Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

I cannot relate to all the above comments, since to my ears HX3 sounds full....fat and balsy....transparent I would use to describe my Numa organ.

I have run both of them trough the ventilator and a leslie and the sound of the HX3 is well.....thicker in every thinkable band context.

The HX3 top ocatve is still above the compitition where it has that extreme abilty to cut through any rock sound wall without ever becoming shrill.

I have watched all available Mojo vids and althaugh it has a warm jazz sound it becomes thin when used in rock settings.

Of course an online video isn't a good criteria, but it is something i can clearly hear in all Mojo examples...the top ocatve sounds a tad thin and shrill compared to the HX3.

Besides that i think the keyclick is absolutely killer on the HX3.....something i dig because i rarely use percussion.

I am eagerly looking forward to try out the Mojo at the coming Messe.Credit where credit is due and when it does surprise me in a good way beyond what i hear online I will consider the Mojo, because of it's supposedly superiour keybed.....

I just got the HX3 this week and will do an A/B comparison it to my Hammond SK1 this afternoon. I'm also interested in how it compares to the Mojo, keep the reviews coming guys!

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

vanderSchoot, I totally agree with you on your impression. I am not a jazz organ player, but when I first used my HX3 with the progressive rock band I am playing with the other members of the band told me they never ever heard a Hammond simulator cutting through like this. In fact, after I bought the HX3 I for the first time no longer miss the old worn A100 I used to haul around for years. Transparent is not a word that comes to my mind when I describe the sound of the HX3. To me it sounds just like a rock organ is supposed to sound. Full and dirty and with a tone that cuts through just about anything. At least I am happy.

CP4 - Solaris - Kurzweil Forte - Minimoog -

- Mellotron M4000Dm - Motif rackXS - DX5 - SY99 - Rhodes 73 - HX3 - Hammond B3/2x147 - Montage7

vanderSchoot, I totally agree with you on your impression. I am not a jazz organ player, but when I first used my HX3 with the progressive rock band I am playing with the other members of the band told me they never ever heard a Hammond simulator cutting through like this. In fact, after I bought the HX3 I for the first time no longer miss the old worn A100 I used to haul around for years. Transparent is not a word that comes to my mind when I describe the sound of the HX3. To me it sounds just like a rock organ is supposed to sound. Full and dirty and with a tone that cuts through just about anything. At least I am happy.

This could have been something I had written !! :)

This could have been something I had written !! :)

Me too !

;-)

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Me to!

Can somebody help me out with my HX3? I'm not getting any audio output from Audio Out 1. I tried different audio output configurations in the menu with no results. I'm trying to run a true stereo output into my mixing board with both channels panned left/right. Hope I didn't get a defective unit!

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

HX3 must be a ''North Western Europian'' thing of preference.....those commenting in an extremely positively fashion are from Norway (twice) ,Germany and The Netherlands :keynana:

Seriously there is some sort of pattern over the years....could it be a slightly continental difference ?

Can somebody help me out with my HX3? I'm not getting any audio output from Audio Out 1. I tried different audio output configurations in the menu with no results. I'm trying to run a true stereo output into my mixing board with both channels panned left/right. Hope I didn't get a defective unit!

Nothing here of any help ?

http://wiki.keyboardpartner.de/index.php?title=HX3_MenuPanel

Yes, I discussed this a few weeks back with Tom (Diversi).

It seems that there are different tastes between europe and north america.

Darker, smoother: US

Brighter, more bite: Europe

maybe.... ???

;-))

polkahero,

did you choose "Rotary L/R" in the config ?

Andre,

are you at Musikmesse?

Thinking about to visit Messe this year....

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Nothing here of any help ?

http://wiki.keyboardpartner.de/index.php?title=HX3_MenuPanel

Slightly. . .Looks like the Leslie L/R is summed to one output? Seems complicated with all the different configurations, maybe a case of German overengineering? :laugh:

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Yes, I discussed this a few weeks back with Tom (Diversi).

It seems that there are different tastes between europe and north america.

Darker, smoother: US

Brighter, more bite: Europe

maybe.... ???

;-))

Obviously Markus......it seems there is something slightly off for most Americans reading through all the comments, complaints and difficulties to get the thing running properly for their tastes.....

