illness, officials said Tuesday.

Zawinul, 75, was admitted to Vienna's Wilhelmina Clinic on Sunday, the Viennese Hospital Association said.

The group declined to confirm reports by Austrian public broadcaster ORF that Zawinul was seriously ill, saying the musician had requested that his rights as a patient and a private person be respected.

More recent news gathered from the net seem to clarify that Joe is not in immediate danger of life, but that his illness is "serious" nonetheless.

I've seen Joe performing less than two weeks ago - it was the Syndicate 20th anniversary tour. Joe had difficulties to walk properly, and his face looked pale. In spite of this, he played like a demon.

I would have liked to exchange a few words with him, but right after the concert he was taken away.

Though I have no idea what kind of illness Joe has, or how serious it is - please let's all direct our thoughts to him, OK?

Carlo

Interesting to note that none of the news releases about Joe even mention that he was also in Cannonball Adderly's band and Joe is the one playing electric piano on Mercy, Mercy, Mercy, one of the great all-time jazz classics. The song was also turned into a Top 40 hit with lyrics added. Joe plays Mercy, Mercy, Mercy in the key of Bflat...why? Because he can and the sound in that key still gives me chills. And who can ever forget Cannonball's intro to the song..."You know sometimes we not prepared for adversity, and when it happens sometimes we just don't know how to handle it. But I got some advice for us all and I got it from my piano player Mr. Joe Zawinul who wrote this song that sounds sometime like you feel... it's called Mercy, Mercy, Mercy."

Oh man, I really hope that he´s gonna be OK.

I was really looking forward to see him in Sweden in November, but that of course suddenly became very unimportant compared to him getting well.

Though I have no idea what kind of illness Joe has, or how serious it is - please let's all direct our thoughts to him, OK?

Carlo

Of course we will.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

'Postmoderism' sucks without a doubt! trendoid banter by robots!

Bb really! I loved his Third Stream solo album, - special! Plus alot of the electric stuff! Say a prayer!

lb

Interesting to note that none of the news releases about Joe even mention that he was also in Cannonball Adderly's band and Joe is the one playing electric piano on Mercy, Mercy, Mercy, one of the great all-time jazz classics. The song was also turned into a Top 40 hit with lyrics added. Joe plays Mercy, Mercy, Mercy in the key of Bflat...why? Because he can and the sound in that key still gives me chills. And who can ever forget Cannonball's intro to the song..."You know sometimes we not prepared for adversity, and when it happens sometimes we just don't know how to handle it. But I got some advice for us all and I got it from my piano player Mr. Joe Zawinul who wrote this song that sounds sometime like you feel... it's called Mercy, Mercy, Mercy."

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I heard "Birdland" the first time on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert.

The next day I had my first copy of Heavy Weather.

All our thoughts and prayers go out to you, Joe, for a speedy recovery.

Edited:

After checking, it was on Midnight Special Episode 207 on 6/10/1977. They did "Birdland" and "Teen Town".

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

+1. Agreed. Yes. Most excellent. :thu:

I play this tune. In Bb. I try to do it justice because it is a classic with lots of history.

Bb. Don't play it in any other key. It just won't have a snowball's chance in Hell to sound proper.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

The LoneSharks play it in G....I like that for obvious reasons!

As a kid, we played it in C!

Any update on Joe Z . . . . .?

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Posted an hour ago on AllAboutJazz.com (emphasis mine):

Mr Zawinul asked to be hospitalised Sunday at the end of his tour, said the Wilhelminenspital spokesperson, citing a statement from the musician.

. . . and . . .

The Austrian press reported he was being treated in the hospital's oncology department.

:eek::(

The Austrian press reported he was being treated in the hospital's oncology department.

:eek::(

Oncology? :o

Not good at all. :cry:

Let's hope they can arrest the problem.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Gracias! He obviously has a tumor somewhere!

lb

I should have checked here sooner, not that we learn much more . . . (from www.zawinulonline.org)

"

The Associated Press reported this morning that Joe Zawinul was admitted to a hospital in Vienna for an undisclosed illness. The group declined to confirm reports by Austrian public broadcaster ORF that Zawinul was seriously ill, saying the musician had requested that his rights as a patient and a private person be respected. ORF later reported that there is no mortal danger to Zawinul.

Joe recently concluded a six-week European tour. During the tour his physical condition became noticeable to fans, as he required a wheelchair to get to the stage and was unable to stand to introduce the band members as he customarily does. A report by Marco Piretti on the Zawinul Fans mailing list indicated that Joes playing was top notch during a recent performance in Italy, but that he appeared to be exhausted afterwards and had lost weight. Another Zawinul Online visitor reported that at the August 1 Zawinul Syndicate concert in Hungary, Wayne Shorter joined Joe on stage to play a spontaneous, improvised ballad.

Joe is in our thoughts and prayers, and we hope for a full recovery and many more years of music."

Strange... a friend who did the sound for one of Joe's concerts sent me a photo he snapped of him backstage before the concert, about 2 or 3 months ago.

He looked great in the closeup, just maybe a little thin. So I'm guessing his health must have gone down quite a bit in a short time.

Hope he pulls through this.

My prayers and thoughts are for him as well. I have been practicing some of his material every day for the last couple of months preparing for the tribute band, and it's been endlessly inspiring. He's one of the greats, and I pray for a speedu recovery.

BTW, Alfonso, I LOVE that photo. Those 2600's are so sexy! The maestro at work...

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Archived