Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Amp Advice

rebonn

What I'm really looking for is an Ampeg half stack, but can't seem to find one, even on the Ampeg site. I only saw and heard one once playing out which the guitar player of the other band had one. I think it had AMPEG lit up on the front of the head.

Anyone know the name and or model # ?

Also, I'm looking into perhaps a Carvin MT3200 tube head and cab.

Any recommendations on this amp or any other crunching bad ass amp ?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Ampeg VT-22 is a nasty dirty beast. They don't make them anymore but they're not high ticket collectibles. My old bass player had one which we used for guitar sometimes and it really got dirty. Look around you should be able to find one. I'd take it over a Carvin personally.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

It is a Reverberockets R-5OH. It is a 5O watt head. There are 2 cabinets for it: R412TA/BA (an angled front cabinet and a straight front cabinet like Marshalls). They have the blue diamond Tolex. A lot of times Ampeg will make recent discontinued items on special order. Have your Ampeg dealer call and ask. Ampeg did alot of stupid things about 2 years ago when they discontinued this amp and the V4B (a folded horn cabinet with 1 15"s), the SVT18E, and their 4 space classic Tolex rack enclosure.

Buddy

Originally posted by lrbreez:

It is a Reverberockets R-5OH. It is a 5O watt head. There are 2 cabinets for it: R412TA/BA (an angled front cabinet and a straight front cabinet like Marshalls). They have the blue diamond Tolex. A lot of times Ampeg will make recent discontinued items on special order. Have your Ampeg dealer call and ask. Ampeg did alot of stupid things about 2 years ago when they discontinued this amp and the V4B (a folded horn cabinet with 1 15"s), the SVT18E, and their 4 space classic Tolex rack enclosure.

Buddy

The R-50H and R-412TA are still in production.

Just special ordered them from Guitar Center for $1,100.

I guess that's a good price considering tube Marshall stacks

go for more.

Anyway, thanks for the info. It's exactly what I was looking for.

rebonn

Ampeg did alot of stupid things about 2 years ago when they discontinued this amp and the V4B (a folded horn cabinet with 1 15"s), the SVT18E, and their 4 space classic Tolex rack enclosure.

If Ampeg's products and strategy seems out of line with what you'd expect from the historic and respected company that built a solid reputation in the 60's and 70's, it's because Ampeg is really just St. Louis Music, aka CRATE.

Tedster- HeHe- Actually I had my own Roadies then. Enjoying that VT-22? I occasionally give those little Ampeg Jet Reissues the eye. Looks like it could be a cool amp for small clubs or a jam session. The question is how do you get one in the house without your wife knowing?

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Archived