My o my...for that bargin of a price......i paid twice as much for the Emu B3 and what about the Voce V5+ + seperate leslie simulator and the Hammond modules of the past ?

They are weaker by a considerable margin.......it seems that the HX3 should cost as at least twice as much to receive full appreciation.

Now i don't have the module, so i can't really comment on what happens with updates etc. ....it seems not so straight forward though.....

Strangely I have never updated my HX3 (have the cable in a package still...), because i cannot hear anything i want to alter...

Yes i am at the Messe the full four days....only at the guitar floor.

I am co-owner of a (small) company in wooden guitar stands.

http://www.cstands.com/

It would be lovely to meet you in person though......

Und dann kann ich auch noch ein bisschen uben in Deutsch.....Rudi Carell ist ein wunder verglichen mit mir..... :blush:

Wir versprechen das wir einander mit ''du'' adressieren oder ? :)

HX3 must be a ''North Western Europian'' thing of preference.....those commenting in an extremely positively fashion are from Norway (twice) ,Germany and The Netherlands :keynana:

Seriously there is some sort of pattern over the years....could it be a slightly continental difference ?

I'm not so sure. The last guy I checked in with before buying the Mojo was Frank Montis, who I believe lives in the Netherlands. I saw him play the HX3 and Mojo on YouTube. I like how he plays so I asked if he prefers the Mojo. Here's his reply from October '15:

"I do, but I still like HX3 as well and I think it has a future. But the Mojo is still the 'winner' for me in the 'clonewars' for various reasons."

Perhaps the different preferences are due to genre: Mojo preferred for Jazz, HX3 preferred for rock? Or the amount of emphasis one puts on authenticity: Mojo seems to get the nod here. I'm not sure; just some thoughts.

In case I wasn't clear on my previous posts, I think the HX3 sounds great.

Perhaps the different preferences are due to genre: Mojo preferred for Jazz, HX3 preferred for rock? Or the amount of emphasis one puts on authenticity: Mojo seems to get the nod here. I'm not sure; just some thoughts.

In case I wasn't clear on my previous posts, I think the HX3 sounds great.

Yes i think you are right....althaugh i am not entitled to really speak out on behave of the Mojo, since i did not play one in real life yet....simply some observations based on the ongoing clone topics and video's.

I spoke to a very good jazz organ player two months ago (in the Netherlands) who told me he had just bought the best clone ever (Mojo) coming from an A100.

He didn't even knew about HX3, but dismissed it beforehand when i tried to explain a few things about the technique involved in the HX3 compared to the computer model of the Mojo, because not only his ears also the sales person had convinced him the Mojo was the pinnacle of Hammond clone progression....so i didn't bother to continue the conversation about what was best.....

US user here... I agree wholeheartedly with Vanderschoot and M.G. The HX3 to my ears is rich, warm, throaty, cuts through a rock mix without any shrillness in the upper register - and many other keyboardists/organists who have used either my HX3 expander or UHL X3 at gigs have had the same reaction.

I still use the ventilator pedal most of the time with my HX3, as I love the overdrive and the way it breathes. That said, the newest firmware 3.92 or 3.93 is fantastic. They have really upped the ante with the Leslie and the C/V in the newest OS.

My thing with the Mojo and the VB3 was always that I never liked the built in Leslie effect. Always thought it sounded kind of cheesy. I also never cared for the way the Mojo sounded with my ventilator pedal. I currently also own the DMC 122 and Gemini which has the VB 3 engine built in, and it's a great system but my feelings about the Leslie effect are the same. It's still a back up for my HX3 organs. Such a subjective thing. If I played more jazz and left hand bass I might be more inclined in the other direction. But I would love to try out the brand-new mojo with the new key bed.

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT

US user here... I agree wholeheartedly with Vanderschoot and M.G. The HX3 to my ears is rich, warm, throaty, cuts through a rock mix without any shrillness in the upper register - and many other keyboardists/organists who have used either my HX3 expander or UHL X3 at gigs have had the same reaction.

I still use the ventilator pedal most of the time with my HX3, as I love the overdrive and the way it breathes. That said, the newest firmware 3.92 or 3.93 is fantastic. They have really upped the ante with the Leslie and the C/V in the newest OS.

