Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Unsung Guitarist

Mudcat

Originally posted by DIAMOND DUST:

Originally posted by GitSematery:

OH MAN!!! Peter and Danny did the twin lead gig before anybody, I think. I have every early Mac album, and two killer "Best of" double albums; VINTAGE YEARS and BLACK MAGIC WOMAN. Peter Green was obviously Danny's idol. The "BEST" english blues band ever. JEREMY SPENCER was no slouch either. I have a concert tape of the band live at the "Boston Tea Party", just an amazing band. :D:thu:
Have a listen to The Vaudeville Years it has lot's of outtakes and stuff. - Great Danny and Pete duelling on The Madge Sessions with some very frantic Radar Love type drumming from Mick Fleetwood. Some of this ended up on the album Then Play On.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes you are right about Glen Campbell

having a TV show in the 60's. He still plays

Ovation, along with Fender and Hamer guitars.

He did a live concert with the SD symphony a number of years ago, the dvd and cd are great.

Really shows his guitar playing ability.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?style=MOVIE&pid=2896077&cart=163527426

http://64.224.220.97/store.html

Michael Dowdle

I don't really know too much about the guy. Session player from Utah, I believe. A few albums out. His second, "From the Hip" has some incredibly beautiful playing on it. He's rather Carlton-esque. Saw him live once. completely changed the way I wanted to play.

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

My .02¢ worth

Bugs Henderson http://www.bugshenderson.com/

Started out in Dallas in 60s with Mouse and the traps, later backed up Freddie King in his final years, and has put out about 11 albums with his own band, The Shuffle Kings.

Side Bar: Got to go to a Paul Reed Smith seminar in Dallas at GC. Paul was playing some tunes, the back door opened and PRS just stopped cold - said "Bugs , get up here"

That's impressive!!!! :eek:

Lynn G

Originally posted by henryrobinett:

Oops! Skip, Grant Geissman (not sure of spelling) was Chuck Mangione's guitar player. Granty Green was another great jazz guitarist of a few years before.

Dang, you are correct sir...I tapeth my mouth shut.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Hi,

This is my first post, and I've read through all 4 pages of this list to get a sense of where this community's heart lies. You can tell a lot about people by who they stick up for. I'm impressed with how varied the responses are, and how knowlegeable everyone seems to be. I'd like to add my 2 cents for the following guitarists:

Robert Quine . Although he is indeed legendary in some circles, those circles are just too small. Playing angular,lightning-in-a-bottle guitar like James Burton on absinthe, Quine blasted sharp shiny shards of sonic statements of purpose with Richard Hell and the Voidoid in the late 70's, followed by a stint with Lou Reed in the 80's, where he regularly elevated the level of conversation. Come to think of it,....

Rick McCollum

... Lou Reed Lou Reed doesn't get near enough credit as a guitar player either. Listen to 'I Heard Her Call My Name' from 'White Light/White Heat' and then talk to me about Jimi Hendrix.

Rick McCollum. If you're not familiar with the Afghan Whigs I'm not surprised. For some reason this Cincinnati, OH band never received the appreciation they warranted. Too smart, too honest, too ugly, too adult I suppose. Whatever. They broke up in 99 and we let another great one slip through our fingers. Alas. McCollum's guitar howled, cajoled, regaled and spit, cursed it's mama for giving it life, begged for mercy and cried like a baby for all the times it wasn't enough to simply come from a place where perfect love and human nature made plans for the future in harsh shouts and hushed whispers.

And he played a mean slide guitar, too!

web page punk rock blues

peace and noise,

tim

Although I made brief mention of them in my initial post here, I want to go on about two excellent guitar players by the name of Glenn Kaiser and Stu Heiss, both of which played in the Christian hard rock band RESURRECTION BAND (or "REZ" for short). I first met these guys at THE FIRE ESCAPE, a Christian nightclub in my hometown of Virginia Beach, VA, back in June 1977 (I believe that I elaborated on that meeting in my post in "The Stories Behind Your Guitars"). The idea that Christian music could actually have a beat was still fairly new back then, and the thought that there could even be such a thing as Christian hard rock was unheard of! REZ had a music style that made secular bands like Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin sound like The Monkees by comparison, but there was no doubt as to Who they were singing about--their delivery of the message was as "no holds barred" as the screaming crunching guitar work. REZ, I believe, are no longer playing together, but Glenn is carrying on in The Glenn Kaiser Band. To find out more about these guys, go to http://www.jpusa.org and to http://www.grrrrecords.com .

Robert J. ("Bob") Welch III

"If you were the only person who ever lived, God still would have sent Jesus His only Son to die on the cross for YOU, because that is how much HE LOVES YOU!"

