Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2021-2022 Thread

The Patriots are once again the class of the AFC. Whatever people may say about Belichick the human being, nobody matches Belichick the coach and staff in preparing their team..

The Chargers aren't my team anymore but I do enjoy watching Justin Herbert.

Hoodie does have a knack for building a winning team without loading up on star players.

Brotha Gov, dish on which team is your favorite if it's no longer the Chargers. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The Patriots are once again the class of the AFC. Whatever people may say about Belichick the human being, nobody matches Belichick the coach and staff in preparing their team..

The Chargers aren't my team anymore but I do enjoy watching Justin Herbert.

Hoodie does have a knack for building a winning team without loading up on star players.

Brotha Gov, dish on which team is your favorite if it's no longer the Chargers. :D:cool:

My brotha, I've become one of those boring casual NFL fans who just enjoys watching star QBs go to work. Besides Herbert, I like watching Patrick Mahommes, Lamar Jackson, and even Tom Brady - just fascinating to watch how he reads and picks apart Ds.

San Diego State Aztecs is the only football team my hometown has, so by default they're my team now. They've been gradually gathering up San Diego fans who don't care for the Chargers any more or feel drawn towards the USC Trojans or UCLA Bruins. It helps that they frequently have winning seasons these days.

Wow, WFT pulls out the win! Congrats ProfD!

Thanks Gov. :thu:

I've been imploring WFT coaches to play a run heavy offense. It's working. Sustained drives. Fewer turnovers. Less opportunities for the opposing teams offense.

Despite losing DE Chase Young, the defense is playing better than they were earlier in the season. They still give up way too many big passing plays as evidenced by the last Seahawks drive.

Had the game gone to OT, we probably would have lost it. Nonetheless, WFT bent but didn't break.

I think WFT can win a few more games remaining on the schedule but I'm not entertaining wildcard playoff talk. :laugh:

Being a casual NFL carries far less baggage. That part of me keeps the TVs in my house safe when my favorite team isn't playing so well. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I think WFT can win a few more games remaining on the schedule but I'm not entertaining wildcard playoff talk. :laugh:

Being a casual NFL carries far less baggage. That part of me keeps the TVs in my house safe when my favorite team isn't playing so well. :D:cool:

Another advantage for me is spending less time watching the games live and more time on other stuff like doing chores, errands, working on music, etc. then catching the highlights posted to Youtube later.

I guess not hating the Raiders anymore goes with the territory, though I wouldn't mind if WFT beats them in Vegas.

It's fitting that the property that includes the old Chargers stadium was sold to SDSU. They tore down the stadium already and are constructing a new stadium for the Aztecs while they temporarily play in the LA area. They've secured a berth in the MWC championship game. A win there, combined with the sweet new crib is sure to boost their recruiting.

Congrats to Geoff on the Broncos staying alive in the AFCW race by beating the Chargers. A very well coached team that's a dark horse - no pun intended - in this race. The Chargers aren't my team anymore but I do enjoy watching Justin Herbert. Hopefully he'll stay healthy long enough so if and when he finally gets the help he needs on defense and probably other areas, he'll be, well, healthy enough to do something with it.

Thanks, GovernorSilver. It's been a pleasant surprise to see them succeed after I concluded they'd given up on the season when they traded Von Miller. In the meantime, the Rams have been winless since Miller's arrival. Go figure.

I think I understand why the Chargers aren't your favorite team anymore. It's hard to root for a club that abandoned your community. As you probably recall, when the Rams moved to St. Louis, they stopped being my favorite team; and I decided that my new favorite would be the one NFL franchise that was guaranteed to stay putâthe Packers. (It didn't hurt that I lived in Wisconsin during parts of my childhood, so they had been my local team for awhile.)

I hope your new favorites, the Aztecs, have plenty of success.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Justin Herbert's top WR Keenan Allen going on COVID list. We'll see if his performance will be affected in the next game. But the opponent is the Giants, so maybe he'll be ok.

Watched the Ravens-Steelers highlights. Wow, that was ballsy of Harbaugh to call a 2-pt conversion in the last 30 seconds of the game to avoid OT. He'll get away with losing that gamble if his Ravens hang on to the AFCN lead. If not... well, he'll probably still get away with it.

I just watched the Highlights of the Patriots-Bills game, I think I'm going to HURL. It looks like New England is in first place in the AFC and is BACK. In addition the Patriots have the lowest POINTS AGAINST them in the NFL except Buffalo. They win with a stiff Defense and capitalize on their opponents mistakes.Some things never change.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Quite a few former Patriots assistant coaches tried to recreate the Hoodie System with their new teams, but failed. I guess part of it is Hoodie is not a good mentor. But I think part of it is Hoodie is a damn good GM, and like ProfD said, has a knack for assembling a team that works really well together rather than just trying to get some star players and pray it works out. And his game planning to exploit each opponent's weaknesses is unmatched.

I think I understand why the Chargers aren't your favorite team anymore. It's hard to root for a club that abandoned your community. As you probably recall, when the Rams moved to St. Louis, they stopped being my favorite team; and I decided that my new favorite would be the one NFL franchise that was guaranteed to stay putâthe Packers. (It didn't hurt that I lived in Wisconsin during parts of my childhood, so they had been my local team for awhile.)

I hope your new favorites, the Aztecs, have plenty of success.

Best,

Geoff

Barron Hilton, then heir to the Hilton hotel empire, was the first owner, and the one who moved the Chargers from LA to San Diego. He was also active in the AFL, serving as president in 1965. Later, he was offered the CEO job, but on the condition he give up his football activities and sell the team. The Hilton company obviously did not foresee the AFL-NFL merger, then the skyrocketing profitability of NFL football. Who knows how different their history would have been if they had become a subsidiary of Hilton Hotels Corp...

When I was still living in San Diego, there was already talk about Dean Spanos' desire to move the Chargers to LA. But then-owner Alex Spanos was still alive and by all reports liked San Diego enough to work with the city government to keep them there. After Alex died, Dean became the owner and couldn't wait to get the Chargers out. Maybe Dean really thought the Chargers would be more profitable in LA. Maybe he just wanted to hobnob with his fave Hollywood celebrities and live that (perceived) glamorous LA lifestyle. Who knows... I see he still continues to have the reputation of poor leadership, organization, etc. that drove Eli Manning away.

Aztecs ended up losing the MWC but their upcoming stadium got a naming deal with Qualcomm.

Sad news:

Former Denver Broncos WR Demaryius Thomas, 33, found dead in his home, police say

Hall of Fame quarterback Peyton Manning, who played with Thomas for four seasons, also released a statement early Friday.

"DT was a better person than he was a player, and he was a Hall of Fame player," Manning said. "That tells you how good of a person he was. He treated my kids like they were his own. He was there for every teammate's charity event. ... Absolutely devastated."

I mourn the loss of young Demaryius Thomas, not just as a fan but as a human being.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Still shaking my head at Herbert's 60-yd TD pass.... launched while falling down in the arms of a defender after running for his life. Mahommes is probably the only other QB who could make that play, and maybe Rodgers with a healthy toe.

Bills QB Josh Allen is another one who has the arm strength to make that throw under duress.

Unfortunately, my WFT came up very short against the Cowbums this past Sunday. The game was not as close as reflected by the final score. :rolleyes:

I have no explanation for why the WFT got away from the running game that put them on a temporary winning streak. Some offensive coordinators tend to over-think.

Thankfully, the Cowbums offense was not firing on all cylinders or else the game would have been a blowout victory for them.

WFT has another tilt with the Cowbums in 2 weeks. Hopefully, WFT will be healthier and recommit to the running game especially playing in their stadium. :cool:

PD

Still shaking my head at Herbert's 60-yd TD pass.... launched while falling down in the arms of a defender after running for his life. Mahommes is probably the only other QB who could make that play, and maybe Rodgers with a healthy toe.

Bills QB Josh Allen is another one who has the arm strength to make that throw under duress.

Unfortunately, my WFT came up very short against the Cowbums this past Sunday. The game was not as close as reflected by the final score. :rolleyes:

I have no explanation for why the WFT got away from the running game that put them on a temporary winning streak. Some offensive coordinators tend to over-think.

Thankfully, the Cowbums offense was not firing on all cylinders or else the game would have been a blowout victory for them.

WFT has another tilt with the Cowbums in 2 weeks. Hopefully, WFT will be healthier and recommit to the running game especially playing in their stadium. :cool:

I was bummed too because I did want WFT to make them pay for predicting a win. WFT will get another shot at them though so let's see.

It's crazy Josh Allen actually approached SDSU as a high schooler, after Fresno State rejected him. The Aztecs could have had a premiere QB for once but then-coach Rocky Long was only willing to offer him a walk-on spot, with no promises of playing time. SDSU has enjoyed recent success thanks to running game and D, but QB is the one position that's been holding them back.

I see Chargers-Chefs will be on Amazon Prime this Thursday, so I may get a chance to watch both Mahommes and Herbert slinging bombs through the air in real time. Chefs are playing way better than in the Week 3 game in which they coughed up the rock so many times and practically handed the win to the visiting Chargers on a silver platter. Nance/Romo were so hilarious in the final minutes of that game too - getting mad at the Chargers for scoring the winning TD too fast, then imploring the Chefs run this play or that play. You think Tom Brady or Mahommes for that matter worry about leaving too much time on the clock for the other QB? LOL

The rematch on primetime should be an entertaining game.

I was bummed too because I did want WFT to make them pay for predicting a win. WFT will get another shot at them though so let's see.

It's crazy Josh Allen actually approached SDSU as a high schooler, after Fresno State rejected him. The Aztecs could have had a premiere QB for once but then-coach Rocky Long was only willing to offer him a walk-on spot, with no promises of playing time. SDSU has enjoyed recent success thanks to running game and D, but QB is the one position that's been holding them back.