My thing with the Mojo and the VB3 was always that I never liked the built in Leslie effect. Always thought it sounded kind of cheesy. I also never cared for the way the Mojo sounded with my ventilator pedal. I currently also own the DMC 122 and Gemini which has the VB 3 engine built in, and it's a great system but my feelings about the Leslie effect are the same. It's still a back up for my HX3 organs. Such a subjective thing. If I played more jazz and left hand bass I might be more inclined in the other direction. But I would love to try out the brand-new mojo with the new key bed.

Lucky you to have such a great palette of superb equipment.

Nice to hear other players can enjoy it too....

I use a ventilator or leslie in conjunction with the HX3...i didn't bother to update yet, because i don't need the internal simm and i really like the original chorus. I read somewhere (this topic ?) that a user didn't like the new take on the chorus, so to me it sounds great, therefor i am hesitant to update not really knowing what is going to sound different.

I am becoming the ''never change a winning team'' guy more of late than the restless person always looking for something slightly better. (used to be in that camp for as long as i know...).

Still fully enjoying the original Stage88......go figure. Albite i use only few sounds from it now due to the integra7 and other equipment.

If I played more jazz and left hand bass I might be more inclined in the other direction.

Ah...we may be onto something here. I hadn't been able to put my finger on it before, but one of the things I like about the Mojo is how, when I'm playing bass lines and soloing or comping, it sounds "right"...more so than the HX3. Perhaps there is something programmed into the Mojo that imitates "loudness robbing" (a concept I don't really understand even though I just read a webpage about it) or some such thing.

Perhaps the "rock" vs. "jazz" argument stems from the Mojo rounding out (or compressing, perhaps) the LH and RH combo better than the HX3. That would be consistent with my experience.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Based on my reading of the HX3 technical documentation there is a tapering feature that should simulate (to some degree) the loudness robbing that Hammond achieved on the console organs. I noticed that it mentions in the HX3 documentation that this is an advanced feature and can be tweaked. I could understand how someone who is experimenting with tapering could mess up the loudness robbing and not know it. From other readings I've done it was noted that non-console B3's did not incorporate loudness robbing due to the increase in the production costs. There is a difference in perceived loudness between my B3 and my L100p when I pull out additional drawbars on both. The overall loudness on the B3 remains more compressed/even while the L100p is overall louder and brighter when more drawbars are engaged. I notice this as well between my Voce V5+ and my Hammond XM2. The Voce acts closer to the Hammond tapering while the XM2 gets louder/brighter as more drawbars are engaged. The Voce uses physical modeling so my guess is that Dave Amels incorporated this feature into the model. I believe the XM2 is sample-based and perhaps makes this feature more difficult to achieve.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I agree with the "rock players go for HX3, jazz for Mojo" comments trend. I look forward to updating my HX3 and trying some rock organ stuff.

I still haven't done the latest update which most people say is another big improvement in the leslie sim. I spend most of my time just trying to play the right notes. :pop:

:nopity:

Someone asked me for an explanation of controlling Dual

Manuals in a live performance, emulating authentic dual

manual playing dynamically, as if using both hands, but instead using feet.

Modern players usually can't just play a B3 part

without having to cover synths, samples or other

instruments.

That's why I made a specific controller for my needs.

You need to load this device in software twice.

One for upper, one for lower, each with their own

Expression Pedal. I prefer FC7s.

I use 6 x different presets/drawbar combinations each manual.

No need to guide the Expression Pedal.

Simply stomp all the way down, or pull it back.

The drawbar/faders are controlled by several parameters,

the most important one being lag time. Then source

(starting point of drawbar) and destination

(target of drawbar/fader psotion).

WHile few people here use the XITE-1 or Scope

DSP Platform, the BOME MIDI Translator software and

BOME MIDI BOX can do this according to the developer.

http://s13.postimg.org/xy0wm6c47/Dual_Manual_Controller.jpg

post images

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

The above device is also used for kicking on an Analog Filter and comping along to the sweep, at the rate you choose.

Also can be a thick chorus or pitch shift algo on a hardware FX unit, like the TC Fireworx, then stomp the pedal forward for exagerrated rates and depth amounts.