You want to talk about some great unsung guitarists, here are a few wonderful players whose names never see the light of day:

Dave Fiuczinski (Screaming Headless torsos). The man is a fretless wiz and one of the most off the wall jazz-fusion-rock players out there

And what about Jon Jorgenson, Will Ray, and Jerry Donahue, the trio of session musician telemasters that forms The Hellecasters.

chicken pickin' double-stop master Scotty Anderson edeserves some attention as well.

Put that in your pipes and smoke it.

My two cents is for Jason Falkner, former Jellyfish Guitarist, The Grays and solo artist.

His sound is pure pop but somehow he works the most intricate chords structures into his songs. I have a friend who is a guitar teacher(masters degree and about 70 students) and we sat on the phone for hours trying to figure out some of his songs. The guy is a Julliard trained pianist and plays every instrument on the CD as well as sings. I would suggest either his first solo CD "Author Unknown" or the Grays CD (Out of Print) but available used on amazon. The Grays CD also includes another unsung guitar hero Jon Brion. Anyone who likes a challenge (meaning...you can't figure out the song by the time it's over) should pick up some Jason Falkner

There isn't a flashy solo to be found but plenty of (wow that's cool) guitar parts

My favorite unsungs are Pete Anderson, Dwight Yoakam's guitarist/producer/collaborator, and Hershel Yatovitz, Chris Isaak's six-stringer. Both of these guys have incredible taste and great chops; I've never heard them play a wrong note. Also, David Hidalgo of Los Lobos, who not only has a phenomenal sense of groove, he can sing like an angel and play several instruments including the guitar, drums, accordian, bass, requinto jarocho, bajo sexto, keyboards, and melodica.

Welcome to the Forum, Ihategarybettman (I like that name!),

Great choices; you're right-their tones, note choices and phrasing are fantastic.

A giant "yes!" to the person who listed Rory Gallagher...man, do I miss him!

I've got a few more to add: Canadian jazz guitarist Ed Bickert-plays a Tele with a neck humbucker, heavy strings and a tone to drool over!

Cornell Dupree: R&B's rhythm man: check out his CD, "Bop and Blues."

Keith Wyatt, Public Image Ltd: a definite influence on The Edge.

Phil Manzanera, Roxy Music: huge array of tonal colors.

Son Seals: Fiery, gritty, tough-toned playing from a vanishing generation of bluesmen.

Vic Juris: New Jersey native, jazzman. One of those players who, after seeing live, makes me at once resolve to practise more and swear that I'll never again touch the guitar!

Walter Becker: well known, yes, but never given his proper due. If if you were to see Steely Dan in concert, Becker displays really tasty phrasing, a great sense of what not and when not to play, and just killer, killer tone. He doesn't have the chops of most of the Dan's sidemen, but he obviously has been listening carefully to them over the years.

Man, don't you just love it....the original post says UNSUNG GUITARIST, but you see all these post equivelant to me posting SRV or EVH. :):)

Glad to see someone mentioned Lyle Workman, great picker.

Also don't know the cat's name, but he was Mel Tillis' guitarist. He was(is) one the most smoking guitarists I have ever heard, and yes if you don't know his name right off....I'd say he was unsung. :):)

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

alguit, thanks for the welcome and nice call on Phil Manzanera, Roxy Music; I forgot about him.

Other phenomenal guitarists I forgot to mention and who deserve wider recognition are Dave Gonzales of the Paladins and Little Charlie Baty of Little Charlie and the Nightcats. One great night I got to see both of these bands on the same bill. They blew the roof off of Nietsche's, a ginmill in Downtown Buffalo.

John Cippolina of Quicksiklver Messenger Service.No one sounds like him. I still can't figure out some og the sounds he got on their first album.

Steve Kimmock who played with the Other Ones (formerly The Grateful Dead) when they first toured after Jerry Garcia died.Nils Lofgren was a good call.I'm not sure why anyone thinks Robbie Robertson is unsung but he's definatley great.

Willie K in Hawaii is in the top 10 percent in terms of chops-yeah including all the shredders ,jazzers flamenco players and any other chops monsters

I have been surprised over the 25 years that I have been reading Guitar Player that there has never been a feature article on Davey Johnstone, guitarist for Elton John. Davey's guitar work is heard on the radio all the time. He has created a number of signature riffs that are quickly recognized.

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

i haven't seen this post for awhile. but there are a few players i admire that i am not sure if anyone mentioned. Randy Bachman, Rik Emmet, Kim MItchell. they all happen to be canadian.

My favorite unsung Canadian guitarist is Jamie James, formerly of the Kingbees. We're talking pre-Stray Cats retro-rock-a-billy! :thu:

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by cimmaron:

John Cippolina of Quicksiklver Messenger Service.No one sounds like him. I still can't figure out some og the sounds he got on their first album.

Glad to see someone else remember John. Part of it was to have a custom amp stack, a Gibson SG with a Bigsby and to pick using a thumbpick and fingerpicks while simultaneously using the Bigsby.

That said (and owning an SG with a Bigsby), it's still a complete mystery to me after 35 years!

Archived