Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lenny Breau

gtrmac

Have you heard Lenny Breau? Lenny was one of the greatest guitarists that ever lived. He was originally trained as a classical guitarist and he eventually beagan playing Jazz. He applied the techniques he acquired from classical training to his Jazz style which made him totally unique. Usually he played a seven string solid body electric which was custon made for him. I used to read articles about him in Guitar Player Magazine years ago and he was often described as the greatest unknown Jazz Guitarist in the world. I had an LP of his called "The Velvet Touch Of Lenny Breau" which I found in the discount bin at a Walmart for $1.99. It knocked me out when I brought it home and listened to it. I saw Lenny play in New York quite by accident. I was walking past a small Jazz club in the Village and happened to see a sign on the door that said he was appearing there that night. I called up a couple friends that played guitar and we went to the club that night. He played solo, on his seven string electric and also on seven string classical acoustic to an audience of about ten people. It goes without saying that it was great. He died under "mysterious circumstances" a few years later. If you've heard of him but never heard him or if you want to get some of his recordings here's a link: http://www.enter.net/~rainsong/lbreau.html If you like Jazz guitar I promise you won't be dissapointed. Chet Atkins heard Lenny play and invited him to Nashville so that Chet could take some lessons from him just to give you an idea of his skill. There are some recordings from this period, which I have, but the "Velvet Touch" is still my favorite, it's a live recording by the way.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have yet to hear Lenny's playing! It's high on my list though, as I ran into Doyle Dykes a year and a half ago.

You'd LOVE Doyle's playing (Windham Hill) as he has actively learned some of Lenny's most beautiful techniques, and is a unique genius on the guitar as well. Check out "Nothing's Too Good For A Friend" on the Taylor Guitars/Windham Hill release, Sounds of Wood & Steel. (vol. 1)

I have to go visit the library and check out some CD's!

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived