Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wow! Say it ain't so. (Sweetwater)

Despite the history of acquisitions gone bad, I'm hopeful that the things that have made Sweetwater what it is today will remain. Like many of us, they've earned my loyalty for several decades now...and we all have plenty of options to choose from.

only time will tell, as the old Asia song goes.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What matters is looking at the owners' portfolio: Hulu, Warner Bros., Tempo Music, Song Networks, Tait (live performance), UFO Moviez (largest digital movies platform in India), Verio (internet service provider), Vector (digital training solutions), wireless communications companies, Univision, TVB (largest broadcaster in Hong Kong), Superstruct (live music platform), etc. etc....compare that to Bain Capital, who bought GC. Not even close. The Providence VCs own a lot of companies that could be VERY helpful for Sweetwater. And vice-versa.

Chuck is a super-smart guy. Sweetwater is coming from a position of strength, and he could choose whoever he wanted to buy out a controlling share. I can't imagine him making a wrong decision at this point, after making so many right ones.

He and his wife owned the company privately. That's a perilous position, from many different angles. When a company becomes that big, probably the quickest way for a doomsday Sweetwater scenario to occur would have been if they hadn't sold controlling interest.

I'm no fan of buyouts. I saw what it did to the magazine business, Musician's Friend, and so many others. And of course I'm nervous, since I'm helping to put together a Sweetwater publishing division. But I really don't see this as a "strip 'n' flip" situation at all. I see it more like a band without a good keyboard player, who found a good keyboard player that gets along musically with the band. For Providence, it's an acquisition that bolsters their other acquisitions. Those kind of acquisitions tend to multiply what a company can do, because multiplying that company affects what the other parts of the business can do.

Fingers crossed, but if anyone can pull this off, Sweetwater can.

'I don"t share his skepticism'â¦'Chuck is still the chairman'â¦yeah, that has obligations to the board, the shareholders and the investment company.

What a gullibull, what a nincowpoop!

You just insulted one of the nicest, smartest industry pros that frequent this forum. Not a good way to promote your own credibility when debating an issue. I'd recommend saving that approach for political arguments with strangers on Facebook.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

'I don"t share his skepticism'â¦'Chuck is still the chairman'â¦yeah, that has obligations to the board, the shareholders and the investment company.

For those that think the video was too negative, it"s obvious you haven"t worked in corporate america or understand that the bean counters run the show.

Hey Captain Obvious :

Mike Martin

General Manager of Marketing, Electronic Musical Instruments at Casio

:nopity:

You just insulted one of the nicest, smartest industry pros that frequent this forum. Not a good way to promote your own credibility when debating an issue. I'd recommend saving that approach for political arguments with strangers on Facebook.

Agree, not a good thing to do to a true professional.

I've had problems with customer support over the years.

Based on the fairly good rep that Sweetwater has here, I thought I was the only one. My experiences with SW have almost been universally poor, so much that I actively try to not buy anything from them.

b3plyr

Not sure what you are referring to. I specifically referenced the original commenter and his take on the issue. Don"t read into or edit my words to draw another conclusion. I have the highest regard for Chuck and Sweetwater but I"m not some noob that hasn"t lived through the same IPO, VC, equity partner that ultimately calls the shots. Try reading in context.

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

b3plyr

Not sure what you are referring to. I specifically referenced the original commenter and his take on the issue. Don"t read into or edit my words to draw another conclusion. I have the highest regard for Chuck and Sweetwater but I"m not some noob that hasn"t lived through the same IPO, VC, equity partner that ultimately calls the shots. Try reading in context.

You basically called someone an idiot. That person is an industry pro that likely has much more inside info that we're not privy to. So in context, your dismissive attitude may well be short sighted. Regardless of who he is, I don't think name calling has any place on this forum.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Hmm? Hearing some of the comments here. I haven't had any issues with them, or unexpectedly calling me. Maybe it's my sales rep Robert, he has been awesome over the years.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

b3plyr

:snax::facepalm:

:nopity:

I have had nothing but great experience with Sweetwater customer service. They overnighted a power supply to me at no extra charge for shipping when mine broke. Just last month my Line 6 Firehawk effects Led screen burnt out due to low power at an outdoor gig. They replaced the parts and fixed it at zero charge even though the warranty had expired. They have always gone above and beyond for me.

b3plyr

If you meant something else "in context" then the way you formatted your message is bad.

As it is, Mike Martin was the first reply to the OP in which he said "Chuck is still the chairman," and, "...I don't share his skepticism."

You specifically referenced those two lines from Mike's reply, and then below added your "Gullibull" and "Nincompoop" comment.

How else is anyone supposed to read that other than you are calling out Mike Martin and basically saying he's ignorant?

No one is editing your words.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

b3plyr

Sn

If you meant something else "in context" then the way your formatted your message is bad.

As it is, Mike Martin was the first reply to the OP in which he said "Chuck is still the chairman," and, "...I don't share his skepticism."

You specifically referenced those two lines from Mike's reply, and then below added your "Gullibull" and "Nincompoop" comment.

How else is anyone supposed to read that other than you are calling out Mike Martin and basically saying he's ignorant?

When I first read Motif88"s post, I thought maybe I"m taking it the wrong way or misinterpreting it. Seems others are seeing it as an insult to Mr. Martin also - shame on you Motif88!

Back to SW - I"ve had nothing but positive experiences with them. Always got what I thought was a fair price. My rep would always check in with me after a purchase, or notify me about something I asked him to notify me. Never bothersome.

I hope this changeover doesn"t affect any of this. Never can tell.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

b3plyr

If you meant something else "in context" then the way your formatted your message is bad.

I agree, David. You summarized the matter well. I've made my share of written and verbal stumbles, but also know that defending any of those has made things worse. The best response I've learned is to admit I made a mistake. It usually eases tensions among friends, business relationships and partners.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Back to SW - I"ve had nothing but positive experiences with them. Always got what I thought was a fair price. My rep would always check in with me after a purchase, or notify me about something I asked him to notify me. Never bothersome.

Same here. Nothing but plaudits for my rep.

I will editorialize that while I never ate the sweets, my kids would come running to get them, which made dad a mini-hero whenever he got a package. So Chuck has been Santa Claus to me and my kids.

No business can afford to stay the same forever. I see nothing in this transaction that would prevent Sweetwater growing from strength to strength. However change can be hard on people. Harder on visionary founders of successful companies to give up that margin of control than many realize. Best wishes. Smooth sailing.

Jerry