Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Unsung Guitarist

Mudcat

I would add Michael Monarch, the original guitarist for Steppenwolf (Born to be Wild, Magic Carpet Ride, etc.), and the guitarist and founder of late 70's Swan Song recording act Detective. I feel he deserves recognition partly because of his past success but even more so based on his recent instrumental recordings "Guitar Bazaar" and "the Other Side of the Tracks". Samples can be heard at his website www.michaelmonarch.com.

For the last decade Michael has been writing and producing music as well as performing with Randy Meisner (Eagles), Denny Laine (Moody Blues/Wings), Spencer Davis, Aynsley Dunbar (Journey) and musicians from Toto (Fergie Frederiksen), Steppenwolf (Nick St.Nicholas), Forienger (Ron Wikso), and Lynyrd Skynyrd (Randall Hall) as the World Classic Rockers. Michael is a guitarist extraordinaire as well as a highly accomplished keyboardist with many gold and platinum records to his credit.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dean Deleo Stone Temple Piolets.I cant believe

nobody mentioned this guy.Great all around

writer and guitar player.Cross between Led

Zepplin and the Beatles. :thu:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if he's been mentioned, but Luther Dickonsen of the North Mississippi Allstars. I saw them live a couple of months ago and he was insane! But he also plays with amazing warmth and feel, and spouts delicious bluesy licks every which way. Their records give a good taste of his guitar prowess, but live it was just ridiculous. His brother Cody (who plays drums), picked up a gat partway through the set and soloed like a madman as well!

Definitely underrated, his style is so original and so good.

Originally posted by wordsandguitar:

Originally posted by thething:

Here is a short list of Favorite unsung guitarists!

Carrie Brownstein--sleater-kinney

cant believe no one mentioned her till for pages in...
Carrie and Corin are both amazing. Saw them live a year ago, and loved every minute.

Little known to anyone outside of the free jazz lover's community: Hans Reichel and Derek Bailey. UNLIKE ANYTHING you've ever heard. Reichel also builds his own guitars, with pickups and fretboards behind the bridge, even. Really crazy to see. Check some guitars out here: http://www.daxo.de/pages/page9.html

anyone heard of a girl player named melle vasquez?

she toured w/pink & is currently in a vegas show i believe

have fun now!

whatever the mind of man can concieve & believe it can achieve!

study it as a science/practice it as an art!

luck...that's what happens when preparation & opportunity intersect

properly percieved every situation becomes an opportunity

The best unsung player has to Ollie Halsall of PATTO - played a stock white SG left-handed and switched to Vibes mid-solo and coda...

Check out PATTO (Hold Me Back, San Antone) Check out Hold Your Fire (all of it, especially intro and outro to Hold Your Fire) - outrageously good. Died I hear in 1990

Also - don't forget Lowell George, Elliot Randall and the fabulous Howard Roberts - Listen to his duo work with Julie London - knocks the socks right off your feats...

Ian Crichton of SAGA is pretty smokin' . . .

A more on-topic player would be Tim Pierce (or possibly "Pearse," I can't recall) Tim played some really nice guitar for Rick Springfield.

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Originally posted by batterypowered:

Little known to anyone outside of the free jazz lover's community: Hans Reichel and Derek Bailey. UNLIKE ANYTHING you've ever heard. Reichel also builds his own guitars, with pickups and fretboards behind the bridge, even. Really crazy to see. Check some guitars out here: http://www.daxo.de/pages/page9.html

wow, what a freakin cool website!!!!!!!

thanks for the tip! i had never heard of this guy. :thu:

Originally posted by funk_jazz:

Originally posted by batterypowered:

wow, what a freakin cool website!!!!!!!

thanks for the tip! i had never heard of this guy. :thu:

Hey, no problem! If you want any samples of his music, I can assist. Albums get a little expensive, since FMP, his label, is German.

Steve Erquiaga

His self-overdubbed nylon-string duets of classical stuff on Cafe Paradiso are just absolutely beautiful. His time is superb, both super-accurate yet breathing.

He worked in steel drummer Andy Narell's group for many years. His fusion CD Erkiology just rocks, but it's unfortunately out of print.

Guzz, great to see someone else in the world knows of Ollie Halsall. I first heard him when Patto came out. Really sad that he died so young. The playing on that album and Hold Your Fire, as you mentioned, is often just jaw-dropping, something vaguely like Allan Holdsworth if he rocked a little more and favored a more trebly tone. This was in 1972 or so, and no one played like that. He was a damn good vibes player too.

"Keith Strickland - The B52's (until his death in the late 80's/early 90's)."

Keith Strickland is not dead. Strickland was the band's drummer. He moved over to guitar after original axeman Ricky Wilson (brother of B-52 vocalist Cindy Wilson) succumbed to AIDS on October 12th, 1985.

• 3 weeks later...

Just some thoughts:

Jeff (Skunk) Baxter (played with Steely Dan & Doobies)

Mick Taylor ( rolling stones - pre Ron Wood..)

Waddy Wachtel - so many records, I can't count.

Peter Frampton (heard some new stuff that rocks.)

This is an awesome forum. I've been playing for over 30 years (I still stink , but what the heck!)

Anyway, thanks for listening.

Soldaze

• 2 months later...

DanielT:

"Ian Anderson - Jethro Tull"???? Tell me you're joking.

Phil Keaggy rules, Hymn Songs is very tasty, buy it if you haven't. But Premium Jams is the starter Cd I recommend for peeps who have never heard him.

Trey Anastasio is still my favorite secular rocker tho. Have you heard "Inner Tube" off the Plasma album? Unreal.

If you don't wanna be nibbled, don't play with the bunny.

God created Eve and me, not Steve and me. - Adam

Must agree with the person who posted Randy Bachman. Some of his stuff will blow you away. I've always been a fan of the little jazz part at the end of Blue collar. I also have to disagree with the person that dislikes Ian Anderson. That guy is a classicaly trained guitar player and an amzazing musician. He is VERY underrated. I guess that's why he was mentioned in this thread.

:D

Archived