Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

Aspen:

Two questions. They may seem bizarre, but I have reasons fr asking.

1. Your thoughts on the resulting sound when setting the MkII or v.3 on its side, with the 8" speaker facing "forwardish" and the 6" speaker facing upward (toward the ceiling). I have a MKII and sometimes, on certain stages or on a small band area footprint, I will need to do this, given limited space considerations.

Well you got me, haven't tried that by in principle it should still get some interaction from the side and front speaker..and so still should produce a stereo image...albeit maybe not as wide. I actually like it upside down hung from the ceiling best of all (but not easy to do for the traveling organist). I have experiments extensively over the many years since I patented it, and I also like the side speaker placed directly behind the front...but that box design was not as conventional so we never made one like that....in theory as long as the front and side remain 90 degrees out of phase and as close as possible, the magic works!

2. Is the stereo effect maintained or negated (or otherwise affected) if you are using only a mono cable from your KB's mono output BUT you split the mono signal in two (using a splitting adapter) before plugging into the amp's two inputs?

Correct, it is negated. No stereo, no Center Point Stereo. Dual mono is still mono...if there is no difference b/w the signals, then the CPS "sum and difference" matrix will only output "sum" (or mono, front speaker only. The side speaker is only activated with there is a "difference" b/w the L&R signals...as with all true stereo patches or recorded music.

Funny story; I made the mistake of using a mono plug adapter from my CD Player when I was QCing the second delivery of v.3 (this was a L&R male RCA to L&R male 1/4 phone cable plugged into to what I thought was a stereo pin jack with dual RCA females but actually this adapter had a mono pin jack). I rejected the first several V.3 for "no side amp" and thought we had a bad run, before I caught my mistake. I even opened the 3rd v.3 and checked the circuits before I noticed my mistake. I tossed that damn "stereo to mono" adapter in the trash then and there...it had cost me 3 hours of absolute horror!

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

if you insert any signal in either L or R you will get FRONT speaker only, but no side.

I sent a mono signal into just one input, and changing the width knob definitely changed the sound, and I am almost sure that I then also started hearing sound out of the side speaker. I can't check now because I don't have it anymore, and maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but I really thought that was the case. I am sure the sound changed with the width knob... what would the width knob do if nothing was coming out of the side speaker?

Well, it should have no signal in that case. Maybe you heard the self noise of the side amp when it was cranked way up...but even that is not very audible.

I think I'm going with "memory playing tricks" :>]

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

And on this?

1. Your thoughts on the resulting sound when setting the MkII or v.3 on its side, with the 8" speaker facing "forwardish" and the 6" speaker facing upward (toward the ceiling). I have a MKII and sometimes, on certain stages or on a small band area footprint, I will need to do this, given limited space considerations.

KB: Hammond SK1

Bass KB: Yamaha MX49

KB Amps: CPS SS3, linked to TurboSound IP300

Bass KB amp: Fender Rumble 500 combo

www.mikemickxer.com

www.reverbnation.com/mikemickxer

And on this?

Answered above:

Well you got me, haven't tried that by in principle it should still get some interaction from the side and front speaker..and so still should produce a stereo image...albeit maybe not as wide. I actually like it upside down hung from the ceiling best of all (but not easy to do for the traveling organist). I have experiments extensively over the many years since I patented it, and I also like the side speaker placed directly behind the front...but that box design was not as conventional so we never made one like that....in theory as long as the front and side remain 90 degrees out of phase and as close as possible, the magic works!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Thx, DanL. I didn't see Aspen's answer on that the first time.

Aspen, regarding laying the amp on its side, I'll tell you now that I do it enough to sense that the stereo effect works just fine that way. I also believe (or at least "want to believe"!) that it helps me to hear that effect a tad better, making for easier/better tweeking of the effect width on the amp, and of the EQ on my KB.

www.mikemickxer.com

Rigged up a small, plywood "V" with hinges to put around the SSv3. Keeps the drummer and bassist from complaining. The SSv3 is on a small stand, angled up about 30 degrees.

It's an interesting setup, as I can "aim" the SSv3 if needed, and I get full stereo effect. It's not too big to bring to gigs, and it gives me a lot more freedom to position things. Not good for small stages, though.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Used it tonight on a video/recording session/ dress rehearsal for my Floyd band's 1st show. The stage was a little small and I had the SS sitting on the floor behind me, but it was too close, so I put it up on the drum riser that was maybe 18" high and ran across the whole back of the stage. I was able to get it a little farther away. It kicked butt... wide range of sounds and sound effects.