Yep. It would great if WFT rolls into the Cowbums stadium and comes out with a win.

Imagine being the coach and having to explain to football junkies how and why a future star player(s) slipped through your program. :D

it's even worse when those chosen football scholarship duds don't lead the team to major bowl games and/or either don't get a look or make the cut at the pro level. :sick::laugh::cool:

PD

Yep. It would great if WFT rolls into the Cowbums stadium and comes out with a win.

Imagine being the coach and having to explain to football junkies how and why a future star player(s) slipped through your program. :D

it's even worse when those chosen football scholarship duds don't lead the team to major bowl games and/or either don't get a look or make the cut at the pro level. :sick::laugh::cool:

You know I think it was when Jerrah started calling the Cowpokes "America's Team" that I started rooting against them. When I was a kid I admired Danny White for doing double duty as punter/QB and his scrambling ability. Ok, I also admired the Dallas Cheerleaders... for very different reasons :laugh:

Yup, Rocky Long had explaining to do, then restructured his recruiting process to try to prevent future Josh Allens from slipping away. The stress of missing out on him and watching his team lose to him as Wyoming's QB, then several years of failing to recruit QBs anywhere as good surely contributed to his recent retirement. OTOH, SDSU's program was a mess before he and Brady Hoke were hired. It was the kind of team a Power 5 program like Ohio State or Michigan would schedule as their season opening warm up game. Long and Hoke rebuilt the program around their vision of physical football, winning on defense and running. Long was the DC who installed the 3-3-5 defense that has since been emulated by a growing number of other programs. He took over as HC after Hoke left for the Michigan job, and hired Hoke back after Michigan fired him to hire Jim Harbaugh.

This year, they made the conference championship game almost entirely on running, defense, and Matt Araiza (nationally recognized as best punter in college football) and were ranked high enough that a NY6 bowl berth was within sight. But the Hyde side of their Jeckyll and Hyde QBs, combined with 1/3 of the roster (mostly starters!) put on COVID list, doomed their NY6 bowl hopes. A star QB would have made the critical difference, as the team had only 1 loss prior to the championship game. Just like in the pros, the team that lives by the run and defense gets beat by the team led by a star QB more often than not.

The new stadium, scheduled to open in 2022, is already helping with recruiting. One QB recruit mentioned it in particular as the cherry on top.

Since we're dipping into the college world... my Gators had a very good early signing day today, especially considering Billy Napier has only been on the job two weeks. Flipped some big four and five-star commits. DBU is back and it's in Gainesville now, baby! Chomp chomp!

(Plus, the poetic justice of having FSU fans chirp our supposed weak recruiting class all the way up until they lose the #1 recruit in the country to Deion and watch us shoot back up the boards. :cool: Mmm, delicious.)

Yeah that was interesting to see - Deion stealing a top ranked recruit from a Power 5 program for Jackson State.

When I lived in Tampa, most of the Bucs fans were transplants from other cities that took a liking to the team after moving there for work. Actual Tampa natives were more passionate about the Gators or Noles than the Bucs, although the USF Bulls started building a local fanbase when they moved up from the old Div. II to Div. I by joining Conference USA.

As if on cue SDSU reports early signings from 2 QB recruits - both preferring pocket passing/pro style, which is what Brady Hoke is looking for. One of them is already setting a record for longest SDSU QB name ever: Liumotumotua"anaileafi Aumavae

His other solid offer was from BYU, which is one of 4 schools joining the Big 12 in a couple of years to replace Oklahoma and Texas. Part of his HS FB career was in the DC area.

Looking at the TNF QBs, Mahommes was ranked the nation's No. 19 pro-style prospect and a 3-sport start. Herbert, who gave up all other sports for his senior year, had no national ranking and was planning to go to Montana State if he didn't get the Oregon offer. Part of it was a leg fracture as a HS junior. But his HS coach also said 'Didn"t miss a summer workout. He gave up some opportunities to go do some things that probably would have helped him to get exposure".

Urban fired... not surprised. Brilliant college coach, but could never stick anywhere for the long term because of his emotional makeup.

I don't play Madden football, but Youtube engine sent me this. Some players like Mike Williams and Keenan Allen look realistic. Others.... Herbert, Ekeler look hilariously wrong.

If you play Madden, do your favorite players look right in the game?

[video:youtube]

14-10 Chargers over Chiefs halftime

Chiefs are a Superbowl ready team, having been to 2 in a row and as of this minute leading the AFCW. Chargers are not but they're putting up a good fight, despite the scary injury situation to start.

I don't have a problem with the Bolts going for it on 4th and goal twice and coming away empty. This is their identity - it's what they do. I was surprised though that the ghost of Marty Schottenheimer came back and made them run the ball almost the entire drive before scoring on a pass.