Control mixer channel volumes, fade ins and outs, etc.etc.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Nothing wrong with this sound, even for the Americans (?):

:cool:

Nothing wrong with this sound, even for the Americans (?):

:cool:

I think most Americans do appreciate the HX3 sound,....never had the intention to conclude otherwise.....

I was puzzled by the clear comments that somehow the HX3 was slightly below the Mojo in the opinion of some American posters.

And that they feel the sound of HX3 still has something left to improve upon (chorus, pedal bass, keybed, to bright sounding and polished) contrary to the ''finshed'' and fully authentic Mojo package.

Whereas many HX3 users wordlwide think the HX3 edges every current available clone incl. the Mojo, but previously hesitated to say so.......as the numerous and sudden supportive responses on my posts in favour of the HX3 indicate.

Just my two cents.

Having worked for Hammond Suzuki and being involved with the V5+ when we introduced the Diversi DV and then then the Beatrix Based Computer software I can tell you that there are some differences between what people from around the world consider "the" tonewheel and rotary sound combination.

Having worked with Suzuki's Japan based engineers, U.S. Based engineers and then European based engineers. There are what I would say a number of differences in opinions between all of them when it comes to the sound. Even in different parts of Europe I have noticed some variation in opinions as to what "the" drawbar sound is.

I can say this much in the case of Japan they like a brighter sound. I even had one tell me that he still thought the B-3000 was a GREAT SOUND to him. That also might be because he was involved with Hammond of Japan when they built some organs there before Suzuki became involved.

Most of Europe is very close to the US. And Britain is even more so. (Just my observation.) When it comes to the Rotary Simulation that is another issue. Even here you see people that have used the Venti with the HX3 and then after the recent Updates by KeyboardPartner some people say they just use the HX3 others still like their Venti.

As I have suggested before, it really comes down to what YOU have as an audio mental image. Even doing a direct A/B has it's own factors in how it is done. The great thing with the software ability today is it's allowing users to have more control.

I also think some of this sound we search for has do to with the Style or Form of music you are playing and have heard for many years and even the organ you may have played or are still using. Even how our ability to hear higher frequencies can changed over time can add to this trying to find the right sound.

Improvements are still being made and your comments and wishes help not only KeyboardPartner but the other clone makers as well.

And one last thing. I had a close friend many years ago who play night clubs for many years. He had very basic equipment and packed the clubs he played in. He never seemed to be worried about adding new gear to impress people. He said this to me in a conversation, "If I have 100 people in the club only about 2 or 3 really know what I am doing. The rest only want to hear the music and dance. Who should I focus my playing for?" Yes! You have to be happy with your sound but remember most people your playing for don't hear what you hear. They only like or not like the song or songs your playing.

Regards To All.

Just got my HX3 expander. This was to supplement my Forte 7. The pianos and EPs in the Forte are incredible but the KB3, while good, is not quite the sound I am looking for. I mostly do classic rock and blues these days so I wanted a more authentic sounding B3.

Well the HX3 is amazing - with or without the vent - but since I already have a mini vent I am using it with that. Configuring the Forte as a controller for the HX3 was a breeze. In my younger days I hauled around a C3 with a leslie 122. The HX3 with the vent is the closest I have ever gotten to that sound.

On some gigs I also use my laptop for some sounds - especially minimonsta and Omnishpere 2 for synth leads etc. So I spent the weekend working on a rig that would integrate everything together into a rack for quick setup / transport.

Here is what I came up with. First time I ever tried this so I thought I would share it.

In the rack I have: Laptop, presonus audio interface, HX3 Expander, Mini vent ( with ashby solutions mod ), Midi solutions relay ( for changing the vent speed via midi ), Midi solutions power adapter ( in case the controller keyboard doesnt put out enough power for the relay ), 3 channel stereo mixer, stereo direct box, Airpower 2 wireless midi adapter, power strip so only 1 plug for entire rack.

It was a challenge fitting it all in there but here are some pics:

HX3 Rack

Packed up for transport

So from the Forte 7 I just run 1 stereo audio cable and 1 midi cable and I am ready to go. If I have room on stage I can also use my SK2 as a controller for the HX3 ( rare that I have that kind of space though ).