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Rigged up a small, plywood "V" with hinges to put around the SSv3. Keeps the drummer and bassist from complaining. The SSv3 is on a small stand, angled up about 30 degrees.

It's an interesting setup, as I can "aim" the SSv3 if needed, and I get full stereo effect. It's not too big to bring to gigs, and it gives me a lot more freedom to position things. Not good for small stages, though.

That is an excellent solution Cphollis, I made a similar baffle out of plexiglas for a NAMM show where I needed more of the effect directed toward the aisle...so I know how well that can work.

I also like placing it against a back wall of a club stage, even better when the stage is tucked in a corner. The more surfaces it encounters the better it blooms.

Congrats on your innovative thinking!

Used it tonight on a video/recording session/ dress rehearsal for my Floyd band's 1st show. The stage was a little small and I had the SS sitting on the floor behind me, but it was too close, so I put it up on the drum riser that was maybe 18" high and ran across the whole back of the stage. I was able to get it a little farther away. It kicked butt... wide range of sounds and sound effects.

Exactly, great intuitive application solution DanL. As I said, the farther away you get, the more it "blooms" and you also get a better sense of what the audience hears and how you mix with the band. In this position, it will act and feel much like a real Leslie...but at 1/5 the size!

Thx, DanL. I didn't see Aspen's answer on that the first time.

Aspen, regarding laying the amp on its side, I'll tell you now that I do it enough to sense that the stereo effect works just fine that way. I also believe (or at least "want to believe"!) that it helps me to hear that effect a tad better, making for easier/better tweeking of the effect width on the amp, and of the EQ on my KB.

This is an interesting idea. I assume you point the front side of the 6.5 speaker upwards..yes? I also imagine moving the woofer closer to the floor increases the bass response.

OK, OK, now you really got me curious...I'm gonna try that tomorrow!

Hi all, just a quick update on the SS v.3 new run; "Elvis has left the building!"

Now they are on a boat in route to LA harbor, so we are "on target" for delivery to doorsteps in mid January. (Now pray for no dock worker strikes : > ).....

Nobody here is as relieved as I am to report that we are finally "on the water" now, and I promise to keep you all posted as events unfold.

So, Aspen...has our ship arrived? Did they make it through the dock workers & customs? On the way to Indiana?

Dammit..we need a tracking app :):drool:

"May you stay...forever young."

Okay. I have a 7 by 14 room that I teach in with an upright piano and my SK setup. The SS is way loud in there and just tried lying the SS on its side on top of my Motion Sound Kt-80 (used as a sub with a crossover). Much better sound and I do not blow myself away with the side speaker which was pointed at me when standing up the SS. Good trick when in a very small space.
Steinway L 1924 | Hammond SK2 | Hammond XPK-200L | Center Point Space Station V.3 | Motion Sound KT-80 | Yamaha U1

Hi all, just a quick update on the SS v.3 new run; "Elvis has left the building!"

Now they are on a boat in route to LA harbor, so we are "on target" for delivery to doorsteps in mid January. (Now pray for no dock worker strikes : > ).....

Nobody here is as relieved as I am to report that we are finally "on the water" now, and I promise to keep you all posted as events unfold.

So, Aspen...has our ship arrived? Did they make it through the dock workers & customs? On the way to Indiana?

Dammit..we need a tracking app :):drool:

Only tracking now would be by satellite, but darn it, mine's on the fritz.

Boat due in around Jan 1st, then a week of customs/unloading/local truck to me. A day of my intense QC here and if 100% (as before) then I FedEx Ground to Indiana.

So we are still on target for mid January...God willing of course!

Thanks again to all of your for your patience and understanding, I am sure your wait will be well rewarded, in stereo!

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Here's my SS3 placement at my gig last night. Big room and a big stage. Drummer still said I was loud, and he was probably 15' away from the speaker. I used the K10 for vocals only, underneath my rack.

Tonight- tiny room, tiny stage. SS3 might be too much for the room. I might try the sideways thing.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj60/dan88z/Mobile%20Uploads/20141218_174343_zpsgib5zkak.jpg

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I have developed a cabinet rattle in my SS with a new board I purchased, A Kronos x 73, with a few patches.

A Wurli and a B3 on a C3 and D3 are rattling my SS, don't know if its the LF driver or cab resonance , I am trying eq settings and other things hoping its just the patch settings.I am making sure the SM10 is not redlining, and am using the balanced inputs on a channel with the +4 switch engaged, per the Kronos specs.

I didn't have this issue with any other board.

