Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Forum

Whether it's info on a scale or mode, advice on buying that new effect pedal, or just a good discussion about guitars, this forum is the place for you. Our own little virtual pub. Come on in and stay a while...

The Guitar Forum.jpg

34,180 topics in this forum

1. Comp CD for us? 1 2

• 58 replies
    • 1 reply
  2. Frets too high?

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 128 replies
    • 4.9k views
  3. Sonny Landreth

• 5 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 14 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 16 replies
    • 12 replies
  4. MXR flanger-S.O.S.

• 3 replies
  5. Lenny Breau

• 3 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 14 replies
  6. Bill Frisell

• 7 replies
    • 81 replies
    • 2.2k views
    • 19 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 31 replies
    • 7 replies
  7. Happy Birthday!

• 9 replies
  8. Guitar Amp Advice

• 11 replies
  9. Seven thousand!

• 3 replies
  10. Who Won?

• 11 replies
    • 14 replies
    • 15 replies
  11. Hey, Lee....!!!

• 13 replies
  12. The Chairman on R&R

• 16 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 0 replies
  13. Intonation problems?

• 24 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 5 replies
  • Trending posts on MPN

• I agree.  I have a CK88 I purchased a few weeks ago and, no matter how much I EQ and mess with it, the ride cymbal is barely detectable on the A. Bass +cymbal patch. Like you, I have a P121 and the ride cymbal is much more prominent on the equivalent patch.   Perhaps it can be corrected in a future update (?).    Another item of possible interest is that I currently have three Yamaha boards with GHS action, a P121, MX88 and now a CK88.  For me, the action on all three is very different with the P121 being best for piano and the MX88 being best for synth /organ. Unless it breaks in over time, IMO the CK88's action lags the other two in both categories.     I would add that, IMO, although I really like the CK's AP and EP sounds, many of its other sounds (e.g. guitars, wood winds, strings, basses, etc.) are not of the same quality as on the MX88.  Having said this, the CK's Nord-like interface is far better for live gigging than the interface on the MX88.  Using software like Vycro MX or John Melas', it's worth noting MX has far deeper editing capability than the CK.     WRG to the CK88's B3 emulation, although certainly not top shelf, IMO it's usable for comping / pads in a loud band mix.  I wouldn't want to use it in for upfront soloing which I frequently do on gigs with my SK1 and NE 5d. Having said that, I hate playing organ solos on hammer action and/or non-waterfall keys anyway. Of course, for the price of a couple of beers, it's easy enough add an app like VBm3 to the CK with a single USB cable and get a much better B3 emulation. 
    • From All About Jazz so before commenting remember it's a Jazz website.    Link to Ten Supreme Fender Rhodes albums:
    • The perfect opportunity to quote Jake Blues..."Two thousand for this chunk of shit?"
    • Change the name to Boombox Heroes and register it--if it's not already taken by the other Boombox Illiterates
    • My favorite story along these lines is from the 60's and the big East LA  known for Chicano rock originally named "The Midniters".   They got sued by "Hank Ballard and the Midnighters"  because name was too similar.   So to resolve the issue the East LA band changed their name to  "Thee Midniters" and I guess that was enough for the court.   So they would joke now people we know are THEE Midniters!.      Thee Midniters have gone through a lot a band member changes over the decades but are still around playing Low Rider events.        
  • In MPN’s GEARLAB

• Come join MPN’s Clubs!

• Blog Entries