I can feel air coming out of the Sub woofer jack(!!) on those notes so I know I am moving that poor LF cone.

If I turn the volume down on the Kronos on those notes the rattle subsides, but then the overall volume is a little to low,

I am really thinking I need to go thru the settings and find some tone or eq settings and dial them in .

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Yes, AndyW, I set my MKII on its side on occasion (when space considerations demand), and it functions just fine. In fact, I will set it that way tonite, as it's a small band area, with no room behind me whatsoever. I'll lay it on side (small speaker facng up and large speaker facing stage forward) and placed just to the left of my KB seat.

www.mikemickxer.com

Here's my SS3 placement at my gig last night. Big room and a big stage. Drummer still said I was loud, and he was probably 15' away from the speaker.

What about turning it upside down, so that the side speaker faces away from instead of toward the drummer?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Anotherscott --upside down works too. I've done that with the MKII (in cases when I could only place the amp where the side speaker would be playing directly into and much too close to a venue wall).

www.mikemickxer.com

A lot of sound comes out the left side from the rear of the speaker too.

Tonight I'm going to try the floor placement again, get it back as far as I can and hope for the best. Some width control adjustment will probably be the compromise to keep everyone happy.

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

when you guys lay the SS on its side arent you effectively covering up the open back of the side speaker thus changing the modeling of the enclosure and in effect the rear wave of said speaker(which contributes to the spatial environment)

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

^^^good point. I think someone should chart out the effects vs. orientation of the SS. I imagine when the big shipment arrives in our greasy hands, a lot of ideas and info will flood this topic; probably get over-infogasmictation then. :)

It is pretty small, smaller than my K10, but it's a brick!

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

when you guys lay the SS on its side arent you effectively covering up the open back of the side speaker thus changing the modeling of the enclosure and in effect the rear wave of said speaker(which contributes to the spatial environment)

I have it on its side on top of a KT-80 with some of the porting open. Sounds the same.

Steinway L 1924 | Hammond SK2 | Hammond XPK-200L | Center Point Space Station V.3 | Motion Sound KT-80 | Yamaha U1

Success last night, the amp had to be close because it was a small room. About 3' behind me, tilted back. Width control only set up about 1/3 of the way. Sounded great. Even got a txt msg from a buddy who was there who commented about how good my "new amp thing" sounded lol.

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Hey guys, I'm doing some research to buy an amp for my sk1, I'm considering using the Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3. I usually play in gigs with 150 people. The guitarrist with I use to play uses a 50W Fender Pro Reverb with distortion. In the band ussualy things get very loud and I'm afraid that the Pro station couldn't manage that. What do you think?

Besides that, I play the bass lines too in many bands (The doors and soulive style), do you think theSpacestation has what it needs to play very loud bass lines with mid and high semidistorted hammond sounds?

Hey guys, I'm doing some research to buy an amp for my sk1, I'm considering using the Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3. I usually play in gigs with 150 people. The guitarrist with I use to play uses a 50W Fender Pro Reverb with distortion. In the band ussualy things get very loud and I'm afraid that the Pro station couldn't manage that. What do you think?

Besides that, I play the bass lines too in many bands (The doors and soulive style), do you think theSpacestation has what it needs to play very loud bass lines with mid and high semidistorted hammond sounds?

I think you'll love it! This thing was made for the SK. You may want some help on the bass lines but worth taking both amps for the awesome Leslie/CV you get. I use a new Fender Rumble 200 bass combo with a Rolls single channel crossover (Tiny Crossover). The new Rumbles are light, 15in combo is 34 pounds. Some people are using small subwoofers but most of them are near field subs and I wanted something more versatile. Also the Rumble has an aux input that is stereo 1/8in. That signal does not do through the crossover and sounds good when the tweeter is switched on. The SS is louder than you would think and it is clear (yes bass could muddy it) and it cuts through the mix. If you use a setup like mine you have 4 separate amplified speakers--forget biamped!

Also Aspen stands behind his products. I plan to buy a studio only one after the shipping gets caught up.

This thread is pretty long but Aspen started posting around page 16 or so then I got one and I posted some gig reports at a pretty loud bar where we did classic blues and rock. You should read it from that point forward.

That little SS is LOUD and the reason really sounds like voodoo. It's due to the stereo effect that literally goes all over the room and everybody hears you easily. That doesn't take as much power as a standard speaker cab that basically projects forward only. I had it initially set up with too much power (I had my SK master volume at bout 8 and had to put it at about 3) so I turned down the SS a bit. I was shocked. But, if you're doing strong LH bass you'll want a sub or bass amp of some sort.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...